Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #151
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Another random idea: Add an option to encapsulate images in svg tags for full-screen scaling (or at least scaling to display size). I'm thinking something like the svg cover option in calibre, but usable for any image in the book, maybe as a right-click option in the book browser. It is tedious to do manually because you need the image dimensions to ascertain a proper aspect ratio (afaik, I'd *love* to hear an alternate solution).

This might be a little late in the game for 0.6, but I'm throwing it out there anyway

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 10-09-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #152
sensel
sensel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs350
My wish list

Firstly, congratulations & thanks to the developers for the best Sigil ever.

The following are a few problems/features which I would like to see changed

1. In BV when I want to remove a paragraph break I press Delete at the end of the first para then type a space. This causes a section of text to be highlighted. I have been pressing F2 twice to remove the highlighting;

2. In BV presssing 'Enter' adds

<p class="calibre1"><br /></p> to the html.

In BV this shows as a blank line but ADE ignores it.

Pressing space after the Enter changes the html to

<p class="calibre1">&nbsp;</p>

which is rendered as a blank line in both Sigil and ADE.

Is it possible to have Sigil add the &nbsp; automatically?

3. When creating a toc, clicking the include tick causes the entry to be deleted rather than just unticking the entry. I guess I preferred the previous behaviour.

4. I don't find the the Book Browser 'Open With' dialog very intuitive. In fact I cannot, for instance, open an html file with Kompozer.exe because it is not located in Program Files.

5. I really like the 'Insert Special Character' function. Any chance of adding the minus sign and ellipsis?
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #153
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
1. Highlighting is a known Qt issue - no fix. You just have to workaround as you do, or highlight a larger area.

2. Spacing should be done by styles, but in any case the &nbsp; won't be added. The html from Book View is under control of Qt not Sigil. If you really wanted it, you could use Find & Replace.

3. Clicking the include box does not delete the entry. Click on the Show TOC Items only so its unchecked - then you'll see all your headings.

4. Hmmm, it should allow you to browse to any location to pick your program. At least on linux.

5. Can look at adding these. The entries there were the basic html entities - been wondering if anyone wanted others added
Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #154
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
The ellipsis would be good. I already mentioned it in a bug report on another topic. Terrific work, by the way, you guys.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #155
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Some more issues:
The bold button puts <b>. Is not it better <strong>?
The italic button puts <i>. Is not it better <em>?
The underline button puts <u>. This tag is obsolete.
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 03:06 AM   #156
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@jbacelar - those are the tags generated by Qt Webkit. The ones in Code View were made the same to match so you would end up with consistent html regardless of whether you made the edit in Book View or Code View. If you want other values use the Clip Manager ("Clips" in the next build) or your own styles.

Or of course just use a Saved Searches group to do the replacement of all the tags in one go to your desired alternatives, at least you have a consistent starting point to do the replace of.

Last edited by kiwidude; 10-10-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:14 AM   #157
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
Another random idea: Add an option to encapsulate images in svg tags for full-screen scaling (or at least scaling to display size). I'm thinking something like the svg cover option in calibre, but usable for any image in the book, maybe as a right-click option in the book browser. It is tedious to do manually because you need the image dimensions to ascertain a proper aspect ratio (afaik, I'd *love* to hear an alternate solution).

This might be a little late in the game for 0.6, but I'm throwing it out there anyway
I'm afraid this feature while fairly easy to add is going to have to wait for a future release (but it is on the list so we do not forget). We had to draw the line somewhere (both for my sanity and to allow meme to pull together screenshots for the user guide) to get the next release out. Over the next few days we are testing what will hopefully be the final beta build. The last two weeks have added over 100 more fixes, tweaks and some *major* performance improvements...
Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #158
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
I thought I read someplace that the new standard for ePub was going to be <span class="italic">xxx</span> or "bold" or "underline" or "et-cetera"?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #159
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
Some more issues:
The bold button puts <b>. Is not it better <strong>?
The italic button puts <i>. Is not it better <em>?
The underline button puts <u>. This tag is obsolete.
Actually, no. The tags <strong> and <em> are about structure and the <b> and <i> about layout. It has different meaning. Often they are interchangeable, but it means something entirely different.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #160
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Some time ago I asked if it would be possible to increase the font size in the F&R window or maybe bold it.

Has anyone given consideration to this?

Regards - John
Old 10-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #161
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I just had to clarify my understanding of em and strong--this from w3 schools:

<strong> or <em> means that you want the text to be rendered in a way that the user understands as "important". Today, all major browsers render strong as bold and em as italics. However, if a browser one day wants to make a text highlighted with the strong feature, it might be cursive for example and not bold!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #162
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
In any case, if the book creator wants to control the rendering, he/she should always add CSS styles for <em> and <strong>, and not rely blindly on the defaults.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #163
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Some time ago I asked if it would be possible to increase the font size in the F&R window or maybe bold it.

Has anyone given consideration to this?
Not seen any previous discussion on this, and my searching didn't find any either? To directly answer your question, no it hasn't come up in our discussions over what to put into 0.6. And to be honest I can't think of a single program out there that does give you control over the size of the F&R boxes or makes the F&R text bold?

The only thing I can say is that since the F&R dialog became anchored to the bottom of the screen in 0.5.x it has been very noticeable to me of the F&R no longer being at eye level (where I put F&R for every other application I use). Particularly with large screens as I have, which I find does make it much harder to read. And there is no doubt that if you are trying to replace some text it is all but impossible to identify a straight from a curly apostrophe etc in the font/size when down at the bottom of the screen.

I understand why the change was made and no doubt those with very small screens are grateful. Though I'm still not convinced about it but not had the spare bandwidth to investigate alternatives. For instance why not make the F&R panel dockable - people who want it where it is nowadays can leave it there, and people with larger screens who don't mind moving it to not cover up text and want it at eye level can do so?

It wont happen for 0.6 of course, but it is something I would campaign for change on to enhance it in such a way.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #164
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Not seen any previous discussion on this, and my searching didn't find any either? To directly answer your question, no it hasn't come up in our discussions over what to put into 0.6. And to be honest I can't think of a single program out there that does give you control over the size of the F&R boxes or makes the F&R text bold?

The only thing I can say is that since the F&R dialog became anchored to the bottom of the screen in 0.5.x it has been very noticeable to me of the F&R no longer being at eye level (where I put F&R for every other application I use). Particularly with large screens as I have, which I find does make it much harder to read. And there is no doubt that if you are trying to replace some text it is all but impossible to identify a straight from a curly apostrophe etc in the font/size when down at the bottom of the screen
The placement of the window causes me no problem - purely poor eye sight.

Actually I've mentioned this a couple of times. The last time being here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=64

meme replied to this post as you did. First time he'd heard of it.

If something could be done about this it would make things a lot easier and make this a near perfect tool.

Regards - John
Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #165
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Jabby - interesting, I did a search for "font size" and went back a very long way without success.

I guess now neither I nor meme can now claim to have not heard of this one before . We have put it on our list to think about, as I said above it is too late for 0.6 now but if we can agree on something it will be done one day. Changing application font sizes is not a very "standard" thing to do. I know calibre offers the option, but then calibre rather "does its own thing" when it comes to UI. It tends to be left to the OS to pass that through in most applications. However as your original post mentions and I said above I too agree it can be near impossible to identify certain characters due to the choice of font/size. We shall see what falls out of the ideas box over time...

Last edited by kiwidude; 10-11-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Typos
Closed Thread