Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #196
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
Oh oh oh, I've been afraid to post, I don't know if this has already been suggested... But I love the book Survival of the Sickest. I know it's written for dummies, basically, in really simple language, and it goes into a lot of detail describing concepts, but I really really liked it.

Of course, I'm a nursing student.

Looks very interesting!

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Sicke.../dp/0060889659
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #197
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I really enjoyed Daniel J. Levitin's This is Your Brain on Music.

Maybe not too sciency, but The Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. Norman has been on my to read list for probably ten years.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #198
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thanks Cassidy I'll put it on my tbr list!
Physics of the Future sounds very interesting. Thanks for the write-up!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #199
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Recently finished "The 4 per cent Universe" by Richard Panek. It's really the biography of the notions of dark matter and dark energy. It's written in a style that has enough science to enable the reader to understand what the problem is that dark matter solves, but not so much that I, (disabled by a humanities background), couldn't understand it. For professional scientists there might not be enough in it, but for me it provided a fascinating insight into how science gets done.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #200
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Interesting, Thanks TGS, I'll check it out.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #201
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
I would like to recommend Trick or Treatment?: alternative medicine on trial (In the USA, Trick or Treatment: The Undeniable Facts about Alternative Medicine) by Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst. I read it some time ago (in paper) and for what I know it is now available as an ebook on Amazon.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #202
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I would like to recommend Trick or Treatment?: alternative medicine on trial (In the USA, Trick or Treatment: The Undeniable Facts about Alternative Medicine) by Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst. I read it some time ago (in paper) and for what I know it is now available as an ebook on Amazon.
That should be good. Simon Singh, of course, is the author who was sued in recent years for libel by the British Chiropractic Association for calling certain bogus chiropractic practices bogus. The suit was unsuccessful, but it cost Singh a small fortune to fight it. However, the damage done to the reputation of the BCA by bloggers, skeptics, scientists, doctors, and others who came to Singh's defense was so immense that many now have forgotten that the 'B' in 'BCA' was originally meant to stand for 'British.'
Old 08-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #203
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That should be good. Simon Singh, of course, is the author who was sued in recent years for libel by the British Chiropractic Association for calling certain bogus chiropractic practices bogus. The suit was unsuccessful, but it cost Singh a small fortune to fight it. However, the damage done to the reputation of the BCA by bloggers, skeptics, scientists, doctors, and others who came to Singh's defense was so immense that many now have forgotten that the 'B' in 'BCA' was originally meant to stand for 'British.'
Yes, that's him. I believe his legal costs where covered by a newspaper.
He's also the author of The Codebook, Fermat's Enigma and Big Bang which are great books, too.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #204
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That sounds really interesting, thank you!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #205
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Just finished Physics of the Future and it was a very interesting read. Normally, I don't read futurist books as the authors ofter get it wrong. But Kaku addresses this in the Introduction. He points out that those who get it wrong usually fail to interview scientists. Those who get it right usually do. And he interviewed 300 for this book.

He also points out that futurists usually fail to consider Cave Man thinking. As he points out, we are all the products of evolution and ancient ways still influence us. Thus the futurists who predicted that the internet, right after it was invented, would be used exclusively for the exchange of academic information got it wrong. They failed to consider our cave man need for social connections and thus missed this powerful social aspect of the internet.

He divides the next century up into three groups (Near term: Now to 2030; Mid term: 2030 to 2070 and long term: 2070 to 2100.) He covers entertainment, energy, space, medicine, travel and other areas for all three periods and what he has to say is very interesting and pretty believable.

I highly recommend it.
Interesting. I read a book, about the internet, in 1995, (published in 1993), that claimed the world wide web (www) had no value for the average person. Usenet and ftp were the future. The statement was obsolete by the time I read it. I guess that was why the book was on sale.

Last edited by Angst; 08-10-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #206
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Yes, that's him. I believe his legal costs where covered by a newspaper.
He's also the author of The Codebook, Fermat's Enigma and Big Bang which are great books, too.
Definitely agree that Big Bang was a very good book. Haven't read the others but now I think I will.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #207
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Definitely agree that Big Bang was a very good book. Haven't read the others but now I think I will.
I highly recommend The Code Book. It's a wonderful book, one of my all-time favourites. Beautifully written, full of historical, technical and human stories, covering from the very basic to the most elaborate ciphers. There's also a freely downloadable CD (the crypto CD) at Simon Singh's website, with additional material.

Last edited by Pablo; 08-12-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #208
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think Massimo Piqliucci's Nonsense on Stilts was quit spectacular. Biologist turned Philosophy, he has a podcast called Rationally Speaking the I quite enjoy.

Good to see other Simon Singh readers. His Trick or Treatment is great, as well. I've also read the Code Book. It looks like the publisher is lagging behind getting his older stuff into ebook format, but I'm holding out for Fermat's Enigma.

Both author's are great for understanding science's interaction with rational thinking in the real world. Plus, NoS and ToT were the first two books I read on my e-reader.

I also just finished World's of Their Own: A Brief History of Misguided Ideas, all about flat earthers, perpetual motion advocates, and other non-scientific ideas. Pretty good.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #209
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Here's an oldie but a goodie: 139 years old to be exact. Before the day has ended I'll have finished reading The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals by Charles Darwin. Despite its age, it's still quite frequently cited in scientific papers and recommended by those who research emotions and their physical manifestations. This is a book that has truly withstood the test of time.

I was inspired to read this after reading a couple of books by facial researcher Paul Ekman and his colleagues.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-13-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #210
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Bonk by Mary Roach; a very interesting review of human sexuality. Her delightful sense of humor made this a funny as well as interesting read. Every bit as good as Packing for Mars
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote