Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
August Discussion: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (spoilers)

Let's discuss the August MobileRead Book Club selection, The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. What did you think?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I haven't even started and I'm god knows how far away from starting.

So...far...behind.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I''ve started, but I haven't finished. It's an enjoyable journey so far.

I'll return to this thread when I'm finished.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Great book! I read the English version. I'm going to add Zafon to my TBR list.

Thank you WT Sharpe for nominating it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's a very nicely written book. It has a sense of style to it and I like that a lot.

I really was absorbed by the atmosphere of the story, the setting, the characters, the interwovenness. I liked a lot about this book, but every now and then I'd read a passage that just seemed wrong to me and the ending just left me flat. Especially the falling action which drained away too much of the atmosphere that had been built up. I was left with nothing of the magic the story had started with.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I really enjoyed the book.
I liked how the story was told up until the end. The end was too much of a Hollywood happy end. I don't mind happy endings at all, but they really don't have to be spelled out so much, but rather implied, left more to the reader to kind of make what they want of.
There is a (relatively small) thing in the story that doesn't add up to me and therefor bugs me a bit. I won't mention it right now, because I want to see some more general views first.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I''ve started, but I haven't finished. It's an enjoyable journey so far.

I'll return to this thread when I'm finished.
I've 90 pages left.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I read this mid-2011, so my memory is a bit hazy, but I did give it 4 stars on GR at the time. I do remember enjoying it a lot, particularly the secret Cemetery of Forgotten Books section. I didn't particularly like the love story of Julian and Penelope, which I found unsatisfying and unfulfilling, but overall a great read.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did finish The Shadow of the Wind and it was not bad overall. It was slow in parts. Some of the back story of Julián Carax was rather slow. There was too much of it (overall). For example, near the end, the letter that was written to tell the truth was a bit slow.

The ending was a bit of a deus ex machina. But after that, it was good.

Some of the time I just wanted to slap all of them.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Still reading it (had a lot on my reading list since it was back to school month) and really have found it captivating so far. The beginning has just the right touch of mysterious to pull a reader in....and makes me loath to put the book down.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookatarian View Post
Still reading it (had a lot on my reading list since it was back to school month) and really have found it captivating so far. The beginning has just the right touch of mysterious to pull a reader in....and makes me loath to put the book down.
There are parts in the middle that may slow you down. But nearer to the end, it does pick up.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I really enjoyed the book.
I liked how the story was told up until the end. The end was too much of a Hollywood happy end. I don't mind happy endings at all, but they really don't have to be spelled out so much, but rather implied, left more to the reader to kind of make what they want of.
There is a (relatively small) thing in the story that doesn't add up to me and therefor bugs me a bit. I won't mention it right now, because I want to see some more general views first.
I found the ending most satisfying. Yes, it was a happy ending, but not a perfect ending. It was plain that his father-in-law would never be completely accepting of Daniel even though he went through the motions. It was also plain that despite the letters from Tomás to Bea which always included regards to Daniel, the two old friends would never completely reconcile. I'm glad the author took the time to follow up on the fate of the characters as he did.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I must admit I was perplexed by the level of Mr. Aguilar's hostility to Daniel, but even more so by the hostility of his son Tomás. Up to his announced wedding to Bea I was half-expecting an unpleasant surprise of the sort that we discovered about Penélope and Julián Carax.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm still reading our August book, only halfway through. I settled into a routine of reading only a few chapters at a time although not for lack of enjoyment.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
This is my first participation in a Mobileread book club discussion. I've wanted to participate for some time. I read Shadow of the Wind on my vacation a couple weeks ago. I wasn't as impressed as I was hoping. I found I could have done without much of the meandering around through the middle of the book. I also found - and this may be a translation thing - that there was a lack of good dialogue and too much lengthy narrative.
I was actually okay with the happy ending, although I would have liked more interaction between Thomas and Daniel. I found that entire relationship to be unsatisfactory. It needed to be there for the story to work the way the author wanted it to, but because they hardly interacted with each other it was hard for me to see them as best friends and Thomas's ignoring of Daniel just seemed childish and inconsistent with what we were to believe of him.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote