Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #1066
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideromelane View Post
Yeah... Am I being really dumb here?
Not really.

But it may not be possible because of the way Amazon's system is implemented.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #1067
Sideromelane
FYIAD
Sideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not really.

But it may not be possible because of the way Amazon's system is implemented.
I was sorta suspecting. I'm too used to Android and it's illusion of openness - it may not be truly open, but you CAN rip the guts out, recompile them to suit yourself and shove them back in and still expect it to boot up and do Android stuff, even if you have turned all the menus upside down and replaced all the fonts with Aurek Besh. It's like software meccano, you might not be able to produce your own kits legally, but you can build functional steam powered ferris wheels if you want to. Whereas Kindle OS seems to be more like Airfix - you need a fair bit of skill and practice to get anything other than a squint black and white spitfire, and if you glue two different kits together, they won't send you any replacement parts.
Sideromelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #1068
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Everything you say above applies to the kindle more or less.

However. if you want to replace the front end with another window manager then I certainly feel that this is possible. The point here is that KUAL actually relies on a few key parts that amazon provide. Thus such a solution as you seek would be better server with something like "ReLaunch" or somesuch, reworked to be more kindle specific, rather than leeching functionality from amazons bits and bobs.

So yeah. Doable. Lots of upstart hackery and quite a few fails along the way I would imagine but doable. However KUAL is not the animal for the job.

IMO.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #1069
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
... or, if you want to stay within the Amazon ecosystem, write your own Booklet to replace the HomeBooklet. This *should* be fairly straightforward, but I don't know how much magic the HomeBooklet does in the background - never been there, never done that.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #1070
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is logged when the "Your Kindle Will restart" message is shown.

Code:
 130907:204957 cvm[4452]: I BookletImplementation:Starting:name=com.lab126.booklet.kindlet:
   130907:204957 cvm[4452]: W KindletSecretKeyStore:initializeFromBackup::Loading application keystore from backup
   130907:204957 cvm[4452]: I applicationKeyStore:emptyKeyStoreLoaded:timeTaken=28,units=ms:emptyKeyStoreLoaded
   130907:204958 cvm[4452]: E KindletBooklet:startFail::Failed to start Kindlet due to internal error.
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.KindletContainerException: Per application secret key could not be loaded.
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: 	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.Q.DLb(lbd:746)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: 	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.Q.Um(lbd:687)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: 	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.j.rlb(zkc:340)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: 	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.KindletBooklet.fJb(cp:1184)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: 	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.KindletBooklet.dlb(cp:789)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: 	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.y.sJb(fvc:1507)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: 	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.KindletBooklet.start(cp:1167)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: 	at com.amazon.kindle.restricted.booklet.impl.S.owA(eob:1237)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: 	at com.amazon.kindle.restricted.booklet.impl.L.run(eob:1361)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: 	at java.lang.Thread.startup(Unknown Source)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/local/java/keystore/developer-application.keystore (Permission denied)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: E KindletBooklet:KindletContainerExceptionOnStart:DETEvent
   130907:204958 cvm[4452]: I LipcSourceImpl:AddSource:src=com.lab126.kindlet.pillowResponse:Adding new Lipc source
   130907:204958 cvm[4452]: E KindletBooklet:GenericError::Unloading Kindlet, error = Failed to start Kindlet due to internal error: Per application secret key could not be loaded., msg = null
err? really?

duh.
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #1071
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Code:
 130907:204957 cvm[4452]: I BookletImplementation:Starting:name=com.lab126.booklet.kindlet:
   130907:204957 cvm[4452]: W KindletSecretKeyStore:initializeFromBackup::Loading application keystore from backup
   130907:204957 cvm[4452]: I applicationKeyStore:emptyKeyStoreLoaded:timeTaken=28,units=ms:emptyKeyStoreLoaded
   130907:204958 cvm[4452]: E KindletBooklet:startFail::Failed to start Kindlet due to internal error.
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.KindletContainerException: Per application secret key could not be loaded.
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]:     at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.Q.DLb(lbd:746)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]:     at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.Q.Um(lbd:687)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]:     at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.j.rlb(zkc:340)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]:     at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.KindletBooklet.fJb(cp:1184)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]:     at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.KindletBooklet.dlb(cp:789)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]:     at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.y.sJb(fvc:1507)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]:     at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.KindletBooklet.start(cp:1167)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]:     at com.amazon.kindle.restricted.booklet.impl.S.owA(eob:1237)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]:     at com.amazon.kindle.restricted.booklet.impl.L.run(eob:1361)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]:     at java.lang.Thread.startup(Unknown Source)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/local/java/keystore/developer-application.keystore (Permission denied)
[!]130907:204958 cvm[4452]: E KindletBooklet:KindletContainerExceptionOnStart:DETEvent
   130907:204958 cvm[4452]: I LipcSourceImpl:AddSource:src=com.lab126.kindlet.pillowResponse:Adding new Lipc source
   130907:204958 cvm[4452]: E KindletBooklet:GenericError::Unloading Kindlet, error = Failed to start Kindlet due to internal error: Per application secret key could not be loaded., msg = null
err? really?

duh.
Ah, is this someone who tried to manually change the keystore permissions to attempt to avoid re-loading it on changes in registration?

Have them do a 'ls -lA ... ' on that keystore, let us see if the message is correct about that file.

And any chance this is a K4?
Which is known to run out of room in the /var/local partition.
Have them check for that problem with a 'df /var/local' or some such command.

Last edited by knc1; 09-08-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #1072
twobob

That is a kindle PW, at the moment when it decides KUAL has a previous error message pending (As far as I can tell) and says it "will reboot in 5 Secs"

Don't suppose anyone knows where that flag is stored?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #1073
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: I didn't get quite what happens/when/how and what triggers what... :?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #1074
twobob

hmmm. on the PW:

To get the effect everytime (on my device)

restart the device (fully)
Open KUAL.

at that point you are advised "An error occured you have 5 seconds to press confirm or this will reboot."

Pressing Confirm makes it go away. but it happens after every full reboot. Which at the moment I am doing 50+ per day of owing to testing.

So yeah. Exactly that process should produce the message.

So I dug around for WHERE it was storing that (dug in the showlog first) and found that weirdo "CAN'T ACCESS KEYS" message in the logs occurs at the same moment that the "Your kindle will reboot" error message does.
But thought I should report the weirdo error, just in case it wasn't only me.

Re: location of "Failed flag"
So: no clue where that "Kindlet Failed" info is stored.
it aint in /developer/blah nor any obvious place I could find so far.
So I guess I am just looking to squash that "flag" automagically.

Hope that is a lot clearer
Old 09-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #1075
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
In order to have the correct time stamp on the BBB-Last-Action and the Battery-etc. images (reported on the Main Screen) the line in the bin files reading WHEN='date -u -Iminutes (or Iseconds) has to have the "-u" removed, which prompts the question: "Why is it there?"... I'm trying to learn from this. Thanks.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #1076
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypaulie View Post
In order to have the correct time stamp on the BBB-Last-Action and the Battery-etc. images (reported on the Main Screen) the line in the bin files reading WHEN='date -u -Iminutes (or Iseconds) has to have the "-u" removed, which prompts the question: "Why is it there?"... I'm trying to learn from this. Thanks.
UTC

It is there because the timezone conversion does not work in a standard manner across all supported Kindle models.

The date/time was included in the report title just to give a monotonically increasing title.
Making it possible to know which ones where "older than most recent".
Old 09-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #1077
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: Is that when the framework is still churning right after the boot, or after waiting for the CPU to settle down @ 0%?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #1078
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@twobob: Is that when the framework is still churning right after the boot, or after waiting for the CPU to settle down @ 0%?
I'll try both right now.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #1079
MecMuffin
MecMuffin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 5.3.6 JB
First of all: You a doing a great thing here! Awesome what you can get out of your Kindle thanks to you guys!

After I found no Info:

I have the problem, that the KUAL "Book" disappears from time to time from my home screen. Plugging it to USB and remove helps sometimes, sending the rescan Command via SSH helps sometimes, rebooting mostly helps.

Some Advice?

Thx
MecMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #1080
twobob

First I have heard of it.

How large is your index? Big?
Any other pattens that you have noticed?

Is it only KUAL that disappears or all kindlets?

Stuff like that

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified