Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Android
Metadata download sluggish?

Hey everyone. It seems to me that with each subsequent update, metadata retrieval becomes slower and slower. I thought at first that it was because I had about 20k ebooks, and while it did indeed get a little sluggish, I could usually bulk-download 25 metadata entries in about 5 minutes, 7 minutes if I download both cover and info.

But now it seems that downloading just the comments or just the images takes about the same amount of time as it does to download both at once, and I also noticed that it now takes about 20 minutes to download the same amount of info.

Could there be a possible reason for this? Also, a possible fix? At the moment, I'm busy saving the books to a folder based on the letters they are sorted by, the 'A' authors in the 'A' folder and so on. I was thinking about uploading them by letter, all the A's at once, all the B's at once, and downloading the metadata, saving them to a 'Comments' virtual folder, and etc.

Will this help whatsoever? Will the downloads get slower as I load in more authors?

Also, could it be because my internet connection itself has been slowing down a lot lately?

Last edited by Dullahir; 06-03-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Dullahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The metadata download time depends on:

1) Your internet connection
2) The number and type of metadata download sources you have enabled
3) The number of books you are downloading metadata for

There is absolutely no change in metadata download times with subsequent calibre releases.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Android
Hm. So for 25 books, how many metadata sources should I select? a few? Because I've recently changed the channel of my wireless internet thing. Could that be a factor?
Dullahir is offline   Reply With Quote