Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
escapement
escapement began at the beginning.

Device: none
correct protocol for updating calibre

I have a quick question. I run gentoo linux and have become overly dependent on portage for package management.... Because the version of calibre in portage is very out of date, I installed the source tarball following the instructions.

I just have a quick question... I installed version 0.5.8 and the next day 0.5.9 came out. What is the correct protocol for removing 0.5.8 and then installing 0.5.9? There does not seem to be an 'uninstall' option in setup.py (or at least it is not appearant to me).

I don't like leaving a lot of cruft on my system so I like to make sure I purge old packages when installing update.

Thanks for all the hard work on calibre. Although I don't have an eBook reader it has saved me a bunch of tedious work in tagging my ebook collection with metadata!

tn
escapement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre installt itself under a single directory under /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages (apart from a few desktop shortcuts, man pages and launchers in /usr/share, /usr/bin)

unfortunately setuptolls doesn't have any uninstall mechanism, so you have to uninstall by hand
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
installation, linux, updating