Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
Adobe 7.0 Professional incompatable!!

The Connect software will not allow me to transfer books printed in Adobe Acrobat 7.0. the Operation Manual says the PDF must be "...Version 1.4 or before)." (page 34). Anyone know a work around or do I just produce RTF files?

Thanks for your help.
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Did you try?

Don't confuse Acrobat 7.0 with PDF 1.4. One version refers to the software, the other to the file format. In Acrobat, you can always save your documents with PDF 1.4-compatibility (PDF 1.6 and PDF 1.7 is the latest right now, with 1.7 supported in Acrobat 8).
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2006, 04:23 AM   #3
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob
The Connect software will not allow me to transfer books printed in Adobe Acrobat 7.0. the Operation Manual says the PDF must be "...Version 1.4 or before)." (page 34). Anyone know a work around or do I just produce RTF files?

Thanks for your help.
This is probably no more than a simple check of the PDF header at the very beginning of the generated file. If it says '%PDF-1.4' (or ... -1.3, etc.) it's accepted.

It is possible to tweak this by hand, but PDF is a binary format, and an ordinary text editor may damage the file. I use Emacs when I want to do something like that.

In Acrobat Pro 7, I only know two ways to change version: a) use the Adobe PDF printer, and check that the selected settings are for PDF 1.4 or earlier. (I believe default settings are for this, but you can also use the PDF/A settings); or b) use Adobe Distiller, which uses the same settings. I have not found any way to set this in Acrobat Pro itself, as far as I recall. Pro 8 may provide it somewhere, though.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:20 AM   #4
gdxf
Enthusiast
gdxf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
In Acrobat Pro 7, I only know two ways to change version: a) use the Adobe PDF printer, and check that the selected settings are for PDF 1.4 or earlier. (I believe default settings are for this, but you can also use the PDF/A settings); or b) use Adobe Distiller, which uses the same settings. I have not found any way to set this in Acrobat Pro itself, as far as I recall. Pro 8 may provide it somewhere, though.
If the PDF file is OCRed already as "text under image" format, printing to PDF printer will lose the OCRed text and only keep the image. Furthermore, the file size increases by at least four times if you have previously run Paper Capture on the file by Acrobat 6.0, which, from my experience, can reduce the PDF file size by four times than if you OCR by Acrobat 7.0. I haven't found a way to overcome this dramatic file size increase issue yet. It bothers me because the Sony Reader appears to like small files.
gdxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:11 AM   #5
michaelshawn
michaelshawn began at the beginning.

Device: adobe
Hi

Hi,

Foxpro is really a handy,simple and portable software for pdf documents.
You must use this software.You can also download it form www.download.com.

Thanks.

Micheal.
michaelshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert