Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
What did you buy at Fictionwise and BoB's Thanksgiving Sale?

I just realised that the combination of Fictionwise's earlier Wishlist sale and the current Black Friday / Thanksgiving sale pushed a lot of books I was holding off buying as too expensive down enough that I could not resist.

BooksonBoard's matching sale was icing on the cake as a couple of books I wanted were even more cheaper there, even after taking into account Micropay, etc.

So I ended up blowing my budget AGAIN (Curses )

So I though I'll share the results of my Binge with you all and ask you what you got.

Fictionwise:

10.19 - 1 * The Machine That Changed the World: The Story of Lean
Production--Toyota's Secret Weapon in the Global Car Wars That is
Revolutionizing World Industry by James P. Womack

10.19 - 1 * Star Trek: I'm Working on That: A Trek from Science
Fiction to Science Fact by William Shatner & Chip Walter

13.56 - 1 * Parallel Worlds: A Journey Through Creation, Higher
Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos by Michio Kaku

22.10 - 1 * The Physics of Superheroes by James Kakalios

12.25 - 1 * The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

11.56 - 1 * Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism
by Robert Pape

13.00 - 1 * Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth About Violent
Video Games and What Parents Can Do by Lawrence Kutner

9.36 - 1 * Don't Get Too Comfortable by
David Rakoff

10.84 - 1 * The Flying Book: Everything You Ever Wondered about Flying
on Airplanes by David Blatner
-----
113.05 - Total (Ouch)

62.19 - *Rebate

BooksonBoard:

Before the Dawn by Nicholas Wade $12.68

Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku $16.07

Total: $28.18

Rewards: $2.31

So altogether a total hit of $ 141.68 out of Pocket.

Still it did give me $ 64.6 in Micropay and Reward Dollors to spend in the future, so not so bad.

The irritating part was that I bought over a $150 in Micropay the week before and could't use it for the sale.

That'll teach me to plan in advance.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
mmmm - none of my books would hurt your head - tried to get some of the authors suggested on the hard sf thread and several that had been on my wishlist:

State of Fear by Michael Crichton
Shadowfires by Dean Koontz
Atlantis Found [A Dirk Pitt Novel] by Clive Cussler
Hammered [Jenny Casey Trilogy Book 1] by Elizabeth Bear
Ancient Shores by Jack McDevitt
Infinity Beach by Jack McDevitt
Halo: Fall of Reach [Prequel to Halo Series] by Eric Nylund
Spin State by Chris Moriarty
Spin Control by Chris Moriarty
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrunk View Post
mmmm - none of my books would hurt your head - tried to get some of the authors suggested on the hard sf thread and several that had been on my wishlist:

State of Fear by Michael Crichton
Shadowfires by Dean Koontz
Atlantis Found [A Dirk Pitt Novel] by Clive Cussler
Hammered [Jenny Casey Trilogy Book 1] by Elizabeth Bear
Ancient Shores by Jack McDevitt
Infinity Beach by Jack McDevitt
Halo: Fall of Reach [Prequel to Halo Series] by Eric Nylund
Spin State by Chris Moriarty
Spin Control by Chris Moriarty
Looks Intresting. I've a long time fan of Cussler, and have most of his books in paper, and Atlantis in Trade which I picked up a while ago when travelling.
I Really enjoy his Cameos

As for being hard on the Head, Most of my choices are going to be well supplemented by a ton of free classics from here (Really want to read more of Wodehouse) and the Baen free Library. Been meaning to try out most of the Authors there, so this looks like a good time to do so.

The Main Reason I try to get these books is to get my reading back up to snuff . I've been reading Fiction almost exclusively over the last year or so, and have really fallen behind in my other reading. So I've made a promise to myself to read a Non Fiction book for every Fiction I read.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:34 AM   #4
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I just realised that the combination of Fictionwise's earlier Wishlist sale and the current Black Friday / Thanksgiving sale pushed a lot of books I was holding off buying as too expensive down enough that I could not resist.

BooksonBoard's matching sale was icing on the cake as a couple of books I wanted were even more cheaper there, even after taking into account Micropay, etc.

So I ended up blowing my budget AGAIN (Curses )

So I though I'll share the results of my Binge with you all and ask you what you got.
Haha, I hear you I have the same problem. Maybe I am addicted to buying ebooks.
I did the horrifying thing of buying some ebooks from eharlequin.
Jason Pinter - The Mark
Jason Pinter - The Guilty
Cliff Ryder - Aim and Fire
With the $5 discount it came to < $14.
Must stop buying ebooks
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Nothing.
Wanted to buy an alternative version of Count Monte Cristo, but they didn't have it. I had no choice but go somewhere else to get it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I didn't buy either. I got word from my credit card company that my card was compromised and they canceled it. I am waiting for them to send me my new card, and the sale will be over by then
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I didn't buy either. I got word from my credit card company that my card was compromised and they canceled it. I am waiting for them to send me my new card, and the sale will be over by then
Ouch that bites.

Have you got another card or account linked via paypal?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I downloaded the Sherlock Homes Omnibus from mobileread.com and the 3 chaos chronicles books.

They were all available as free downloads on black Friday.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I have $100 order in my cart and am trying to convince myself to pull the trigger. It would net me $50 in Micropay - the 40% from the sale plus the extra 10% for $100. But I'm already sitting on $74 in micropay...so I'm trying to decide if I want to cut my order down.

Last edited by texasnightowl; 11-30-2008 at 02:18 PM.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Ouch that bites.

Have you got another card or account linked via paypal?
I have another card for which I do not get airmiles It is my 'spare' card that my bank gave me, and I hesitate to use it because I have had it for two years and never used it, so I am worried that if they suddenly see activity on it, they'll get worried and cancel that one too I am going to have to wait for the new card and then hope for another sale---FW seems to have some sort of sale fairly often, so something will come up again, I'm sure. And I do have a lot to read right now
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #11
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I am going to have to wait for the new card and then hope for another sale---FW seems to have some sort of sale fairly often, so something will come up again, I'm sure. And I do have a lot to read right now
True, It does seem like that lately.

Still I think they've reached their limit for THIS calender Year, based on their comments on the front page that they're not going to extend this one, or have another one this year.

Taking it Literally, they could probably have one after the New Year, so who knows
Old 11-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #12
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I cut my order down to $40.

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown
2 Star Trek novels
2 historical romance novels
Steve & Me by Terri Irwin

16.32 Micropay
Old 11-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #13
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
OK, I cut my order down to $40.
I'm glad you had more self control then I did
Old 11-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
2 Star Trek novels
BTW: It seems that pocket books has the best price for Star Trek books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #15
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
I'm glad you had more self control then I did
Normally I don't...but between spending $$$ on my car; $$$ on a new laptop; $$ on airfare home for Christmas; Christmas gifts to buy, and the fact I had $74 in Micropay already in my account AND $108 in gift card balances at Amazon I just couldn't justify a large purchase just to run up even more in micropay.