Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #46
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Wonder how many people read Dan Brown just to learn about the standards of "good" or "bad" writing, given the amount of critical attention he gets.

I mean there are lots of great ways to think of bad writing. It can be obtuse, redundant, repetitive, contrived, verbose, sparse, and a bunch of other adjectives. Sometimes a writer can roll more than one of these into an indigestible literary omelet...I wonder how Mr. Brown fares.
Look at most of my long posts, and you'll see just how bad some writing can be hehe
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #47
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Wonder how many people read Dan Brown just to learn about the standards of "good" or "bad" writing, given the amount of critical attention he gets.

I have to admit, I'm tempted to pick it up and go through it just to see what people think of as "bad", though a link posted earlier gave me a few clues.

I mean there are lots of great ways to think of bad writing. It can be obtuse, redundant, repetitive, contrived, verbose, sparse, and a bunch of other adjectives. Sometimes a writer can roll more than one of these into an indigestible literary omelet...I wonder how Mr. Brown fares.
Burp!

The first thing that pops to mind is how easily everyone can come and go at the Louvre at any hour of the day or night. Why did I pay admission, when all I really had to do was walk in and claim to be some sort of special decoder person?

The next thing you wonder is if anyone didn't figure out that "Princess" Sofie was supposed to be the "special" one by page 3 or so?

Finally, you think how creepy it is that the old grandpa picked out the nerdish symbologist for his granddaughter, and that it is very much creepy inbreeding, much like with thoroughbreds and hillbillies.

Then you belch again and your brain threatens bodily harm if you ever read anything like this to it ever again.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #48
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Burp!

The next thing you wonder is if anyone didn't figure out that "Princess" Sofie was supposed to be the "special" one by page 3 or so?

Finally, you think how creepy it is that the old grandpa picked out the nerdish symbologist for his granddaughter, and that it is very much creepy inbreeding, much like with thoroughbreds and hillbillies.
DOH! You've ruined it!! I have yet to read it!! Oh, how will I ever get through the day?!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #49
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I like that comparison to Umberto Eco. I read both authors and while Eco certainly has more depth he is also MUCH more difficult to read.
As far as the public is concerned, I expect Brown's success comes from pandering to the lowest common denominator. He spoon feeds us the plot, similar to mainstream movies. It won't fly over the heads of the common man. No chance of missing a key observation. His guns are smoking heavily and his guilty hands are painted bright red.
Having posted this thread I am amazed by the high number of responses. I have posted elsewhere that with my advancing years I read now to be entertained which for me Brown achieves, I find it tiring to follow a complicated 'trendy' plot which leaves me hungry..

Quote:

I have to admit, I'm tempted to pick it up and go through it just to see what people think of as "bad", though a link posted earlier gave me a few clues.

What is good or bad writing? How do you judge? I think Dan brown's work lacks much, but who is the millionaire writer here (wish I was!!). You can be a good writer & poor or a 'bad' writer and a millionaire - which would you rather be?
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #50
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Look at most of my long posts, and you'll see just how bad some writing can be hehe
Everyone's got some pet peeves when it comes to writing. I've got two myself that irritate me.

A) contrived description. The show-don't-tell ideal gets stretched quite a bit. Most days I'd rather get "his face was slightly bleeding again" than "lazy rivulets of crimson lifeblood crept hesitatingly from the freshly reopened wound between his flat bulbous nose and small, deeply-set eyes that shone with brilliance and down the scar-laden texture of his experienced, leathery cheek".

B) "artificial semantic density". I got sick of reading and writing in the pretentious scholarship mode some time ago, and never really cared for the way many academics would follow formulaic field-specific conventions to intentionally convolve and complicate their writing to gain credibility.

Of course, other people adore those things, and hate terse, direct, vernacular methods of writing.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #51
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Everyone's got some pet peeves when it comes to writing. I've got two myself that irritate me.

A) contrived description. The show-don't-tell ideal gets stretched quite a bit. Most days I'd rather get "his face was slightly bleeding again" than "lazy rivulets of crimson lifeblood crept hesitatingly from the freshly reopened wound between his flat bulbous nose and small, deeply-set eyes that shone with brilliance and down the scar-laden texture of his experienced, leathery cheek".

B) "artificial semantic density". I got sick of reading and writing in the pretentious scholarship mode some time ago, and never really cared for the way many academics would follow formulaic field-specific conventions to intentionally convolve and complicate their writing to gain credibility.

Of course, other people adore those things, and hate terse, direct, vernacular methods of writing.
Just as a humourous observations... the two bolded sentences (the first which you say you detested, and the second you posted as a thought process) are quite similar in scope. *blah blah blah*

Now for the serious point... I quite agree. Short and sweet is very most often the best choice. Or maybe, simply, a fine line between the two.

In noir novels, they are filled with long descriptions, followed by very short observations. "The bright flare of the streetlamp through the half-open window played havoc with the scotch-induced buzzing of my migraine. The night was chill."
Old 08-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #52
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
griffonwing, I believe the sentence in part B was written that way to further enforce the point. I may be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #53
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
griffonwing, I believe the sentence in part B was written that way to further enforce the point. I may be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.
Or maybe I was being ambiguous. It's 3am here anyways
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #54
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Or maybe I was being ambiguous. It's 3am here anyways
Ooooh! I did that last night! I was here at work until 4am, went home, slept, got back here at 9:45

fun times.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #55
corinthian
corinthian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
I think it's just that Dan Brown is such an easy and visible target. If he were less, and his books were less well-known but equally well-liked by his fans, there'd be a lot less vitriol from his detractors. Only part of it is due to his quality as a writer. Another part is the group that stands to one side, shaking their heads in disbelief, asking themselves 'why do people read this?' or 'how does a book like this this move over eighty million copies?'

I finished two of Dan Brown's novels, and at least enjoyed their ambition and pace. I've read a lot worse. For example I found a paperback of 'The Pelican Brief' on the train last year and was furious with myself for finishing it.

I taught at an Opus Dei school in the wake of 'the Da Vinci Code' and the way it got the church's hackles up reminded me of the aftermath of Rushdie's 'Satanic Verses'. So I did at least find it a stimulating time, for which I thank Mr Brown.

There's plenty more to come. From Wikipedia: 'Brown has stated that he has ideas for about 12 future books featuring Robert Langdon', and it looks like his next book is going to be a hatchet job on the freemasons. Probably with ninjas.
corinthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #56
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I listened to his books as audio books and his writing style worked well for that medium.

It's also good beach reading because it's easy to pickup the story after distractions.

Oh and I just hate it when fiction writers don't fact check.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #57
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Most of the popular book market read for escapism and want something easy to read but also gets you into the story. Dan Brown's books do that. I've read 2 and think they're acceptable, but for most of my reading, I'm not expecting world class literature

A lot of a popular figures popularity has to do with crowd psychology. When your neighbors (or anyone in your social group) are reading him and think he's good, you'll rate him higher. That's just psychology at work. Dan Brown isn't any better or worse than thousands of other authors, he just happened to be at the right place and the right time to get popular.

As for critics, their sole reason for existence is to criticize. If they liked everything, they'd soon be out of a job

I don't pay any attention to critics as I have yet to find one that matches my tastes. I read Amazon reviews, and since I found MR, I read MR reviews and find users that match my tastes. So far, MR wins hands down.

Last edited by animedude01; 08-17-2009 at 06:26 PM.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #58
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
My two cents:

I read "The DaVinci Code" and "Angels and Demons" because I wanted to give the author a fair chance. I hated them because I thought they were just very poorly written (kudos to the poster who linked to the posts in "The Language Log").

One thing that people forget about writing is that it depends on a set of tools; we give these the general name of "language." And, just as we'd be unhappy with a surgeon who didn't know how to use a scalpel, or a mechanic who couldn't tell one wrench from another, there's no reason to be satisfied with a writer who doesn't know how to use vocabulary or punctuation.

This doesn't mean that books have to be all "deep" or "serious" in order to be good. They just have to be crafted with care and precision. I'm a literature prof., and happen to think that Stephen King is a master of his craft; I recommend his book "On Writing" to all my students.

So it's not a matter of being a snob; for me, it's the decision to not read books by someone who doesn't know how to use the tools of his trade.
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #59
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfiend View Post
One thing that people forget about writing is that it depends on a set of tools; we give these the general name of "language." And, just as we'd be unhappy with a surgeon who didn't know how to use a scalpel, or a mechanic who couldn't tell one wrench from another, there's no reason to be satisfied with a writer who doesn't know how to use vocabulary or punctuation.

This doesn't mean that books have to be all "deep" or "serious" in order to be good. They just have to be crafted with care and precision. ...
Yes. You're absolutely right. And... if it's worth doing something, it's worth doing it well. Writing is a craft as well as an art, and even if one isn't an artist, one can at least try to learn the craft. Besides, 90% of art is the craft
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #60
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfiend View Post
One thing that people forget about writing is that it depends on a set of tools; we give these the general name of "language." And, just as we'd be unhappy with a surgeon who didn't know how to use a scalpel, or a mechanic who couldn't tell one wrench from another, there's no reason to be satisfied with a writer who doesn't know how to use vocabulary or punctuation....So it's not a matter of being a snob; for me, it's the decision to not read books by someone who doesn't know how to use the tools of his trade.
I'm not sure I entirely agree.

I'm not in a position to judge whether a surgeon wields a scalpel with an impressive flourish or not - I judge them on the outcome of their work, not how they achieved it.
If a writer creates a (for me) gripping story, with fascinating characters inhabiting a fully realised world; I don't care how many 'rules' they broke to do it.

(I'm not claiming that Dan Brown achieved that as far as I'm concerned.)

Last edited by Sparrow; 08-19-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote