Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
druzyek
druzyek began at the beginning.

Device: nook
softroot question

Hi,
I haven't seen the need to softroot my nook yet but maybe it is time. Is there anything in the softroot (web browser maybe?) that will let you read txt files? Support for that kind of thing should be trivial to add if not. Almost all of the ebooks on truly-free.org are in txt format. I tried using Calibre to convert them to pdf but the result was pretty bad. B&N should have supported txt format from the beginning. Any suggestions?
druzyek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Hi druzyek, I agree text support should have been there from the beginning. Did you try converting to a format other than pdf? Seems like epub or something like that might work better since it's plain text. I'm not at home right now so can't test it myself. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more advice.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
HelliH
Connoisseur
HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook/PB 360/PB IQ
*.txt with web browser is possible

Readers of B&N's forum could have known that you can use the browser to read sideloaded *.html:
(see http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...ht/true#M13619)

I tried a plain text file and it worked though all "umlauts" are corrupted. (Softrooted 1.4 nook here)

Sideload a file to a location on to your nook or external sdcard, open the browser, "Go to" -> "Webpage" and give the address as

file:///sdcard/folder/filename.txt - for external sdcard
file:///system/media/sdcard/folder[e.g.my%20documents]/filename.txt - for the nook.

If you plan to use your nook for sideloaded files I suggest you use "calibre" (see forum here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166) and let the software transform the files to *.epub, a format which nook can do best.
HelliH is offline   Reply With Quote