Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #31
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I get National Geographic through Zinio on my iPad and The Economist and Foreign Policy on my Kindle.
Delivery of NatGeo is a couple of days slower than in stores... but it's no big deal to me. The Kindle magazines are delivered on time. I really like all of those and would never go back to print (had many more delivery issues with subscriptions - and more delays).
The industry is still in flux and not everyone is getting it right... But I guess I got lucky with the magazines I read.

Good to know about Nat Geo .... The price, I assume, is lower than for the print version ? Now all I need to do is factor in how many years it would take for me to break even - and then persuade the missus !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #32
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
OP here.... I sincerely appreciate all comments, but.... My post was not about refunds, chargebackes, etc. That's not my point. I owned a retail store for five years and I know all about chargebacks and credits from both sides of the register.

Back to the issue: I know that Discover Magazine has my email address because I get a mailing from them about every day now so I suspect I'll get my mag from Zinio when the new issue of Discover comes out. (i.e., if they have my email they got the order.) (I'll also be unsubscribing from their junk mails.)

I'm a "technical" guy who is all about "details" and my pet peeve is people providing you things with ZERO details. Since my "Discover" experience I've ordered mags from Apple store (were not available elsewhere) and 2-3 other mags from Zinio. Everything went fine and I immediately was able to download the current issue of these with no problem. BUT....

When you order from Zinio (or others) the customer gets surprisingly little info. Zinio states "You will be auto-billed at end of subscription period" yet when you "buy" mags you buy a "subscription" but the buy button is for a single magazine at $1.99 (or whatever.)

NOWHERE do they say how long the "subscription period" is. And I assume they actually mean "auto-renewal" because I understand each issue is billed at time of delivery. So I'll ONLY KNOW for sure what is happening by watching my credit card activity.

Other questions not answered.....
- Can they "take my magazine away" like Amazon can with books that I "buy"? (i.e.: I don't really own it.. I'm "leasing" it.)
- How long does my magazine remain available for download? (1 yr, 100 yrs, forever?)
- How long does my magazine remain available to RE-download? (same as above?)
- Does the magazine on my device EVER expire? Is it on my device forever if I don't delete it?

Being "technical" and "curious" in nature, I tend to be interested in how all this stuff works... But all they want to do is to give you a "buy" form so they can sell it, nothing more, nothing less..... Very very little "here's the details" info, if any at all.

I thought the "eBook world" was in it's infancy and had a lot of growing up to do..... e-magazines are ten times worse!

Last edited by 1611mac; 01-25-2013 at 10:57 AM.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #33
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
OH GREAT!
Got back an email answer from Discover customer service. It says this:

Now look at the THIS Discover Web Page where they clearing are selling a Digital Subscription, complete with picture of iPad.

They also offer a print/digital bundle. In my email I also described to them how I had been charged. How could I have been charged if they don't sell it???
Arrgggghhhh!
Obviously their customer service people have no clue....
Make sure you're talking to the right customer service people. A number of years back I had trouble connecting a cable modem to the network. I called the ISP's customer service & was told they didn't support networks-even though they advertised the cable modem as coming with 8 IP addresses. (This was before personal routers.)

I kept trying different things for a couple of days then I called back to talk to somebody else-and was only then told that only the business service center supported networks. Now I'd called the business service center both times-but it turned out that on weekends (the 1st time I called) they transferred business center calls to residential service. Of course they didn't tell me this when I was unknowingly talking to residential service-they just said 'they' don't support networks. And that was correct-is it their fault if I assumed they meant the company rather than the individual? IMO of course it is-but that's not how they saw it.

Anyway, I doubt if this is your problem but it's something to think about.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #34
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Call your bank and verify that you can after that long. Most have a 30 day limit (though it's generally 30 days after you get the statement).
Actually, by Federal Law (Fair Credit Billing Act), you have 60 days from receipt of the bill to request a chargeback.

I would also recommend switching from AmEx to either Visa or Mastercard for your on-line shopping. Both of the latter companies have policies against a company charging your account prior to "shipment" of the purchase.

Last edited by curtw; 01-25-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Credit card company info
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Everyone... please see my post 3 threads up..... this isn't about chargebacks or credit cards.... please....
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #36
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
NOWHERE do they say how long the "subscription period" is. And I assume they actually mean "auto-renewal" because I understand each issue is billed at time of delivery. So I'll ONLY KNOW for sure what is happening by watching my credit card activity.
If you have actual subscriptions, rather than single issue purchases, you can view them all by logging on to the Zinio site and choosing Account Settings->Manage Subscriptions. For each magazine it tells you how many issues you have received, how many are left, and whether you have auto-renew turned on or not.
As far as how many issues are included in a subscription, that is on each magazine's page when you subscribe.
So next to the subscribe button for Newsweek it says "Get 54 issues of Newsweek for £18.42". For the Economist it says "Get 51 issues of The Economist for £93.56", and so on.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #37
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Everyone... please see my post 3 threads up..... this isn't about chargebacks or credit cards.... please....
Ok.

