Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
r04r
r04r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Getting IRC (Irssi) to work on your Kindle

Just got IRC to work so I figured I'd share. First of all, this is what the end result should look like with a slightly modified theme to look good (subjective) on the Kindle.

This guide will assume some unix knowledge, as you shouldn't be messing with this if you lack it. For steps 1 through 4 see their respective threads for details.

1. Jailbreak your kindle
2. Install usbnetworking, to get a shell on your kindle. (Optional if you want to type everything on your kindle's terminal emulator. I prefer just SSHing in over WiFi)
3. Install launchpad
4. Install the fullscreen kindle terminal emulator
5. Install optware
5.1 In addition to directories created in the post above, also do:
mkdir /mnt/loc/opt/includes
ln -s /mnt/loc/opt/includes /opt/includes
5.2 Add
/path/to/your/local.ext3 /mnt/loc ext3 loop,noatime 0 0
to /etc/fstab and verify with mount -a
6. Add/replace the following to your /etc/profile and /mnt/us/myts/profile
alias ipkg='ipkg -t /opt/tmp'
alias fmount='mount -a'
export TERM=linux
export TERMINFO=/etc/terminfo
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin
7. Change root's home directory to outside of /tmp, e.g. /mnt/loc/root. Do so by editing /etc/passwd
8. ipkg update && ipkg install perl && ipkg install irssi
9. Irssi should be able to run now, but won't be great for usage on the kindle yet. To solve this we need to add a theme file, change a few keybindings and add a script to filter out markup from IRC as the terminal emulator doesn't like those.
9.1 Get the theme here and place it as $HOME/.irssi/kindle.theme
9.2 Get the script here (slightly modified from original) and place it as $HOME/.irssi/scripts/autorun/cleanpublic.pl
9.3 Start irssi, and run
/set theme kindle
and set up some keybindings (see) to switch between channels. Personally I use F1-10 for this. You can figure out keycodes by starting cat, and then pressing the keys and see what shows up.
/BIND ^[[11~ key F1
/BIND ^[[12~ key F2
/BIND ^[[13~ key F3
/BIND ^[[14~ key F4
/BIND ^[[15~ key F5
/BIND ^[[17~ key F6 ; Skip of 16~ is intentional
/BIND ^[[18~ key F7
/BIND ^[[19~ key F8
/BIND ^[[20~ key F9
/BIND ^[[21~ key F10
/BIND F1 change_window 1
/BIND F2 change_window 2
/BIND F3 change_window 3
/BIND F4 change_window 4
/BIND F5 change_window 5
/BIND F6 change_window 6
/BIND F7 change_window 7
/BIND F8 change_window 8
/BIND F9 change_window 9
/BIND F10 change_window 10
/save
9.4 Tune some settings:
/set colors off
/set hide_text_style on
/save
10. Enjoy. I may have forgotten a few things in this guide as I didn't keep track of my steps while I was doing this, but this should be it.

Last edited by r04r; 11-20-2011 at 09:43 PM.
r04r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
esentpie
esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
What should be /path/to/your/local.ext3? Do I need to make an image file on /mnt/us or what?
esentpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by esentpie View Post
What should be /path/to/your/local.ext3? Do I need to make an image file on /mnt/us or what?
Follow steps 4 and 5 - then you should know the name of the image file.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
esentpie
esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.esentpie is no e-book dilettante.

Duh. I installed optware to root, via the first post instruction. Do I need to do it all over again, or can I just use root directories?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Duh. I installed optware to root, via the first post instruction. Do I need to do it all over again, or can I just use root directories?
The first post instruction of what thread?
WHICH "to root" and "root directories" are you writing about?

If you have done anything incorrectly, then you have to fix what you have done, which may mean doing it all again, correctly.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
esentpie

The first instruction of optware thread. I have installed ipkg to root, instead of an image file in user storage. It worked. Also installed some packages with ipkg for testing in terminal - so I have probably already installed irssi in /opt/bin (just logged to the ssh to check it). My question is: can I now use the standard internal directories instead of mounting an image file to /mnt/loc to do everything inside it? I'm not worried of filling up the root partition tbh. I think I know how to figure it out.

Edit: K, moved the home directory, configured irssi via ssh, edited the profile files and dang... 0upterm failed for term=linux.

Last edited by esentpie; 05-14-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
The first instruction of optware thread.
I have installed ipkg to root, instead of an image file in user storage.
It worked.
- - - - -
1) Thanks.
2) Wrong
3) Not for long.

Go back and follow the directions - which even include a mention of why you should not do it the way you just did.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
esentpie

I can't actually hop back on the thread easily as I'm on a mobile phone, but if it says about the issue with rootfs being ro after each restart, then I actually worked it out by setting up a mobile phone hotspot, ssh'ing from phone to kindle, mounting rootfs rw (mntroot doesn't work from kindle's terminal) and then disconnecting and doing the all stuff on the kindle as usual. (I fixed the term type issue) Might try rtorrent at morning because of the k3's relatively big drive, as irc'ing from k3 is so inconvenient even if you learned the keymappings on terminal: c

Oh and I also think that I could make a launchpad shortcut for usbnetwork & mntroot to see if it works.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Good tutorial, thanks
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212676
Accidental IRC is also a "native" option now.
Supported by Touch / PW via kterm.
and in DX/3 via myts I would imagine.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
esentpie

Ok, sorry for the language used in last post, I was totally disoriented. To make my issue more clear, I have figured out how to install optware packages without the ext3 image, the problem is that after each kindle restart (doesn't apply to updates) you need to log via ssh and make the rootfs writable, because the mntroot command doesn't work in myts. When I'm away from my home network I set up a portable hotspot on my phone to do it via android ssh client, then I mess with applications in myts. So yes, it's doable but I should definitely do it the other way for maximum usability... I tried chatting via irssi, it's fun but not for any long term usage. Also fun to hear that there is a new irc client.

Tags
irc, irssi, kindle