Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #196
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The one time I tried using soft hyphens in an epub, ADE and my Kobo WiFi both broke words at the soft hyphen but neither showed a hyphen at the break.

Weird toys, these computers...

Regards,
David
My 650 did the same thing breaking correctly without displaying any hyphen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #197
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Most published epubs are not hyphenated but when a kepub contains soft hyphens in the body text the kepub will not be rendered correctly.
When the text alignment is set to justified. The text-alignment is actually aligned to the left instead to both left and right margins.
Is this a Kobo-purchased kepub or a kepub from my plugin?
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #198
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
I believe with the Touch you use the home button instead of the light button and do the same thing.
You do, but you must first make sure the device is OFF by doing a long power-button hold (the screen, if the device is locked up, will not change). Then, if it doesn't work, repeat the whole factory reset procedure from the start.

It would be good if someone would make a little video tutorial on the correct way to do Kobo resets, wouldn't it? The website FAQ is useless.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #199
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
I thought I might amuse myself with a game of chess on my KT, unfortunately the past issue with the board going totally white mid game(especially when you take pieces from Kobo) is still around.

Once you out think it, it does the electronic equivalent of flipping the board over.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #200
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
fraughton,

I'd charge it up and try the paperclip reset and holding it for five to ten seconds before releasing. Then try powering up normally. If that fails try the power switch for at least ten seconds and then try the reset again. No Dice there? Try the switch for ten seconds, then try holding the reset while flicking or holding the switch.

If all else fails, troll through the forum and find the threads regarding writing a new image or firmware directly to the internal SDHC in the reader. Unless it's a really old Touch, you should be able to open the case, remove the internal SDHC(if it has one) and write a new image directly to the card so it can boot from that. Worth a shot.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #201
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
2.4 has given me the least amount of problems. Is 2.5 as good or is it buggy enough that I should stick with 2.4 until the next release?
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #202
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My 650 did the same thing breaking correctly without displaying any hyphen.
Hmmm... I'd suspect any device using Adobe's Reader Mobile would show the same issue then.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #203
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily7 View Post
2.4 has given me the least amount of problems. Is 2.5 as good or is it buggy enough that I should stick with 2.4 until the next release?
I've found 2.5 to be as stable as 2.4. If you are annoyed by the going back to sleep bug/feature, it seems to be gone. 2.5 seems faster than 2.4 with my collection of books on an SD card mostly due to caching cover images and other information on the SD card.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #204
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Regarding the "light bug", I suspect this is related to the manufacturing tolerances of the LEDs used and the associated driver hardware - when you crank down the "light level" setting below a certain point the LED will no longer produce light. Previously the lowest setting may not have hit the "switch-off" point of any LEDs, now with a lower lowest setting some LEDs will cut off. Also it probably takes a bit more "ooomph" to switch on the LED than to keep it on and dim it beyond what would be it's "on" point. This would be why it stays on at the lowest level but when you sleep and wake up it doesn't illuminate at that same level (or at all).

Manufacturing tolerances would explain why some folk see a problem, others don't.

Not really a bug that could be fixed in software other than taking away the ability on some devices to lower the level beyond what was previously possible.

BobC
Great theory, BobC. Makes perfect sense.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:27 AM   #205
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily7 View Post
As far as I can tell 2.5 seems to be a general improvement:
- it feels a bit faster
- fonts are drawn with a bit more contrast
- the light goes a bit dimmer
- some bug fixed as mentioned above

With the usual handful of (major) new bugs:

- usermade dictonaries don't work
- cover images on the sdcard are created in a very low resolution
- on some device the light doesn't turn on when you have it on the lowest setting (have to turn it up one notch to get it on again)

You have to decide what is important to you.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #206
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I like the changes I've noticed to my Calibre side loaded, Main memory stored, Epubs.

Just downloaded Donna Leon's latest (using a 35% welcome back discount) and found the following:
- when I press for the page menu to show - percentage read sits in the left corner (don't think that there was on side loaded main menu epubs before);

- from the contents table when I select a chapter the 'Previous Location' message sits in bottom left corner;

- Search book now has the choices of:Bookstore, Library, In Book. (Don't think they were there before);

- Annotations, highlight and Add Note seems to have changed and improved since the last time I used them.

Well, I'm still finding the changes - but thought I'd share those.

Hope they haven't been pointed out before - I stopped reading approx page 8 in this thread (had to do other things, lol!)
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #207
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Oh, and Calibre didn't recognise this Kobo update (so it told me), but it gave me the option and I downloaded anyway - which appears to have been entirely successful.

It's the latest Calibre version.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #208
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Post Notify Kobo directly about firmware bugs

To urge Kobo to fix their latest buggy firmware release contact and notify them about all found bugs in their latest firmware release. If they take customer care seriously they'll be very pleased to hear from you.
Just write in your native language to one of the following email addresses:

Australia/Canada/Ireland/New Zealand/UK/USA: help@kobobooks.com
Deutschland: hilfe@kobo.com
Schweiz (Suisse): hilfe.ch@kobobooks.com
Holland: help.nl@kobobooks.com
France: aide@kobobooks.com
Italia: aiuto.itl@kobobooks.com
España: ayuda.es@kobobooks.com
Portugal/Brasil: ajuda.pt@kobobooks.com
Japan: お問い合わせ
South Africa (Suid-Afrika): picknpay@kobobooks.com

Last edited by Anak; 04-23-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #209
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
The unstable selection thumbs bug is still there.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #210
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraughton View Post
Thanks for the reply PeterT. I just tried another factory reset to no avail. The problem here is no matter what I do my screen is completely blank. The only hint I have is the blinking green light on top, but I havent been able to find a troubleshooting guide with an explanation of what that means.
Im hopeful that kobo will eventually answer the phone and have some help for me.
My Mini has done the same. Holding the switch to the side for 10 seconds several times has usually fixed it, but once I had to let it discharge completely and plug it into the computer USB port and in a few minutes it came back.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote