Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Pocket PC in a Coma/ Joining the Gen3 Revolution

Ok, I have avoided joining the e-ink crowd here for a while. However, My PPC is in a coma and may not recover. So, I took the plunge and ordered a Gen 3 deluxe. I live in Japan so my options are limited as to choice of eink reader at this time. Also, I like mobipocket and the fact that it is embedded in Gen3 I find a good thing. The Kindle and Sony are too limiting in my view and I would love to get a Readius but seems like there will be a lot of things wrapped around it that will not appeal to me.

Anyways, I hope this Gen3 satisfies. me. A bit pricey here in Japan, but then again everything here is pricey.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gen3 ordered today. Waiting for My Bookeen by the door.
Advert
Old 07-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
May I ask why you feel the Sony and Kindle are too limiting (for your needs)?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
May I ask why you feel the Sony and Kindle are too limiting (for your needs)?
It's obvious why the Kindle is. The Kindle is only available to the US. (If one lives in Japan, that sucks.)

As for the Sony, well, he may feel constrained by the number of titles commercially available for the Sony. Or he may not like the limited range of font sizes or the inability to change to a wide range of fonts on the fly...

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
hidari
MR Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
It's obvious why the Kindle is. The Kindle is only available to the US. (If one lives in Japan, that sucks.)

As for the Sony, well, he may feel constrained by the number of titles commercially available for the Sony. Or he may not like the limited range of font sizes or the inability to change to a wide range of fonts on the fly...

Derek

I think the above covers it. I want to be able to read in a few languages and the Gen seems to offer a wide range. As for the Kindle

1. very ugly
2. Amazon showing the usual controlling nature(Read: Apple)

Back to Sony:

As most of my Japanese friends say : Sony good for the warranty then it breaks down in three days......Sony products that is

Sony does not seem that committed to ebooks.
Advert
Old 07-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Sony does not seem that committed to ebooks.
Sony have currently released THREE GENERATIONS of eBook readers. In what way does that "not seem that committed to ebooks"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
hidari
MR Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sony have currently released THREE GENERATIONS of eBook readers. In what way does that "not seem that committed to ebooks"?
Well, Harry I am sure you are up on this more than me. I thought I read the other day That Sony was not going to head much further down that path. I stand corrected. I am just a pleb waiting for my gen 3
Old 07-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Congrats for your choice!

Now it's the waiting part. Let us know how it goes.

Best,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Ok, I have avoided joining the e-ink crowd here for a while. However, My PPC is in a coma and may not recover. So, I took the plunge and ordered a Gen 3 deluxe. I live in Japan so my options are limited as to choice of eink reader at this time. Also, I like mobipocket and the fact that it is embedded in Gen3 I find a good thing. The Kindle and Sony are too limiting in my view and I would love to get a Readius but seems like there will be a lot of things wrapped around it that will not appeal to me.

Anyways, I hope this Gen3 satisfies. me. A bit pricey here in Japan, but then again everything here is pricey.
The Pocket PC geek in me wonders....May I ask what happened to the Acer and why you think it can not recover?
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:26 AM   #10
hidari
MR Drone

1. This waiting for the GEN3 really stinks. I am already looking twice a day for that email from Fexex or Bookeen that my GEN3 is on the way: I ordered the Cybook directly from Bookeen.

2. My ACER N311 IS MY FIRST PPC. I like it alot. I have been reading ebooks on it for 8 months. Well, My PPC had so many problems i had to do a Hard Reset. Unfortunately, Now it only shows me a welcome symbol and I can not find any programmes on it. On top of that my back ups are not working for it.

I still have a warrenty but I bought it it Russia and do not know if Acer Japan will honor it. So, I do hope my Acer wakes up again but if not I look forward to Cybook.

Prof Julie, Do you know of any good PPCs that are good for reading Ebooks and have an ability to adjust the lighting to a very minimal level so as not to hurt the eyes while reading in low light?

Regards,

Hidari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
The Pocket PC geek in me wonders....May I ask what happened to the Acer and why you think it can not recover?
Old 07-12-2008, 02:03 AM   #11
wizard327
wizard327 began at the beginning.

Device: EBW1150, Kaiser,Iphone,CybookGen3
I use to read my ebooks on my Kaiser otherwise known as TYTN 2 or Tilt. It has a 2.8 inch display. You can easily adjust the backlight level to suit your reading pleasure.I suggest that you wait for the Cybook and see for yourself the BIG difference
wizard327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:52 AM   #12
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
So, I took the plunge and ordered a Gen 3
Yay, me too!
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:12 AM   #13
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
The Waiting s the worst

Bookeen normally takes at least a week, normally more to process an order and dispatch it.

So you might have a few days wait. You can however take comfort that the people who ordered from NAEB have been waiting even longer.

What you can do (and what I did) was get all the books you want to read in the Gen3 ready, so that you can transfer them onto the device as soon as it arrives.

The only drawback is that you can't read while charging
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:22 AM   #14
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard327 View Post
I use to read my ebooks on my Kaiser otherwise known as TYTN 2 or Tilt. It has a 2.8 inch display. You can easily adjust the backlight level to suit your reading pleasure.I suggest that you wait for the Cybook and see for yourself the BIG difference
Amen, brother :-) I used to do it on a Wizard (aka T-Mobile MDA Vario), which has the same 2.8" screen.

Absolutely no comparison.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #15
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Amen, brother :-) I used to do it on a Wizard (aka T-Mobile MDA Vario), which has the same 2.8" screen.

Absolutely no comparison.
Ditto! In fact still do in the odd situation when I don't have the gen3 with me, but more often I spend more time browsing Mobileread on it

While I can stand reading short forum posts and a rss on it, I can't really enjoy reading a nice long book on it anymore.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote