Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
tony59
tony59 began at the beginning.

Device: Android Devices with Coolreader
[LINUX] Calibre can't see sdb1

Preface to request: I am a total LINUX newbie.

Having said that I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS running and have been learning rapidly. Ubuntu is on sda1, as is Calibre 0.9.32.

My library is on sdb1. Using Switch Library, I cannot see any folders on the second drive, so cannot access the library.

Any help gratefully received.
tony59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony59 View Post
Preface to request: I am a total LINUX newbie.

Having said that I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS running and have been learning rapidly. Ubuntu is on sda1, as is Calibre 0.9.32.

My library is on sdb1. Using Switch Library, I cannot see any folders on the second drive, so cannot access the library.

Any help gratefully received.

You need full rights (rw) to the Library directory:
Did you browse to the directory?
is sdb1 a removable drive? that should be \media\(drive)\directory
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
tony59

Thanks for the response. Both drives are internal on an IDE bus. The current library folder has been created in the Home folder, and I have rights to it. I can't browser outside the Home folder in Calibre. If I raise the level to Computer during the Switch Library dialog, no folders but Home are shown.
I can access the second drive with other software, just not with Calibre. The result from a Mount command are below.
/dev/loop0 on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sda1 on /host type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,all ow_other,blksize=4096)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/admin/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=admin)
Old 05-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I see no entries for sdb1 in the output of mount. And note that /dev/* are the device nodes for devices. If you wish to access them as filesystems you access them via their mount points. According to mount /dev/sdb1 is not mounted anywhere.

The output of mount on your system seems to be rather weird. For example, why is sda1, which I assume is your primary drive mounted at /host with fuse?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Looking at your mount output (esp. / mounted on loopback device) I'm guess you're running Ubuntu from the CD/DVD rather than your hard drive? The fact that you say Ubuntu and Calibre are on sda1 and your library is on sdb1 makes me think you actually have installed it. Try rebooting without the Ubuntu CD/DVD in the drive.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
tony59

The installation of Ubuntu was managed by WUBI It is basically in a vanilla state after installation, except for updates. I pass a windows dual boot screen and a grub menu before Ubuntu actually loads.
My expectation was that WUBI managed the mounts of all devices during the install, rather than having to explicitly mount them. This is even more curious as I can readily access sdb1 in Ubuntu and via SAMBA as this is how I copied my library onto the drive in the first place, over my network.
Is an explicit mount what is needed?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah the drive needs to be mounted, then you can just use the path to the mountpoint to access it. Also note that sharing the same calibre library between windows and linux is a bad idea and can lead to data loss, as windows and linux have very different filesystem semantics.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
tony59

Thanks for the help. Kovid, just an irrelevant note, I was recently in Mumbai with my wife. Had a really great time. Lovely city.