Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #256
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
The wifi is useful to me, but the 3g is really good. I will often be on a walking tour where all my battery charging is done by solar chargers except for one night in three or four where I will be in a bed and breakfast or similar, and the only internet I have will be 3g. So the kindle is really good with low battery use and internet most places for the " must have " book!
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #257
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
god the thought of downloading a book over 3G!! Crazy!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #258
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Why is downloading a book on 3g crazy? I've done it, and it doesn't take long at all.

(I'm slightly regretting that i didn't get my paperwhite with 3g. I don't use it much, but when I do use it, it's nice to have.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #259
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Ebooks are small - typically only 200-400kb. Takes only a few seconds to download. What do you consider to be crazy about it, exactly?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #260
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
I'm with Harry and Becca here, it takes absolutely no time to download a book over 3G, I can't remember it even taking a minute.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #261
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, I don't mind waiting thirty seconds.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #262
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ebooks are small - typically only 200-400kb. Takes only a few seconds to download. What do you consider to be crazy about it, exactly?
Perhaps that you can do it at all without having to have a data plan with a telco and all that?
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #263
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I don't have a data plan on my kindle keyboard with 3G.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #264
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Um, the kk 3g costs a wee bit more to buy than the wifi version, and Amazon pay the data costs. What is a telco?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #265
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Um, the kk 3g costs a wee bit more to buy than the wifi version, and Amazon pay the data costs. What is a telco?
Telecommunication Company.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #266
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I buy mainly from Amazon but prefer to 'liberate' my ebooks so usually sideload and only rarely have them sent wirelessly. I do download the odd free book directly to my Kindle though. And despite showing my Mum how to keep her ebooks on her computer and load them onto her Kindle, she uses the WiFi all the time as it's far quicker and easier for her.

For sheer speed and ease of use, the combination of Amazon, Kindle & WiFi is very, very good.
I also liberate paid content, but find it quite simple to move/copy ebooks from my Kindle to Calibre for this purpose, so when new content is coming from Amazon, I use Wi-Fi or 3G to download directly to the device. Part of this is convenience: my Kindles live upstairs by my bed while my PC sits downstairs. I batch liberate, tag and otherwise organize my content via USB from my Kindles to Calibre about once a month. The rest of the time, I only turn on the Kindle radios when I know something new is coming from Amazon, or some news via Calibre and email.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #267
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
I dont download anything over 3 G cos it costs! Altho Im usually only downloading game updates, which measure in MB not KB!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #268
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Quote:
I dont download anything over 3 G cos it costs!
Well, not invariably. I have a cheap data plan for my ipad for when wifi is not available and quite a lot of data (measured in gigabytes, but it does get slowed down after the first five) as well as unlimited voice on the phone. Anything I get from Amazon via 3g to my kindle I already paid for when I got the kindle. So I might as well use it, if I don't I won't be getting a discount.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #269
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
I dont download anything over 3 G cos it costs! Altho Im usually only downloading game updates, which measure in MB not KB!
Some background info for you, because this is unique to Amazon:
The way the 3G kindles work is: they are a bit more expensive to purchase, but for the rest of their "life", you can browse the store or get books delivered via 3G for free. There is a limit as to how large the books can be - 2MB if I recall correctly. Anything over has to be downloaded via Wifi.
Even if you buy a used 3G kindle on Ebay, the 3G downloads are still free of charge.

Last edited by xendula; 01-22-2013 at 08:47 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #270
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
These days, most smartphones come with a data plan of some sort. Even if you had a data allowance of, say, 250MB/month (which is rather small), a 200kb ebook download would be using less than one thousandth of your monthly data allowance. It's really not "crazy" to download ebooks over 3G.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote