Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #241
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Simple - iphones sell like "hotcakes", not like "can openers". They're consumables. They are used for many more purposes, and so more easily broken, so in that sense much more "consumable". But also new phones keep coming out with new features, making the old phone insufficient for your "needs".
Hm, I just upgraded to an iPhone 4S after having an iPhone 3GS for 3 years and the only thing it does that I might use that my old phone didn't is facetime. Also it is faster and has a new battery, which I like.

Quote:
A dedicated e-reader already does everything it's expected to do. I wonder how many users with Wifi e-readers even use the wifi?
I do use it, but with my kindle I'm very deliberate about how and for how long. When I commuted to work I had a long bus commute and would use the 3G on my 1st gen nook all the time...nothing as satisfying of finishing the 1st book of a series and buying the 2nd immediately after, while sitting in traffic on a bus.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #242
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
I cant see a need for wifi on a reader. But then again our android tablet has wifi...
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #243
gridlewak
Enthusiast
gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I cant see a need for wifi on a reader. But then again our android tablet has wifi...
Same here. I have a VOX for reading and can't remember when I used WiFi.

Last week, I bought a Hipstreet 701 for $30 from Future Shop, and have started using that device. It's lighter and does all I want it to. Gonna wait a while before deciding if I want to keep the VOX or sell it.
gridlewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #244
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Hm, I just upgraded to an iPhone 4S after having an iPhone 3GS for 3 years and the only thing it does that I might use that my old phone didn't is facetime. Also it is faster and has a new battery, which I like.

I do use it, but with my kindle I'm very deliberate about how and for how long. When I commuted to work I had a long bus commute and would use the 3G on my 1st gen nook all the time...nothing as satisfying of finishing the 1st book of a series and buying the 2nd immediately after, while sitting in traffic on a bus.
I clearly remember the first time I bought a book sitting on a bus. People around me ask me what I was doing, so when I told him I just bought a new book, they shook their heads in bewilderment.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #245
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
I cant see a need for wifi on a reader.
The only reason I turn on wifi/3G on my Kindle is to download a book or a software update. Other than that, it stays off.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #246
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
The only reason I turn on wifi/3G on my Kindle is to download a book or a software update. Other than that, it stays off.
Same for me. I activate the Wi-Fi (or 3G) on my Kindle only when I want to buy a book or download from the MobileRead library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I clearly remember the first time I bought a book sitting on a bus. People around me ask me what I was doing, so when I told him I just bought a new book, they shook their heads in bewilderment.
It's so exciting to buy a book at 30,000 feet now that airplanes have Wi-Fi!
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #247
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I find Wi-Fi very useful on my Kindle 3. I generally only have it own when I am browsing books. I find it more convenient than downloading books on the computer and copying them to my device via USB.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #248
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I find Wi-Fi very useful on my Kindle 3. I generally only have it own when I am browsing books. I find it more convenient than downloading books on the computer and copying them to my device via USB.
I guess it depends on how many books people buy direct from amazon in the case of the kindle, but I have always found the wifi to be very convenient and have probably only used usb when I didn't wait for them to push out an update that way.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #249
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I search for books on Amazon from my computer and just have them sent wirelessly to my Kindle.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #250
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I buy mainly from Amazon but prefer to 'liberate' my ebooks so usually sideload and only rarely have them sent wirelessly. I do download the odd free book directly to my Kindle though. And despite showing my Mum how to keep her ebooks on her computer and load them onto her Kindle, she uses the WiFi all the time as it's far quicker and easier for her.

For sheer speed and ease of use, the combination of Amazon, Kindle & WiFi is very, very good.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 01-20-2013 at 03:31 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #251
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My preferred ereader doesn't have wi-fi, and I don't miss it. I prefer to keep shopping separate from reading.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #252
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I search for books on Amazon from my computer and just have them sent wirelessly to my Kindle.
I prefer to search from the Amazon website, searching is much more flexible than it is to search from the Kindle. I search from the Kindle when I don't feel like getting out the computer.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #253
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I prefer to have my current position in the book synchronized across all my readers so they all need to be connected to the net always.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #254
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com
ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Obviously, since we're entering the online bookstore space we have most of the devices. I personally prefer an iPad unless I'm in the sun, for all the reasons other posters have indicated.

I believe they'll eventually make a tablet that can simulate E-Ink, eliminating the need for a dedicated e-reading device. The only issue, again, would be battery time. However, while I find that not having to charge a Kindle for days is handy, the fact is that I'm rarely on the device or away from a plug for such a long period of time that I can't charge it. So that makes it moot.

But as fjtorrest said, your mileage may vary.
ereadingdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #255
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
But then again Ive yet to buy a book!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote