Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #16
Zorac
Zorac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
what about mods that don't require root? it would be nice to have the clock and battery level on the screen when reading a book. i don't believe these required root on the t1.
Zorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorac View Post
what about mods that don't require root? it would be nice to have the clock and battery level on the screen when reading a book. i don't believe these required root on the t1.
They do.

Root can have two different meanings. Root access is necessary for everything that a user can't do with the device (it's full control over an otherwise unmodified device), and it is necessary for rooting the device. Rooting the device means that the user has full control over everything that is running (while it is running), to put it simply.
ebmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
Shark69
Zealot
Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Boroda is not interested in rooting the device, but he is willing to do it.
He says he doesn't think there will be enough interest among users, but if there is, he'll try to help. Of course, absolutely no guarantees, etc. He is asking for dotations.
I encourage you to support the project!
I'm willing to donate if it helps to do it:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...22c6eea13ecd7b

Info from Russian forum:

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25032

Last edited by Shark69; 09-17-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Shark69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
Shark69
Zealot
Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Link for donations expires. If you are interested, you have to go to the russian forum and press PayPal icon under boroda pic in his posts.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #20
guizzy
guizzy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition (PRS-300)
What I'm most interested in is a way to bring the Sony Reader launcher and apps from the T2 to the T1.

The Evernote sync feature is teasing me. But until I know I can run the Kindle app on a T2, it's a no go.
guizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #21
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by guizzy View Post
What I'm most interested in is a way to bring the Sony Reader launcher and apps from the T2 to the T1.

The Evernote sync feature is teasing me. But until I know I can run the Kindle app on a T2, it's a no go.
I always endorsed hacking philosophy, but honestly bring back the features to t1 means to announce the exit of sony from the market, this means that Kindle will start to have an oligopoly and the consumer will be damaged by the lack of concurrency.

Do not deserve that sony considering the natural catastrophes had to deal with last year
T2 for me has a whiter screen(thousand times better than my prs 650,
One hundred bucks are not too much to have new functionality and support the brand Imo.
Also they should this boroda to be code developer manager

Still I do not understand why It is not supported an official android version that could make competitive another time sony, a couple of months working at a new firmware to inbuilt android and update the device

Last edited by trocchietto; 09-17-2012 at 05:01 PM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
Shark69
Zealot

Boroda has just said that he has got donated money enought to buy a new T2.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #23
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3l7d0wN View Post
AFAIK [...] usb-serial driver [...is...] not enable in stock T1 and T2, so it's not possible
Did you mean "it does not exist" or "it exists, but isn't loaded"?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #24
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I think rupor image has a serial console in it. I don't know if the same method (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...covery_Console method 4) can work on T2. Someone should try it
m3l7d0wN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #25
ebmr
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3l7d0wN View Post
I think rupor image has a serial console in it. I don't know if the same method (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...covery_Console method 4) can work on T2. Someone should try it
Yes, you are right.

The kernel modules for serial access over USB are part of the images (both rupor and figonet) and not part of the reader as I thought.

Booting such an image should work on the T2, too. Accoring to Sony's sources, the kernel versions of T1 and T2 are the same.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #26
Shark69
Zealot

Boroda has told that he has failed hacking the device...
He accepts refund donations...
Old 09-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #27
ebmr
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark69 View Post
Boroda has told that he has failed hacking the device...
Well, booting an update image from OS Firmware/files on the SD card doesn't seem to be a function of the stock reader at all then? This would be an easy way to gain access, but obviously it's provided by some rooting package?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #28
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmr View Post
Well, booting an update image from OS Firmware/files on the SD card doesn't seem to be a function of the stock reader at all then? This would be an easy way to gain access, but obviously it's provided by some rooting package?
Booting an update image from SD card is a stock feature. However, in the early (U.S., Euro, Japanese) releases of the PRS-T1 the SD card boot was available from an unsigned image, while in the later releases of PRS-T1 (Russia and Japanese PRS-G1) the boot from SD cards required a signed image. Since the image is signed with a private key, the only way to enable loading unsigned custom images would be via a change to the recovery mode script that loads the image.

Everything locks into ability to read and write files and MTD blocks on the Reader. I have not been able to establish such ability in the PRS-T2, so there is not much else I can do.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #29
e-ink
partly refreshed
e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: It's a Sony :P prs-t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Booting an update image from SD card is a stock feature...
Hey porkupan, this is very off-topic but I'd be happy to get some more information about this feature and its limititations on the T1.

My idea is to set up a dualboot environment with a 2nd full featured android test system, loaded with the help of an update image. By editing init.rc of the normal rootfs I could change the location of the partitions of the original system to free some space for the test system partitions.

In an early try (without altering partitions) I just put the files of the rootfs area (unmodified) into a cleaned update image and tried to boot that from SD. The progress bar reached 100% but then it hung.

Are there any restrictions on the T1 to prevent loading a full android with the help of a recovery image?
Is it limitations of the recovery kernel, that caused my test system not to start?
In case I replace the recovery kernel with a - lets not hope - faulty one, will a "normal" boot still work (boot loader, "normal kernel" & "normal rootfs" areas untouched)?

If you can shed some light on the procedure of the recovery boot process that would be great.

Thank you so much porkupan for your work! I'm so pleased to have an "open" reader.
e-ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #30
Shark69
Zealot

Russian people are shaking the device again.

Another Russian guy, Garyn, has just achieved a dump of the whole firm...

Look pictures:

Mechanism he's used:

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25326

Last edited by Shark69; 10-07-2012 at 04:15 AM.