Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
I'm not entirely sold on $199

I know that that the Kindle isn't available up here in Canada, and this is Kobo's primary Market, being they're canadian,

But the Kindle specs far outweigh those of the Vox, and priced identically. I'm not entirely sure that $199 is the right price.

unless the tech spec's that have been reported by tech sites are wrong, it's only a single core, 800mhz cpu with 512mb ram. While the Kindle is sporting a dual core CPU, a bit more ram, custom UI and a much larger "marketplace" with videos, music, and books.

I think this HAS to be $20-30 cheaper. if you put both on the same storefront shelf for $199, the Kindle is a far greater deal. the "soft" backing, and bare bones Android aren't enough to justify the same cost for significantly lower hardware.
It has the same specs as the Nook Color I bought last year. My NC is rooted, running Android 2.3.7, and has full access to the Android Market. I'm very happy with its capabilities. I'm sure the Vox will get rooted soon enough and open up its potential.

The biggest problem the Fire has is that it's only 8GB with no way to expand the storage. That makes it pretty useless for many of us. Given a choice between a Fire with a 1GHz dual core CPU and no card slot versus a Vox with a 800MHz single core CPU and a card slot; I'd go with the Vox. Videos and audiobooks eat up lots of GBs and that requires a card when wifi isn't available. Since cloud access requires wifi, it's nigh on impossible to tap into a hotspot traveling 65 MPH down the freeway or in some remote backwater spot.

As to pricing; since neither the Fire or Nook Color are available in Canada, the Vox effectively has no competition there and Kobo can price as it pleases. It's a different story in he US and I doubt there'll be many sales down here with the Fire and Nook Color so readily available.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-19-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #47
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I guess the issue with me would be access to other book stores like Kindle, B&N, etc. If the Vox being Android means having access to the Kindle app well as other Epub stores that would be a big selling point with me.

If on the other hand, if 15,000 Android apps means only selected apps and no competitors reading apps then I wouldn't have much interest.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #48
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
•Battery lasts up to 7 hours

Don't think I'd be interested in an e-reader with a 7 hour battery life. I go over a month before I have to charge my Kobo Wi-Fi.

I'm also fairly sure I don't want to read on a lit display. E-Ink is king in that regard.

I'll stick with the Wi-Fi for reading books, and if I wanted a tablet I'd go for an ipad or the Samsung Galaxy tablet.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #49
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
I guess the issue with me would be access to other book stores like Kindle, B&N, etc. If the Vox being Android means having access to the Kindle app well as other Epub stores that would be a big selling point with me.

If on the other hand, if 15,000 Android apps means only selected apps and no competitors reading apps then I wouldn't have much interest.
More than likely, you'll need to root to get those apps. My NC is rooted and I have Kindle, Kobo, Nook, and Sony apps on it; along with Aldiko, FBReader, Cool Reader, Moon+ Reader, etc.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #50
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I said I wouldn't order a tablet--any tablet. And I said I couldn't care less about colour or the whole Pulse/social experience. So why did I just order a lime green Vox?
HA! You're funny taming...I am so tempted to get one, too - even though I've been b*tching lately about Kobo customer support and some problems with my desktop app. They really sucked me in with the taglines about Reading Life and Kobo Pulse. That's totally up my alley.

OH, I must resist...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #51
davidkettle
Enthusiast
davidkettle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Anybody know if it supports PDF files? I looked at the specs on the Chapters/Indigo web site, and it seems to be missing from the list of support formats. Given that you can install Android apps on it, you should be able to install Adobe Reader (I have an AR app on my Android phone), but it would be nice if PDF files were supported out-of-the-box, so to speak. Hard to believe they'd leave it out. BTW, the clerk in the Chapters/Indigo store told me it should be available sometime in November.
davidkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #52
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Did you use the code when buying a vox? It is not a general discount code.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #53
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Don't forget you can sideload apps for this. There should not be any apps you can use on Android 2.3 that you will not be able to get onto your Vox.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #54
davidkettle
Enthusiast
davidkettle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
No, they're not all free, but pretty cheap ($5 - $10, mostly). The 15,000 apps that other people have mentioned are the free ones. There are many more, and the number is growing day by day.
davidkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #55
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
•Battery lasts up to 7 hours

Don't think I'd be interested in an e-reader with a 7 hour battery life. I go over a month before I have to charge my Kobo Wi-Fi.

I'm also fairly sure I don't want to read on a lit display. E-Ink is king in that regard.

I'll stick with the Wi-Fi for reading books, and if I wanted a tablet I'd go for an ipad or the Samsung Galaxy tablet.

ltr
Yeah...I get what you're saying. I was saying the same thing when the Kindle Fire was released. But, now I am looking how they are incorporating some aspects of reading that I enjoy (reviewing books, chatting with other people about them online - because no one I know personally reads the same stuff as me, and recommending reads/chatting on facebook about books). That's a huge marketing feature for someone like me. BUT - there's still the backlit screen to contend with...

I like the size and I like the simplicity (I don't need a camera, or any superfast processor for games), but will I actually use this to read - or will I just d*ck around on it and still use my Kobo WiFi to read?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #56
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
by tubemonkey

Quote:
More than likely, you'll need to root to get those apps. My NC is rooted and I have Kindle, Kobo, Nook, and Sony apps on it; along with Aldiko, FBReader, Cool Reader, Moon+ Reader, etc.
While the thought is tempting, I am concerned about voiding the warranty, especially with a new product.

by taming

Quote:
Don't forget you can sideload apps for this. There should not be any apps you can use on Android 2.3 that you will not be able to get onto your Vox.
This sounds workable if true.

I think I'm going to hold off until more specifics become available as to what android apps will be available and where they can be purchased? However, if the apps can be side-loaded regardless them I'm on board.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #57
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
by tubemonkey

While the thought is tempting, I am concerned about voiding the warranty, especially with a new product.
Technically, my warranty is void; but I could reinstate it in a matter of minutes if I needed warranty work. So it's not an issue for me.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #58
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Coupon code should work now if you try.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #59
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Coupon works for me.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #60
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I really like the Vox. Over at the KF forum we've been discussing alternatives to the Fire and this is probably the best one I've seen for the Price. I will be getting it if proves to be stable. I never was impressed with the limitations on the Fire and full access to the Market is a big selling point with me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote