Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #106
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
+1.
I like my Surface RT. But being able to install all my legacy stuff is an enormous advantage of Surface Pro. And if you've got a Surface Pro, there's no real argument for an additional Surface RT.
Still: Looking at the low price of Surface RT, I'm tempted to buy one in addition. No real need in addition to Surface Pro, but on the other hand it (RT) easily can compete with other tablets I might be tempted to buy...
Actually, I wouldn't recommend the RT as a tablet. As a netbook-type device, yes, but a tablet, no.

The aspect ratio (16:9 or 16:10) is weird... too narrow in portrait, too wide in landscape to use it as a tablet. The touch responsiveness and accuracy is barely acceptable. But for productivity use, it is surprisingly good.

I know that many can't see a reason for the RT, but I can't see a reason for the Pro. Honestly, 10.6" is way too small to use as a primary device. I can't think of any legacy software that would be comfortable on that sized screen. That's netbook territory. Netbooks were good in a pinch but not something to be used as a primary computing device. In my opinion anyways.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #107
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Actually, I wouldn't recommend the RT as a tablet. As a netbook-type device, yes, but a tablet, no.
I agree - the aspect ratio is wrong for a tablet. Too tall and thin.

Quote:
I know that many can't see a reason for the RT, but I can't see a reason for the Pro. Honestly, 10.6" is way too small to use as a primary device.
Not when it's plugged into an external monitor.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #108
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
..The aspect ratio (16:9 or 16:10) is weird... too narrow in portrait, too wide in landscape to use it as a tablet...
Interesting enough, that's one of the details I like about both Surface tablets.
In landscape, it's great for browsing some websites.
In portrait, I favor the narrowness. I loved my Sony 900 for example for the very same reason.
I'm not so much a fan of iPads almost quadratic 4:3 ratio.
But I admit: I'm not reading much on any tablets. For an entire book, Surfaces probably really would be too narrow and offer not enough information per page.
But for my Zinio or Spiegel magazines or stuff like that it's fine.

Probably, I'm a special kind of user: One hour with this unit, one hour with another one.
Right now for example I've switched from the tiny Nvidia Shield to the enormous Surface Pro. Different tasks, different tools...

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-02-2013 at 03:10 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #109
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The whole point of the Pro for me is the ability to run "real" Windows software.
Yes: this would be my entire reason for a Pro. I need the Windows software.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #110
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree - the aspect ratio is wrong for a tablet. Too tall and thin.
I've never been a fan of 16:9 for any device. But it's now on my laptop, Surface, phone, camera, TV, etc. I'm very used to it at this point. It's actually kind of nice having the same aspect ratio on everything. And I think 16:9 works nicely with the Windows 8 interface.

But that's all subjective based on what you are used to and what you use it for.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #111
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
I've never been a fan of 16:9 for any device. But it's now on my laptop, Surface, phone, camera, TV, etc. I'm very used to it at this point. It's actually kind of nice having the same aspect ratio on everything. And I think 16:9 works nicely with the Windows 8 interface.

But that's all subjective based on what you are used to and what you use it for.
I agree that aspect ratio 16:9 is virtually everywhere, and I actually prefer it on laptops, TVs, etc. But for some reason I find it cumbersome in tablet form.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #112
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
4:3 is a much better fit to the aspect ratio of an A4/Letter sheet of paper than 16:9, hence a 4:3 screen has less wasted space when reading A4 PDFs. That's why my iPad remains my PDF reader of choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #113
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
surface pro battery replacement

Quote:
Given the incredible size of the Surface tablets it is unreasonable to expect a company to offer what you are expecting. (user replacement of battery and ss drive) What other tablet with the similar specs and dimensions offers the type of serviceability that you expect?
Perhaps those spending $1000+ for a surface pro with keyboard don't realize that the cost of battery replacement is about $470.00! or more than half the price of a new unit. Thus your tablet computer is a throwaway device. Also, once the battery is exhausted one can't boot up the tablet using the power unit: http://thingsthatmightinterestnerds....warrantycosts/

Laptop batteries can be replaced, often for $100-200, in contrast to the MS Surface Pro.

Also, as far as I can tell, the MS decision to prevent user-servicing is not required by the specs/dimensions but by a decision to use servicing as a source of dollars for MS. The major reason it can't easily be user-serviced is the abundance of glue inside it, as the following source documents:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/cra...than-a-tablet/

Last edited by bobcdy; 10-04-2013 at 04:09 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #114
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
Perhaps those spending $1000+ for a surface pro with keyboard don't realize that the cost of battery replacement is about $470.00! or more than half the price of a new unit. Thus your tablet computer is a throwaway device. Also, once the battery is exhausted one can't boot up the tablet using the power unit: http://thingsthatmightinterestnerds....warrantycosts/

Laptop batteries can be replaced, often for $100-200, in contrast to the MS Surface Pro.

Also, as far as I can tell, the MS decision to prevent user-servicing is not required by the specs/dimensions but by a decision to use servicing as a source of dollars for MS. The major reason it can't easily be user-serviced is the abundance of glue inside it, as the following source documents:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/cra...than-a-tablet/
I've owned about 15 private laptops and dozens of tablets.
Of course, the tablets only are 3 years old or even less.
Anyway...
I never took any unit to repair.
Not a single one.
A few laptops died on me.
But only after 2, most after 3 and more years of usage.
Why would I want to repair such an old unit?
With the exception of iPads, most units drop so drastically in prices, that you can have a new unit for replacement for about the same price as you'd pay for repair of the old one.
Most users will have their tablets for about 2 years, if I look at my friends and colleagues. Vast majority of all units should make that long.
There's always the risk of your typical "Monday unit". But this normally will occur within the first weeks of usage, not after 1 or 2 years.
So, is it really such a problem, if units are hard (or even impossible) to repair?
We're a "throwaway society". This certainly is disastrous from an ecological perspective. But re. usability, durability and such?

But of course I agree: The exchangeable battery on my Dell Latitude 10 is way preferable to the none-exchangeables on Surface Pro or iPad.
But not because of repairs, only because of doubling the battery duration while on the road. I wouldn't trade this convenience though for added weight or increase in depth or something like that...
Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #115
WillysJeepMan
Guru

This is a short video of my tweaked Surface RT (running 8.1 RTM) opening Office RT apps. In the background is a video that someone took at a Microsoft Store of the performance of the Surface 2 opening Office RT apps.

The response to the original video of Surface 2 performance was universally applauded as a giant improvement from the RT. But I noticed that it didn't appear to be any different from my RT running 8.1 RTM and having a few tweaks applied. So I ran a test and here's the video:

So all that to say, if anyone is interested in a Surface 2 but has the opportunity to buy a Surface RT at a firesale price... give some serious thought to the RT.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #116
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I don't know why the Surface RT 2 still exist. Isn't losing about 900 million dollars on the original Surface RT enough pain already?

The Windows 8 ecosystem for apps is still very underwhelming.

Microsoft has to much more to attract developers or it won't win the fight against the Android Play Store to and Apple iTunes Store.

Microsoft should dump the RT system and focus on the Pro all together.

--------------------------

I have to admit the Surface Pro 2 is very tempting.

My Android tablet is good for light stuff like checking e-mail and playing Angry Birds, but I need a tablet that can do more grunt work like running Adobe software.

I don't like the weight of the Surface Pro 2 is it at the edge of being too heavy to hold with one hand and easy to use mobile device.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #117
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I
But of course I agree: The exchangeable battery on my Dell Latitude 10 is way preferable to the none-exchangeables on Surface Pro or iPad.
But not because of repairs, only because of doubling the battery duration while on the road. I wouldn't trade this convenience though for added weight or increase in depth or something like that...
Can't you just get an external battery? They cost $50-60 (in the US) and can charge anything that uses a USB cable. (As an example, the New Trent "PowerPak +" is $55 at Amazon, has 13,500 mAh, and has a 2.1A and 1A USB charging port. The battery itself charges by USB as well, although don't think it can charge itself.)
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #118
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Can't you just get an external battery? They cost $50-60 (in the US) and can charge anything that uses a USB cable. (As an example, the New Trent "PowerPak +" is $55 at Amazon, has 13,500 mAh, and has a 2.1A and 1A USB charging port. The battery itself charges by USB as well, although don't think it can charge itself.)
I'm using this one: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00D...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's fine for charging my Nvidia Shield, iPod or iPhone and the likes.
But for tablets, I found it problematic.
For one, lots of tablets don't charge via USB but have some §&(/))=" proprietary connectors. (Let's hope, the EU attempt re. standard connectors will change this asap). And last but not least, most tablets simply consume too much power. You can charge your iPhone at least twice with such an external battery. But a tablet only can be charged by 50% or so...
If I take, let's say, my Nvidia Shield, iPhone and Surface Pro with me on a trip, a single external battery won't help much...
Old 10-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #119
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I don't know why the Surface RT 2 still exist. Isn't losing about 900 million dollars on the original Surface RT enough pain already?

The Windows 8 ecosystem for apps is still very underwhelming.

Microsoft has to much more to attract developers or it won't win the fight against the Android Play Store to and Apple iTunes Store.

Microsoft should dump the RT system and focus on the Pro all together.
No. Modern/Metro is the future and the Windows Store apps span both the desktop and mobile worlds. In under a year there are over 100,000 apps available. The Surface RT is the best selling 10" tablet not called iPad, and the Surface 2 is almost sold out. More importantly, RT gives Microsoft an ARM device that keeps the pressure on Intel and gives them better diversity in the marketplace.

People seem to assume that since RT doesn't run x86 programs it's worthless. But the fact is most consumers don't need x86 programs. RT gives these people what they need without the additional bloat and security concerns of full Windows.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #120
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
RT gives these people what they need without the additional bloat and security concerns of full Windows.
It gives people what MICROSOFT THINKS they need, and if history is any indication of how good a job MS does compared to Apple and Android in that space, then I agree: Microsoft should dump the RT system and focus on the Pro all together.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote