Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #286
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, you can. The options you are after are:

Code:
[PowerOptions]
AutoFrontLightOffMinutes=15
AutoOffMinutes=0
AutoSleepMinutes=15
The numbers are minutes and zero means never.

There was a discussion earlier in the thread, but there is more in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220699.
Can't you also set these values in Settings, under the Power & Light section (or something similarly worded)?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #287
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Can't you also set these values in Settings, under the Power & Light section (or something similarly worded)?
Yes, but the options screen has a limited number of values. If you want something different, you need to edit the config file.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #288
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Yes, but the options screen has a limited number of values. If you want something different, you need to edit the config file.
Cool, didn't know that.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #289
achristinap
achristinap began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
My Mom and I both have a Kobo Glo but we each have separate profiles. We tend to read some of the same books and I hate for both of us to have to pay for the same book twice. I hooked up her Kobo and went to where the Kepub files are, copied them and pasted them on the desktop. I ejected her kobo and plugged my kobo in and cut and pasted those files into my Kepub folder of my kobo. Unfortunately, her books are not coming up on my kobo. How do I get her Kepub folders to work on my Kobo?
achristinap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:25 PM   #290
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achristinap View Post
My Mom and I both have a Kobo Glo but we each have separate profiles. We tend to read some of the same books and I hate for both of us to have to pay for the same book twice. I hooked up her Kobo and went to where the Kepub files are, copied them and pasted them on the desktop. I ejected her kobo and plugged my kobo in and cut and pasted those files into my Kepub folder of my kobo. Unfortunately, her books are not coming up on my kobo. How do I get her Kepub folders to work on my Kobo?
Strictly, you can't. The purchased kepubs are downloaded from the Kobo server. As part of this, the database on the device is updated to include information about the books. This includes the appropriate keys for the DRM that is on some of the books.

If the books are DRM free, adding the extension "epub" or "kepub.epub" will allow you to put the books onto her device and have them loaded. The different extensions tell the reader whether to treat the books as epubs or kepubs. If you do this, don't put them under the '.kobo" directory. The device does not look in that directory for sideloaded books.

You can also download most of the books as epubs from the Kobo store. If they are DRM free they can be put onto the device. If they have DRM, then they need to go through Adobe DRM to get onto an authorised device. Or you need to handle this DRM in other ways.

Finally, you can both use the same Kobo account on both devices. The problems with this are that both devices get all books and if both people are reading the same book, it can get confusing because the reading positions are synced via the Kobo server. If you want to handle it this way, you can probably talk to Kobo about moving the books from one account to another. I have had them do this for me when my account broke and I am fairly sure someone has reported doing it under similar circumstances to yours.
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 06:14 AM   #291
BatmansDouble
BatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Aura
Not sure if this is a new or old feature, but GestureKeyboard=true activates swipe-like typing -- complete with word prediction and selection.
BatmansDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #292
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by achristinap View Post
Have never tried it, but could you not just make her account a sub or child account of yours. Then wouldn't you have access to the same files without messing up each others reading locations?
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #293
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
Have never tried it, but could you not just make her account a sub or child account of yours. Then wouldn't you have access to the same files without messing up each others reading locations?
How the kids accounts work came up in another thread recently. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in that way. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...15#post2750715.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 AM   #294
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmansDouble View Post
Not sure if this is a new or old feature, but GestureKeyboard=true activates swipe-like typing -- complete with word prediction and selection.
I tried that ages ago and didn't see anything. But, I didn't know how it worked. I just tried it on my Glo, and and your description gave me an idea of what to do. And it works. I'm not sure how useful it is, but it does work.

As it took me a little time to work it out. Any time the keyboard is displayed, drag your finger over the keyboard. A line is drawn for the path your finger takes. It selects the letters that you hesitate on or turn a corner and tries to make a word. When you lift your finger, the possible words will be displayed above the keyboard. The first possibility will be put in the field. Tapping one of the other possibilities will use it instead.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #295
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
How the kids accounts work came up in another thread recently. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in that way. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...15#post2750715.
too bad.

thanks will check out the link
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #296
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
Is there any way to view the reading stats for a book you've finished?
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #297
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLandes View Post
Is there any way to view the reading stats for a book you've finished?
Only with a small hack. If you add the following lines into your "Kobo eReader.conf" file, then an extra option is added to the books menu in the library lists.

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
BookSpecificStats=true
If the "FeatureSettings" section is already in the file, just add the other line after the options that follow it.

The file is in the directory ".kobo/Kobo". If you are using Windows, do not use Notepad to edit the file. You need an editor that handles Linux style line ends. I use Notepad++ for this.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #298
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
Quote:
Only with a small hack. If you add the following lines into your "Kobo eReader.conf" file, then an extra option is added to the books menu in the library lists.

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
BookSpecificStats=true
If the "FeatureSettings" section is already in the file, just add the other line after the options that follow it.

The file is in the directory ".kobo/Kobo". If you are using Windows, do not use Notepad to edit the file. You need an editor that handles Linux style line ends. I use Notepad++ for this.
Thank you davidfor! That works like a charm! Exactly what I wanted.
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #299
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Getting to grips with my recently purchased Touch, is there a way to get the book list to display series information & collection information? (Not that I've managed to get the auto shelf management via Calibre to work...)
maddz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #300
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I hate to say it, the answer is by shelf management! Just make sure that you have the info in calibre, and also that calibre is configured for automatic metadata management.

When you initially connect, send books and disconnect, no series info will be populated.

When you RECONNECT then and only then will the Kobo database be updated with the data from the series columns in calibre.

Of course, even with this, the books will not be sortable within a collection by series info; this is why many of us (ok... some of us... (ok... I know *I DO*)) use a plugboard to prepend the series name and series index to the book's title.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote