Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe, Entourage eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Performance Boost: Enabling Dalvik's JIT compiler and increasing heap size<- Read :)

Hey, I forgot you can't change the titles of a post after the initial posting. So I am posting the bit about the Dalvik VM JIT I just noticed on my PE as well as heap size so more people see it.

Some light reading on Dalvik's JIT compiler.
http://android-developers.blogspot.c...alvik-jit.html

Android 2.2 added a JIT (Just-In-Time) compiler to the Dalvik VM. Dalvik is the interpreter that is the heart of Android and runs all your apps. (It is being superseded by ART in latest Android releases)

I was digging around in my build.prop looking for more stuff to do to my PE to try and get as much performance as I could out of the poor old thing when I noticed the Dalvik execution mode line. I did some googling and read up on Dalvik some and decided to try changing it to the JIT instead of the default failsafe "fast" mode. My Linpack results went from 3.1-3.2 MFLOPS average to 5.1-5.2MFLOPS which is a pretty drastic
increase.

The other thing I changed in my build.prop was the Dalvik heap size.I doubled the default heap size to 256MB from 128MB that is the default. The Dalvik heap size adjusts how much memory a Dalvik VM instance can use. The more memory a single app can use, the less often Dalvik has to run through its garbage collection routines. This takes a load off the CPU and may be one reason my PE has seemed so much snappier. This may just be placebo, though. It shouldn't cause any harm and the PE has 512MB of RAM to play with so... worth doing, imo.

Code:
dalvik.vm.heapsize=256M
dalvik.vm.execution-mode=init:jit
I have had my PE running with a 256MB heap for 2 years with no issues and a few days with the JIT on and no problems. I made the same changes to my friends PE today and he hasn't had any problems, either.
helf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
solarbanjo
Enthusiast
solarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Entourage Edge
And this is exactly why I keep following this forum. Great tip, helf! I just keep finding reasons to love my little Edge...
solarbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2014, 12:29 AM   #3
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

np! I'm glad people are still checking in. Post your experiences with the VM change, if you want. I'm curious to see how other people fair with it.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Gerrye
Zealot
Gerrye began at the beginning.

Device: 1 EE,3 PEs,HP Pro Slate12.2,&Kindle Paperwhite,GalaxyTabPro12.2,Note 4
Cool Adding some how to the what....

Quote:
Originally Posted by helf View Post
Hey, I forgot you can't change the titles of a post after the initial posting. So I am posting the bit about the Dalvik VM JIT I just noticed on my PE as well as heap size so more people see it.

Android 2.2 added a JIT (Just-In-Time) compiler to the Dalvik VM. Dalvik is the interpreter that is the heart of Android and runs all your apps. (It is being superseded by ART in latest Android releases)

I was digging around in my build.prop looking for more stuff to do to my PE to try and get as much performance as I could out of the poor old thing when I noticed the Dalvik execution mode line. I did some googling and read up on Dalvik some and decided to try changing it to the JIT instead of the default failsafe "fast" mode. My Linpack results went from 3.1-3.2 MFLOPS average to 5.1-5.2MFLOPS which is a pretty drastic
increase.

The other thing I changed in my build.prop was the Dalvik heap size.I doubled the default heap size to 256MB from 128MB that is the default. The Dalvik heap size adjusts how much memory a Dalvik VM instance can use. The more memory a single app can use, the less often Dalvik has to run through its garbage collection routines. This takes a load off the CPU and may be one reason my PE has seemed so much snappier. This may just be placebo, though. It shouldn't cause any harm and the PE has 512MB of RAM to play with so... worth doing, imo.

Code:
dalvik.vm.heapsize=256M
I have had my PE running with a 256MB heap for 2 years with no issues and a few days with the JIT on and no problems. I made the same changes to my friends PE today and he hasn't had any problems, either.
It might be helpful if those of you who put up articles about changing files like build.prop, go through the steps of how to change build.prop for those fellow travelers who would like to benefit from these improvements but are a little bit nervous about how to actually implement them without turning their beloved PEs into the dreaded "brick"

Thanks, in advance...

Gerrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
mjc1
mjc1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I'm a noob, so I have no idea how to do this. Can you or anyone else explain how this is done?Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helf View Post

increase.

Code:
dalvik.vm.heapsize=256M
mjc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
helf
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc1 View Post
I'm a noob, so I have no idea how to do this. Can you or anyone else explain how this is done?Thank you.
Hi, mjc. I will try and post an easy to follow step-by-step soon. I've been busy and failed to check on the forum. Sorry for the really delayed response. If you are still interested in doing this you can send me a private message and I can try helping quicker, as well.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
janhall_us
Enthusiast
janhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle2, Pocket eDGe, (full-size) eDGe, Nexus 7, Galaxy Note 10.1
Please don't take this discussion private... there are others that are lurking but interested too
janhall_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
helf
Zealot

Ha. I wont. Couldn't get to it this weekend. Gonna try over the next few nights. I need to update my eDGe anyways.

Since the mods appear super anal about image sizes and number of images, I will probably make a PDF and just post a link to it.