Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #1936
FFreader920
FFreader920 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Nook STR w Glowlight
Question new site request

Hello,

There's a new site for different fandoms (FictionPad.com). Hearing about writers from fanfiction.net starting to migrate here. Wanted to see if I could put in a request for this site?

Old 10-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #1937
BaconButty
Connoisseur
BaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 & iPad Mini & Galaxy Tab10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFreader920 View Post
Hello,

There's a new site for different fandoms (FictionPad.com). Hearing about writers from fanfiction.net starting to migrate here. Wanted to see if I could put in a request for this site?

I would like to second that.

I actually wanted to post exactly the same request!
Advert
Old 10-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #1938
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Implementing support for a site like this is always a pain, since it runs almost exclusively with JavaScript (AJAX etc.)...
Old 10-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #1939
leckadams
Enthusiast
leckadams began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
Is anyone else having a huge PITA with fanfiction.net? I know that it has been running slow lately, but for the last 3 days it's been moving at an almost non-existent rate.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #1940
seabream
Enthusiast
seabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1, RIM Playbook & Z10, Samsung Note, MacOSX
@leckadams I was using it last night and it was okay, but it was only for about a dozen stories, and some of them were incremental updates, not new downloads.
Advert
Old 10-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #1941
KayLee
Zealot
KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST & iPad Air2
This fic won't download! it just keeps the job going but never gets pass 1%
http://www.fictionpress.com/s/296833...ose-Protection
Old 10-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #1942
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
I won't have time to look at these issues until next week. Sorry.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #1943
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Hi,

I ran across something odd recently.

I was following a story that was a WIP and at some point when it was still in-progress I used the Generate Cover plugin to add a cover picture and I used Polish books to embed the picture into the story.

When I updated the story the embedded image disappeared. To fix this, I re-added the cover and used Polish Books again. The result is that a 43 chapter story was cut down to 20 chapters.

It appears that for stories that are being updated it's a bad idea to add the Cover image too soon because once the story is complete the cover image is lost and if you try and add it again you lose chapters from the story. I'm not sure if this is a Fanfiction Downloader problem, a Polish Books issue, or Generate Cover problem.

Fanfiction Downloader is working fine in terms of updating the story, though I'm not sure why the cover is removed? Or if that's normal?

Sorry if I posted this question in the wrong place. I thought maybe I'm not the only one that is following stories in Calibre that are in-progress and someone else may have run into this problem before.

I'd appreciate any and all advice,
Thanks
Amalthia
Old 10-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #1944
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Sorry if I posted this question in the wrong place. I thought maybe I'm not the only one that is following stories in Calibre that are in-progress and someone else may have run into this problem before.

I'd appreciate any and all advice,
Thanks
Amalthia
I also ran into this problem, but I didn't realize it also affected the story text. I ran generate cover and then polish books and that was that. I don't even remeber the story titles. Could you post the url of the story that was "cut down"?

Firedancer
Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #1945
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayLee View Post
This fic won't download! it just keeps the job going but never gets pass 1%
http://www.fictionpress.com/s/296833...ose-Protection
Downloaded fine for me.

Remember, fictionpress.com is by the same people as fanfiction.net--both sides are now significantly slower to download. A fifty chapter story like that will take a minimum of 4 minutes.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #1946
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFreader920 View Post
Hmmm. That's a very interesting way to build a site. It's certainly not another cookie-cutter eFiction site.

Looks like there's 2752 total stores (2252 for Twilight) and there are a lot of recent postings. I haven't made an exhaustive search, but I have found evidence that the site's been around since 2008, maybe 2007.

No promises, but I'll probably give a try.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #1947
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I was following a story that was a WIP and at some point when it was still in-progress I used the Generate Cover plugin to add a cover picture and I used Polish books to embed the picture into the story.

When I updated the story the embedded image disappeared. To fix this, I re-added the cover and used Polish Books again. The result is that a 43 chapter story was cut down to 20 chapters.

It appears that for stories that are being updated it's a bad idea to add the Cover image too soon because once the story is complete the cover image is lost and if you try and add it again you lose chapters from the story. I'm not sure if this is a Fanfiction Downloader problem, a Polish Books issue, or Generate Cover problem.
FFDL should only replace your existing cover if you have the "Update EPUB cover when Updating EPUB" option checked when you update it. Otherwise it should leave the cover alone. If you still have problems, please post the URL for a story that you have seen that problem with.

You can also use FFDL to call Generate Cover for stories on download/update.

The lost chapters are caused by Polish Books. It's using the ORIGINAL_EPUB created the last time you polished the book to start from instead of the current EPUB. That's the way it's designed to work--the attached image shows where it says that right on the tin.

Turning on the FFDL "Delete other existing formats" feature will prevent that from happening in future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	141
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	112964  
Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #1948
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
FFDL should only replace your existing cover if you have the "Update EPUB cover when Updating EPUB" option checked when you update it. Otherwise it should leave the cover alone. If you still have problems, please post the URL for a story that you have seen that problem with.

You can also use FFDL to call Generate Cover for stories on download/update.

The lost chapters are caused by Polish Books. It's using the ORIGINAL_EPUB created the last time you polished the book to start from instead of the current EPUB. That's the way it's designed to work--the attached image shows where it says that right on the tin.

Turning on the FFDL "Delete other existing formats" feature will prevent that from happening in future.
I will check my settings and change them accordingly. Thank you so much for your advice on how to prevent this from happening in the future.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #1949
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Thanks for the explanation. While I'm not affected by this issue, your message is a lot clearer than calibre's included warning.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #1950
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post

Okay, I checked my settings and I did not have "Update EPUB cover when Updating EPUB" option checked in my settings. I'm not sure why the cover is being deleted from the ebook? [to be clear the cover is not deleted from the Calibre cover view/metadata]

The FFDL option to delete other existing formats worked.

Here is a story that is updated rather frequently if you want to run tests: http://archiveofourown.org/works/543435
Closed Thread