Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #61
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
I'd bet that getting a WiFi device out on the market became a matter of survival for them. The only other choice would be to drop the price of the original unit below $100. So by adding a $9 part to the reader, they've been able to keep the price $50 higher. That's quite possibly the difference between sinking or thriving.
Don't forget they removed the bluetooth from the original Kobo. The WIFI IMHO was a good step forward. I don't believe the bluetooth capability was a big selling point for the Kobo (offered some functionality, but realistically is only viable for a limited number of potential customers who happen to also have the supported blackberry models and intend to use both).

Wifi solves especially for someone like me, a Linux user, the issue of syncing purchased ebooks with ease. I know there is a Linux version of the Desktop app, but it is unsupported and who knows for how long they will unofficially release a copy of it? I buy a product on what it can do now, what it can potentially do. Wifi would solve that issue. Now have to wait until we see it in Australia.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #62
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Yes, the silence has become deafening, unfortunately

but I still very much appreciate the support I was provided with by Michael T and David F ... via personal email, no less!

I'm prepared to wait it out & see what happens.
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #63
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
So am I happy about it? Obviously not. But I think I can understand what happened, and I really doubt that they've forgotten about us. I wouldn't have minded seeing a mea culpa about it here though. Maybe in a thread like this????
I'm sorry about the radio silence - we've been putting the finishing touches on a few updates and had to neglect our MobileRead friends for a few days, and I'm just catching up now.

We definitely haven't forgotten our original Kobo Reader users. You guys put us on the map, and we will never forget you.

We made sure as we built the Kobo Wireless Reader that all the great features we added there could be available to owners of the Kobo Reader shortly after we shipped the Kobo Wireless Reader.

We had actually planned to do a firmware release for the Kobo Reader before the Kobo Wireless Reader shipped, but found some pretty serious performance issues that put that on hold at the time. The only thing that is worse than shipping late is shipping broken, and I wouldn't want to put all of our long time customers through that.

We've since addressed them and are starting a closed beta this week with the new firmware.

The update is coming soon - bare with us just a little bit longer.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #64
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
The update is coming soon - bare with us just a little bit longer.
Finally! The naked truth from a Kobo employee!

Or is that Too Much Information?
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #65
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post

This is a shocking demand on Kobo's part. If we want firmware updates we have to go bare with them? Please!

JCKobo, can't you folks can't get people to attend your nudist parties without dangling (pardon the wording) the firmware carrot?

Last edited by Mememememe; 11-03-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Oops, misidentified the poster.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #66
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mememememe View Post
This is a shocking demand on Kobo's part. If we want firmware updates we have to go bare with them? Please!

JCKobo, can't you folks can't get people to attend your nudist parties without dangling (pardon the wording) the firmware carrot?
Well, if you're hanging out anyway...
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #67
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post

We're an open book, in more ways than one.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #68
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
You must remember though that at the very least Kobo support actually participate in this forum, unlike other manufacturers forums, such as Kindle or Sony.
Not high on the list of buyer priorities though i would've thought

JC - are you going to give a brief on what's being addressed in the new firmware release, or is it just going to be a surprise?
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:53 AM   #69
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
JC - are you going to give a brief on what's being addressed in the new firmware release, or is it just going to be a surprise?
Take it as a present - surprise. Open it with pure happiness and sing
proper songs. Tell us how go-to function works, if you could find it.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #70
triffids
BookWorm
triffids began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader (1st generation)
I'm still happy with my original Kobo (I've gotten into habits to reduce annoyance at slow start-up, page turns, etc.), but I do wish that the Kobo promotional emails would specify right in the title if the content only applies to the new Kobo wireless. (E.g., if the "Free 30-Day Trial of The New York Times!" were "Free 30-Day Trial of The New York Times on iPad, iPhone, & Kobo wireless reader!", my hopes wouldn't be raised only to be dashed when I open the email.)

Okay, I'm pouting a little that original Kobo eReaders don't get the newspaper/magazine functionality. And I hope we do see a firmware update that improves a few things one of these days ...
triffids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #71
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
Once we have a final feature list, I'll be sure to post it.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #72
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Any ideas when that will be? I'm still torn between a Sony and a Kobo.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #73
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
What features does the latest Sony have that a Kobo doesn't? And aren't the Sony's A LOT more expensive?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #74
Running Man
Running Man began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350 & PRS650, Kobo EReader, Acer 1830TimelineX
Just a note - you can actually read newspapers on the Original Kobo EReader. Downloaded a free copy of the National Review Nov 2010 from Sony Ebook store - ebookstore.sony.com; drag and dropped it into my Kobo Ereader, and it read fine. The format of the newspaper is epub. The table of content is your navagational tool for the newspaper. Now, I am wondering, is the newspaper offered by Kobo in epub format. If it is, then why can it not be read on the original Kobo EReader?

Cheers
Running Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #75
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
Once we have a final feature list, I'll be sure to post it.
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
Any ideas when that will be? I'm still torn between a Sony and a Kobo.
If you're holding your breath, then let it out... we don't want you to die!
The sony and kobo are completely different and are in different price brackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
What features does the latest Sony have that a Kobo doesn't? And aren't the Sony's A LOT more expensive?
Epically faster system, touch screen, annotation and notes, multiple bookmarks, e-ink pearl screen, better PDF handling... i could go on, but i'd risk another telling off via PM.

They're totally different devices to be honest. The Sony 650 is basically twice the price of the Kobo. The Kobo isn't trying to compete with the sony line; the Kobo is an entry level device that reads books (well.. did, now it's got wireless and stuff as well) and does it reasonably well with a nice 7" screen.
If you don't have heaps to spend then the Kobo is a great device... if money isn't a problem and you want some extra features, build quality and speed then have a look at the Sony.

It's horses for courses; choose what is right for you and will suit your usage. If a feature you want is missing, don't buy a device in the hope that it will be included in a firmware update... in the same breath, don't settle for something you think you can 'live with' in order to have an ereader, it will only come irritate you in the future.

I own the Sony 650 and the original (old school, yeah baby!) Kobo; they're both great. I have basically transitioned completely over to the sony because it had features that i wanted and were easy to access. That's me, you may be different (i hope you are, i'd hate to be me).

digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote