Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #35821
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I was just reading the back of a packet of cable clips I got from Deal Extreme yesterday. A couple of years ago I bought the original ones these are clearly knock off ones, going by the grammar mistakes and strange sentences. The last sentence on the back is "Cables [sic] mess will not happen if you have it in hand which will bring you happy feeling". I especially like how these clips should give you a happy feeling!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #35822
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I was just reading the back of a packet of cable clips I got from Deal Extreme yesterday. A couple of years ago I bought the original ones these are clearly knock off ones, going by the grammar mistakes and strange sentences. The last sentence on the back is "Cables [sic] mess will not happen if you have it in hand which will bring you happy feeling". I especially like how these clips should give you a happy feeling!
This sounds like typical 'Japanglish.' We see it every day, when ever the Japanese try to translate advertising. For some reason, they will spend thousands on design but refuse to spend pennies on proof-reading. This billboard for 'Polish Sausage' sandwiches is all over the city. They must have printed thousands of them, but never bothered to have the spelling checked by a Native English Speaker.

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cleaning1.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	103013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polish.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	103014  
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #35823
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm recovering from my loud traumatic morning.

It was time to take Stella cat into the vet for her yearly "wellness" exam & shots. In previous years Stella has loved visiting her vet - we go to a cats only practice - and our veterinarian fussed over her!

So this morning, I load Stella into her travel crate - at which she begins to yowl at the top of her lungs - for the entire drive. Dislocating my arm so that I could shove my fingers through the ventilation holes in the crate was not helpful.

So, we arrive at the office - still yowling - and are IMMEDIATELY taken back into an exam room. Opening the crate door releases a Tasmanian devil into the room - Stella is in a full-blown panic attack - racing in circles at top speed around & around & around the room - still yowling. I catch her in mid-leap - as she tries to launch herself onto the top of the X-Ray viewer. I spend the next 15 minutes wrestling her on the floor, speaking in a calm & soothing voice, singing, you name it - and finally jam her inside my coat - where she quiets down. Her temp is so high, her ears and nose are bright red - and I'm sweating profusely inside my zipped coat. Not to mention navy blue slacks now upholstered with cat hair.

So, the vet & her assistant enter the room - and extract Stella from her coat cave and place her on the slippery exam table - where Stella promptly calms down and starts purring - even gives the vet a nose kiss. Even the rabies shot doesn't get a growl.

Then Stella calmly walks into her travel crate and lies down.

We drive home, with Stella softly wailing the entire way.

To be continued in the "What's in your cup" thread!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:18 AM   #35824
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
To be continued in the "What's in your cup" thread!
Ugh, since when did life start having crossover events?

Cats certainly do like to make such a fuss when transporting them. Had to tune ours out on all three of the long moves we've made since we've had her.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #35825
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cats... Go figure. If I take Felicity's travel box down from the shelf and try to catch her, she will go flying under, through, around, over, in behind every available obstetrical in the house. We usually just close all the doors to seal off two rooms to make life easier for us. But the last two times we had to take her to the Vets, something intervened between taking down the carrier and trying to find the cat... Don't remember what it was, but ten minutes later when we realized we needed to hurry, Felicity was laying down contentedly INSIDE the carrier waiting for us... Now we don't 'try' to put her in any more. We just open the carrier door and walk away. Problem solved. It only took us about 8 years to learn this trick.

Stitchawl
Old 03-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #35826
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Now it's obstetrics and cats? things are getting weirder and weirder
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #35827
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Getting ready to sign off, hang upside down, and meditate for a few minutes. Then read a bit and perhaps return to MR for a spell.

Pooh, you have a weird cat.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #35828
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Getting ready to sign off, hang upside down, and meditate for a few minutes. Then read a bit and perhaps return to MR for a spell.
So you are a vampire and a wizard. I always suspected as much...

Right now I am vegitating after cooking a large Sunday Roast.

Whilst the rest of the family clean up .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #35829
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

Pooh, you have a weird cat.
Can I strap her into your inversion apparatus?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #35830
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
So you are a vampire and a wizard. I always suspected as much...

Right now I am vegitating after cooking a large Sunday Roast.

Whilst the rest of the family clean up .
Wow, you have a good life. I have to cook the Sunday lunch (meat and potato pie etc.. yesterday) and clear up afterwards!

Right now though, I'm at work but looking forward to a nice restaurant meal this evening courtesy of father-in-law's winning bets at the horse racing.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #35831
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A Monday morning dilemma. Will I or won't I put up a sign for the mail man?

I'm expecting a package between today and Wednesday, today our store's closed and many mail men don't understand someone can live over a shop. They don't even ring the doorbell but leave a note that nobody was home and that they return another day, even if I'm sitting in the livingroom waiting to open the door.

The downside of putting up a sign is is that customers think that sign means that we just pretend to be closed but that we will help special customers (them). And then get angry when I refuse to help them.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #35832
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Put a note on the door and say that you are home only for deleveries, otherwise you are napping or doing normal day off things, like reading. Heck give them a list of all the non-work related things you are doing. Make sure to include washing your hair, cutting your nails, eating, reading, and a few other items.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #35833
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Put a note on the door and say that you are home only for deleveries, otherwise you are napping or doing normal day off things, like reading. Heck give them a list of all the non-work related things you are doing. Make sure to include washing your hair, cutting your nails, eating, reading, and a few other items.
I always put "For customers: the store's closed on Monday".

However, those that ring the doorbell think they have a right to do so because they've been customers for a long time or think that they have an emergency that warrants ringing the doorbell. And I don't mind helping out when it is an actual emergency, like a blown fuse or such, however, I don't think a broken lightbulb in the extractor fan over the stove is an emergency.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #35834
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Going through all my ebooks in Calibre, converting those that aren't converted yet to AZW3 format and deleting all the duplicate files that aren't in a format that my Kindle can read. Whilst doing this I'm "singing" along with The Who's Tommy.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #35835
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Going through all my ebooks in Calibre, converting those that aren't converted yet to AZW3 format and deleting all the duplicate files that aren't in a format that my Kindle can read. Whilst doing this I'm "singing" along with The Who's Tommy.
Ever since I was a young boy, I've played the silver ball. From Soho down to Brighton I must have played them all....
I remember when that first came out. 1969. We were all singing along! We'd take Bookcase Speakers and place them about 10" apart facing each other, then put our heads in the middle... No wonder I'm deaf today.

With all these years gone by, I guess it really has taken on "Classic" status.

Stitchawl

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?