Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Is this going to be a trend or something?

I pre purchased Kim Harrisons new book Black Magic sanction and was told I could download it Feb. 23.......Feb 23rd came and I was unable to download it and was told that the publisher had pushed the release date back to March 2nd. Today I tried to download it and seen the release date has been changed to April 6th. Are new ebooks not going to be available the same time as the pbook anymore? I checked several ebook sites and they all seem to have changed the release date or taken the book off their site completely.
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblossom View Post
...I checked several ebook sites and they all seem to have changed the release date or taken the book off their site completely.
Sounds frustrating!

If that ever happens to me, I'll vote with my $$ and cancel the sale.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Some of the major publishing houses have announced planned delays in ebook release dates - trying to bolster/force pbook sales. Probably will be an ongoing trend unless consumers vote with their wallets and don't the the delayed releases.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
That would drive me crazy! I'm afraid I would try the dark net, but I need to learn more patience.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A conspiracy nut could think that they're being unenthusiastic about the ebook market, maybe trying to slow the growth of it by encouraging people to choose the print version?
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
They will not get my money before I can get my ebook. It will not help the Hbook sales from me I will just wait. If anything it might cost them a sale because there will be more time for reviews to come out and if they are bad it might keep me from getting a book. I know it has been said before but I think they should be released at the same time and if it is a higher price (same as the Hbook) for the first three months or so fine but I will most likly wait for it to drop to $9.99.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Hmmm, I wonder how much an author/publisher gets paid when you read library books...
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #8
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
I have asked for a refund or a credit but I haven't gotten a response yet
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:34 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
Hmmm, I wonder how much an author/publisher gets paid when you read library books...
In the UK, slightly over 6p (US 10c). The payment from the "Public Lending Right" varies from country to country, and some countries (curiously) don't have a PLR at all. The money goes directly to the author, not to the publisher.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 AM   #10
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In the UK, slightly over 6p (US 10c). The payment from the "Public Lending Right" varies from country to country, and some countries (curiously) don't have a PLR at all. The money goes directly to the author, not to the publisher.
Small correction. The lends are estimated, a number of libraries count the lends from their collection and the total is extrapolated nationwide. It could be the author gets nothing if all the lends are from non counting libraries. In addition there is a maximum payment, not sure what it is now but is used to be 10k gbp. Catherine Cooksen for example always gets a maximum.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
Same thing happened to me. Same book.

This is a popular enough series that I suspect it will hit the darknet before the official eBook release date. I'll probably download it then, and read it, but I'll leave the pre-order standing. That way I can have a decent copy when it's officially released. Maybe a polite letter to the author explaining that her publisher is pissing off her fans is in order.

The funny thing is, if they had been honest about the release date from the beginning. I wouldn't mind. I'd have been perfectly willing to wait a month for the cheaper eBook. If I didn't have it on pre-order now I might even shell out $20 to download the audiobook, but that's not going to happen now.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I think ebooks should be positioned (and priced) at the second hand market level. So first you get your hardback at £14.99, then a few months later the paperback at £6.99, then a few months after that the ebook at £2.99.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I think ebooks should be positioned (and priced) at the second hand market level. So first you get your hardback at £14.99, then a few months later the paperback at £6.99, then a few months after that the ebook at £2.99.
But what if you don't want to wait 18 months to read the book? What should be the price if you wish to read it coincident with the hardback release?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
Apparently a polite letter to the author is unnecessary.

From her blog:

Quote:
What does this mean to you, the consumer? From what I’ve been told, the delayed release of the Black Magic Sanction e-book is affecting Kindles, Fictionwise, Nooks, Soney e-readers, along with a handful of others. (April 6th Go ahead, groan. Amazon priced them as a mass market, so that’s where they are sliding.) However . . . there are alternatives as I’ve been finding out.

Harpercollins/Eos was looking ahead, and though no one had a clue that the e-book situation was going to explode, they had someone out at my office with a camera about a month or so ago, gathering content for an enhanced e-book. This enhanced e-book content was designed for Iphones and Itouch, and since everything went boom, they decided to release it the same day as the hard cover, February 23rd. If you have a Iphone or Itouch and access to ITunes, you’re good to go. And you should see where you’re going! (grin)
Apparently there's an enhanced version available from iTunes, or apple anyway. It sounds like it includes the full text + audio book + some video interviews. I didn't think Apple was selling books yet. Does anybody know anything about this?
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Via my iphone, the iTunes store. I guess you can go directly to audiable.com for more information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Magic 001.png
Views:	247
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	47048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Magic 002.png
Views:	192
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	47049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Magic.png
Views:	241
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	47052  

Last edited by pagansoul; 03-03-2010 at 01:19 PM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote