Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #106
bart34
bart34 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo software for Linux

My very first attempt to post a question seems to have failed, so I'll try again:
1. Is the Kobo software still available ( I sent a pm to the initiator of this thread but have heard nothing)?
2. I assume that the software will allow my PC to send an ID to ADE, yes?
John.

OK I used the URL posted by another member and the deb file installed correctly and everything seems to work. Thanks Kobo and thanks members for all the info I have gleaned from this forum.

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 Kernel Linux 2.6.32-24-generic Gnome 2.30.2 Intel Celeron

Last edited by bart34; 08-25-2010 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Update
bart34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #107
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart34 View Post
My very first attempt to post a question seems to have failed, so I'll try again:
1. Is the Kobo software still available ( I sent a pm to the initiator of this thread but have heard nothing)?
2. I assume that the software will allow my PC to send an ID to ADE, yes?
John.
1. The ubuntu deb? It's posted several times in the thread: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb

2. This software has nothing to do with ADE and what's an "ID"?
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 01:51 AM   #108
bart34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
1. The ubuntu deb? It's posted several times in the thread: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb

2. This software has nothing to do with ADE and what's an "ID"?
Thanks for that 320g. I have the deb now.
I am confused I guess, nothing new. I understand that a device (ereader/computer) has to be registered in order to get a key specific to that device. Without that ID (identity) I cannot borrow ebooks from my local library.
If I don't make sense, please try to unconfuse me.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #109
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart34 View Post
I cannot borrow ebooks from my local library.
If I don't make sense, please try to unconfuse me.
Library e-loans require Adobe Digital Editions. Adobe never did do a linux version of ADE as they promised so you'll have to use Windows or Mac, or play around with getting ADE working in a virtual machine or WINE.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #110
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
...or play around with getting ADE working in a virtual machine or WINE.
It works in WINE quite well. I have a default install of Ubuntu 10.04 and it just installed and worked without any tweaking.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #111
evilmonkey
evilmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
It works in WINE quite well. I have a default install of Ubuntu 10.04 and it just installed and worked without any tweaking.
Did it recognize the Kobo? I could view the ebooks I got from the library on my computer, but ADE running under WINE would not see the Kobo when it was plugged in. I tried having the Kobo plugged in before I started ADE and vice versa.
evilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #112
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmonkey View Post
Did it recognize the Kobo?
Sorry, that question I cannot answer since I don't have a Kobo. Are you sure the Kobo is being seen by the OS? Try typing "dmesg" at the command line right before and right after plugging it in. It shows you the kernel log and you should see the device detected and initialized there.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #113
mvsjes2
mvsjes2 began at the beginning.

I've upgraded my Kubuntu system from 9.04 to 10.04 and installed the kobo reader. When I try to start the reader, I get Cannot mix incompatible Qt libraries. Any ideas on how to solve this?
mvsjes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #114
mvsjes2
mvsjes2 began at the beginning.

$ ldd /usr/local/Kobo/Kobo | grep -i qt
libQtSolutions_IOCompressor-2.3.so.1 => not found
libQtSolutions_SingleApplication-2.6.so.1 => not found
libQtWebKitKobo.so.4 => /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.2/lib/libQtWebKitKobo.so.4 (0x00e33000)
libQtScriptKobo.so.4 => /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.2/lib/libQtScriptKobo.so.4 (0x00110000)
libQtSqlKobo.so.4 => /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.2/lib/libQtSqlKobo.so.4 (0x00c9b000)
libQtXmlKobo.so.4 => /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.2/lib/libQtXmlKobo.so.4 (0x00318000)
libQtGuiKobo.so.4 => /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.2/lib/libQtGuiKobo.so.4 (0x1b737000)
libQtNetworkKobo.so.4 => /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.2/lib/libQtNetworkKobo.so.4 (0x0034d000)
libQtCoreKobo.so.4 => /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.2/lib/libQtCoreKobo.so.4 (0x00437000)
mvsjes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #115
bart34

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and the Kobo desktop for Linux works well. I tested it by buying a book. I don't have access to a reader yet but assume it would transfer to a Kobo if not to other readers.
One major snag is that when off-line I cannot read the book for which I paid. The 5 books that came with the software can be read off-line which is obviously the way it should be. Is it just the Linux version or does this happen with PC/Mac? Are the books included with the software not restricted by DRM like the one I bought?
Old 10-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #116
jvhutchison
jvhutchison began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any Update on this? Very interested.

Fedora 12, 64-bit

Jamie
jvhutchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #117
bart34

Hi Jamie,
No, I haven't heard from anyone. Having just upgraded Ubuntu to 10.10 Beta, I tried again but as I expected, I still cannot read my book off line.
John.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #118
Dinodoc
Dinodoc began at the beginning.

I don't suppose anyone has a link to the older 1.4 Desktop for linux do they? This one now seems to be the 1.71 and when I try and sync with my ereader i get:

We're sorry, but your eReader is not compatible with this version of the desktop application (v 1.7.1).

Please contact Customer Care for assistance.

NVM - I found it in my download directory.

Last edited by Dinodoc; 10-30-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Dinodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #119
Dinodoc
Dinodoc began at the beginning.

I installed Desktop 1.4, hoping it would tell me to update firmware, but it didn't so I have not been able to figure out how to do it after finally deciding I would, I called up local Chapters/Inidigo and they still have the ability to do it onsite, so I figured I would go there at lunch.

Took it into an indigo today to have them do it, I was there for almost 1.5 hours all told (during my 1 hour lunch break) and it ended up getting bricked unfortunately, now I'm gonna be 10 days without my ereader.

I have to wait for Kobo to send me a box to ship mine back in, then wait while they test and see if they can repair and ship it back to me.

Should teach me for buying it so early on, I should know by now never to buy a 1st gen. electronic item.
Dinodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #120
Mal Pingu
Mal Pingu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Kobo Desktop Beta does work on Debian Testing w/ KDE 4.4

I installed the Kobo Desktop for Linux Beta application on an up-to-date Debian Testing system with the KDE 4.4 desktop environment but when run from the command line the following error occurred: "Cannot mix incompatible Qt libraries".
Mal Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software