Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
Derek R
Zealot
Derek R began at the beginning.

Device: none
Are 'empty' heading tags acceptable for generating a table of contents?

I usually generate the table of contents from <h1> tags. However, there are occasions when I don't want headings displaying at the top of particular sections in an ebook. For instance, I would want to avoid having a heading appear above the frontispiece in the xhtml file that I have created for that image. Rather than have <h1>FRONTISPIECE</h1>, for example, is it acceptable to simply have <h1></h1> with nothing between the container tags and then edit the toc to include 'Frontispiece' as the section title? Or is it bad practice to use tags in this way and, if so, what is the best alternative?
Derek R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You don't need a heading tag for a TOC entry, it's enough with an "id" in any element, for instance:

Code:
<p class="dedication" id="ded">To my mother</p>
and then just use "...#ded" in the "src" attribute (I think that's the correct one) in the TOC file.

It's only automated tools which "need" heading tags to build the TOC for you, but if you are going to edit it anyway, you are not constrained by the tool's options.

EDIT: Or, more simple yet, if you want the TOC entry to point to the top of a file, you don't need the "id" at all.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
Derek R
Zealot

Thank you, Jellby. I stupidly forgot to mention that I am generating the table of contents in Sigil. However, your response clarified my thinking. I can generate the TOC initially with the h1 tags and then by using 'Edit Table Of Contents' I can add further items.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek R View Post
I usually generate the table of contents from <h1> tags. However, there are occasions when I don't want headings displaying at the top of particular sections in an ebook. For instance, I would want to avoid having a heading appear above the frontispiece in the xhtml file that I have created for that image. Rather than have <h1>FRONTISPIECE</h1>, for example, is it acceptable to simply have <h1></h1> with nothing between the container tags and then edit the toc to include 'Frontispiece' as the section title? Or is it bad practice to use tags in this way and, if so, what is the best alternative?
Well, if you are working with Sigil then is a piece of cake what you want Just use (in the place you want):

Code:
<h1 title="FRONTISPIECE"></h1>
and after pressing Ctrl+T, you'll have a TOC entry with the name FRONTISPIECE.

So, what you need to do is to write with the global attribute "title" what you want to appear in the TOC. Examples:

Code:
<h1 title="This is a TOC entry"></h1>
<h2 title="Another TOC entry"></h2>
and so on Of course, tags <h1..h6> can be empty.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Derek R
Zealot

Thank you, Rubén - I've tested that and it works a treat - a handy tip indeed.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Wouldn't conversion be likely to delete these empty tags? Probably not a big deal, but I use
Code:
<h1 class="hidden">This is a ToC entry</h1>
with css of
Code:
hidden {display:none}
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:12 AM   #7
Derek R
Zealot

Another excellent tip - thank you, eschwartz. That css was not in my armoury until now. It led me to discover that the following could also be used:

Code:

Code:
<h1 class="hidden">This is a ToC entry</h1>
css:

Code:
.hidden {visibility:hidden;}
which will hide the text between the tags but take up the space of the <h1> element.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:24 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek R View Post
Code:
.hidden {visibility:hidden;}
which will hide the text between the tags but take up the space of the <h1> element.
But "visibility" is not among the CSS properties required for ePub 2.0.1, so don't be surprised if it is not supported by some reader.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:34 AM   #9
Derek R
Zealot

Okay - thanks - then sticking to "display: none" seems to be the safer bet, although on devices where "visibility" isn't supported presumably the content of the container tags would display, which wouldn't be entirely disastrous.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Wouldn't conversion be likely to delete these empty tags?
I don't think that but even so, the TOC will remain unchanged. You can be sure that the attribute "title" will be serviceable to generate a TOC.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #11
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
On some readers, hidden text will hide the text alright, but if it is in the middle of a line, it will leave a blank space and cause text to be shoved over to the right edge. I try to avoid this for my old PRS-300.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
I don't think that but even so, the TOC will remain unchanged. You can be sure that the attribute "title" will be serviceable to generate a TOC.
I think I remember discussion about empty paragraph tags used for scene breaks instead of css margins being inadvisabe for this reason. I would try to avoid breaking things down the line... someone else might be inconvenienced later on.

Anyway, this does work, and I can't think of a downside, even a potential one. Momentum alone should keep me using it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:34 AM   #13
Abekonge
Scripler Project Lead
Abekonge has met Morla.Abekonge has met Morla.Abekonge has met Morla.Abekonge has met Morla.Abekonge has met Morla.Abekonge has met Morla.Abekonge has met Morla.Abekonge has met Morla.Abekonge has met Morla.Abekonge has met Morla.Abekonge has met Morla.

Device: Gameboy Color
I always use <h1 style="display:none">Toc-entry title</h1> - works like a charm.
Abekonge is offline   Reply With Quote