but remember this IS a nightmare.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-25-2013 at 11:07 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #38
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Her card gave her points for travel and getting a cash refund allowed her to keep points she was not entitled to. This was stealing even though in her mind it wasn't.
Apache
It also amounts to a cash advance on the card, which many cards actually do allow. But at a much higher interest rate.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #39
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
If you have actual subscriptions, rather than single issue purchases, you can view them all by logging on to the Zinio site and choosing Account Settings->Manage Subscriptions. For each magazine it tells you how many issues you have received, how many are left, and whether you have auto-renew turned on or not.
As far as how many issues are included in a subscription, that is on each magazine's page when you subscribe.
So next to the subscribe button for Newsweek it says "Get 54 issues of Newsweek for £18.42". For the Economist it says "Get 51 issues of The Economist for £93.56", and so on.
Thanks for the tips.. Here's my confusion... When I "ordered" it said "subscription" but when I actually clicked the Buy button is was one issue for 1.99. I'm now looking looking at my account settings and Macworld shows "1" delivered and "1" remaining with "automatic" renewal. When I signed up nowhere did I see ANY mention of 12 issues.. .or 24 issues.. etc. My credit card activity show two Zinio charges, each for 1.99. Seems crazy to me. Why charge monthly? Why can't I pay $24 to get 12 issues. But that option was never presented to me on the Zinio site when I "subscribed." Go to Zinio and lookup "macworld".. .only offer is to subscribe for $1.99 per issue...

I do have to credit Zinio though... There IS a "Turn Continuous Serivice Off" link right there.... no hassle to turn off auto subscription.

Last edited by 1611mac; 01-25-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #40
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it is very confusing, same confusion on Amazon from what I've seen.

I've bought a couple of issue of Rattle (journal of creative non-fiction) which are great (other than table of contents issues) but the details about subscribing are less clear.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #41
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
But that option was never presented to me on the Zinio site when I "subscribed." Go to Zinio and lookup "macworld".. .only offer is to subscribe for $1.99 per issue...
That is odd. The UK site offers: "Get 14 issues of Macworld UK for £19.20", and MacWorld UK on the US site is similar: "Get 14 Issues for $26.00 US", but the US edition only has: "Get 1 issue of Macworld for $1.99 US".
Never seen a magazine that didn't have a 'normal' subscription option.
I guess the magazine publisher must have wanted it that way.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #42
1611mac
eWanderer

I track all my expenses in software and I'd rather enter one transaction for 12 issues of a mag than have to enter it each month!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #43
1611mac
eWanderer

Here's what a VERY QUICK Zinio customer support email said:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Zinio Customer Support.

MacWorld has decided to go with the single issue format through their Zinio offerings.

However, it may be possible to purchase as digital subscription directly through MacWorld and have them submit an order to us so that we may deliver it digitally.

Best regards,
Old 01-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #44
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
NOWHERE do they say how long the "subscription period" is. And I assume they actually mean "auto-renewal" because I understand each issue is billed at time of delivery. So I'll ONLY KNOW for sure what is happening by watching my credit card activity..
I've had subscriptions on Zinio for a couple of years now, so I will give you my experience...

When you shop for a magazine title, you can buy either a subscription or a single issue. For instance, for National Geographic the subscription for 12 issues is $19.99, and a single issue is $4.99. When you buy a subscription, you are billed $19.99, and won't be billed again until that subscription renews in 12 months. If you have your subscription set on "auto-renew," Zinio will bill your credit card automatically. If you don't have it on auto-renew, they will send you an email when your subscription expires.

You can see your subscription details on your Zinio account page. There you can see how many issues they have already sent on a subscription, how many issues are remaining, and if the subscription is set to auto-renew.

Quote:
Other questions not answered.....
- Can they "take my magazine away" like Amazon can with books that I "buy"? (i.e.: I don't really own it.. I'm "leasing" it.)

They cannot take it off of any device that you have downloaded the issue to. I would assume they can remove it from web viewing if they don't keep it in their archives.

Quote:

- How long does my magazine remain available for download? (1 yr, 100 yrs, forever?)
- How long does my magazine remain available to RE-download? (same as above?)

I just re-downloaded a magazine from Zinio from May 2010. I don't see any issues for any of my magazines missing from the archives.

Quote:

- Does the magazine on my device EVER expire? Is it on my device forever if I don't delete it?

Nope. Not that I can tell. I have magazines that are more than two years old on my device.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 01-25-2013 at 01:58 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #45
kennyc

Thanks for that pidgeon92!