Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
pocoreader
pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Kindle impressions after a month

It has been about a month since I bought a Kindle. I bought it with the cover that has the light built into it. My impressions so far:

- Reading on my back in bed is much improved from paper books. Previously, turning the page meant I had to lift the book up; now I just press the button.

- I am once again looking up words in the dictionary. Previously I would have to get up, go downstairs to the office, choose a dictionary, and look up a word. Now I can look up words with a few clicks and do so all the time.

- Finding first/last/all appearances of characters, places, whatever is very simple, making it easier to keep track of plot complications, etc.

- Reading late at night, using that crafty pull-out light in the cover, does not disturb my wife.

- Glorious black and white (shades of grey?). The display is absolutely brilliant, as good or better than a paper book. Who needs color?

- Sending magazine articles to the Kindle is dead easy and I load it up on a regular basis from publications I could not afford in paper form.

- Free classic literature. Gutenberg Project and others are a great source of free works. I am reading Tale of Two Cities currently. Recently read a bunch of Ambrose Bierce. Have Jane Austen lined up for later in the summer.

- Easy to find and download books and previews and reviews of books by turning of the wireless and going to the Kindle Store.

- One slim volume holds all my reading: novels, non-fiction, magazine and newspaper articles. I have a job that allows me to read a lot of the time and pre-Kindle I hauled a magazine or two and two or three paper books with me, but not any more.

- Enjoyable checking in to MobiReads to see what other ebook and Kindle owners are up to.

In conclusion: I love my Kindle. I would recommend it to anyone who is a serious reader (serious being someone who reads a lot) unless that person wanted a game machine, color display, touch screen, etc. in which case probably an Ipad would be the way to go.
pocoreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocoreader View Post
- Reading late at night, using that crafty pull-out light in the cover, does not disturb my wife.
Congrats, it's a benefit I really wanted but I don't know how you get away with this. I have the build in light but my other half is still kept awake with the light . So much for reading in bed.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but we have many much nicer versions of the classics right here at MR than are available at PG.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but we have many much nicer versions of the classics right here at MR than are available at PG.
This depends. The newer PG books are well-formatted and hyperlinked. PG also has a greater selection, and with distributed proofreaders, PG's selection grows at a faster rate than MR.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
Congrats, it's a benefit I really wanted but I don't know how you get away with this. I have the build in light but my other half is still kept awake with the light . So much for reading in bed.
try this. it's a spotlight and there's very little light leakage beyond the circle of light it projects.

Last edited by alansplace; 06-01-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: a fix
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
try this. it's a spotlight and there's very little light leakage beyond the circle of light it projects.

Oh, thanks. Will add to the to-buy list.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- Finding first/last/all appearances of characters, places, whatever is very simple, making it easier to keep track of plot complications, etc.
D'oh! I totally forgot about search for this kind of stuff! I think 'wait...she's a cop? When did they establish that?!?'

Welcome to Kindle-dom. What's not to love?

Quote:
You know, I had something like that once. It got consigned to my "big pile o' disused book lights" even before I got my Kindle but I can't remember why. Mine looked more like a little bluetooth earpiece. Perhaps mine was not quite bright or wide field enough.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool it works well for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You know, I had something like that once. It got consigned to my "big pile o' disused book lights" even before I got my Kindle but I can't remember why. Mine looked more like a little bluetooth earpiece. Perhaps mine was not quite bright or wide field enough.
for me this one is bright enough and the circle it projects (at 15-18 inches) just covers the screen top to bottom and just a bit wide in the sides. it appears from the photo that it is the exact one that i use.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine was more like THIS ONE.
Could very well have been a reason it's less expensive....
Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I agree with most of your points, pocoreader. In addition, I am going back to reread a lot of books I haven't looked at for decades. I am taking advantage of ebooks to shed the bulk of my dt collection, built up since the 1950s. Books that are dear to me I am acquiring in eformat and I am enjoying them all over again.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'll have had my kindle for 3 months come the 15th and I have to say I agree that it is well worth the expense of buying it. I borrowed a Kindle 2 from my local library first to get a feel for what the Kindle was like and before the month was up (library loan time) I was ordering my own Kindle.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
ApK

Quote:
unless that person wanted a game machine
I find Chess, Blackjack, Scrabble, and other word games on the Kindle to to be t̶e̶r̶r̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ wonderful distractions.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I find Chess, Blackjack, Scrabble, and other word games on the Kindle to to be t̶e̶r̶r̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ wonderful distractions.
I hear you. A person can burn some hrs just playing with any one of the games available. Of course it also burns up battery charge, but it doesn't take long to recharge it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #14
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Of course it also burns up battery charge,
D'oh again! You just figured out for me why I had to recharge before I thought I should last week! Curse you, free Thread Words game!

Last edited by ApK; 06-01-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:

Oh, that's actually pretty nifty. I hadn't thought about using something like that.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle impressions