Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
considering pb
considering pb began at the beginning.

Device: none
HELP! Need to recover M92 Scribbles!

So...VERY unhappy about this...accidentally pressed the 'delete all scribbles' button and there was no confirmation message! It just deleted all my research!

I've recovered what I think are my scribbles using file recovery software (they are the sqlite files right?). Only problem...I can't get them to open back up in scribble on the reader. Is there a hidden folder I need to put them in? Where is it? (FYI I am a complete N00B)

Very much feeling the loss of this reader (I won't overwrite anything till I know what I'm doing). I love it, and do ALL my work on it.

PS is there a good piece of software to put on a mac that will show me the scribbles on my computer?
considering pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by considering pb View Post
So...VERY unhappy about this...accidentally pressed the 'delete all scribbles' button and there was no confirmation message! It just deleted all my research!
This button is one of the many odd things of this device - why would a programmer put a "delete all" next to "create" - pure thoughtlessness ...

I hope you can recover it somehow.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
MatthiasR.
M92 user
MatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Onyx M92
Hi,
unfortunately, I cannot help you either.
For everybody fearing the same: When in scribble mode, one can chose export under tools. The scribble is then saved in the notes folder of the internal storage as .sketch file and as a png, which can then be copied to your pc.

I really hope you find a way to recover them! Since its a linux you're maybe lucky and normal linux tools will help you (deleting something does not erase the file itself but mainly deletes the information where this information can be found). However, I've no idea if such an approach is feasible and how it would work for the m92.
MatthiasR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
[...]
PS is there a good piece of software to put on a mac that will show me the scribbles on my computer?
I'm very sorry to hear this! I sent you a PM, maybe not everything is lost.

About reading scribbles on a computer, I don't think there are programs that read those .sketch file, yet.
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Device: M92
It is about time to replace this very silly application by a decent one. I hope I will find some time in February. If anyone wants to help me, please fork https://github.com/peter-x/scribble (actually there is not much there yet...)
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
It is about time to replace this very silly application by a decent one. I hope I will find some time in February. If anyone wants to help me, please fork https://github.com/peter-x/scribble (actually there is not much there yet...)
Hi,
nice idea. I just could help you by donation your work
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I do scribling different way. I have pdf files with several blank pages. Open the file, activate scribbling in text and scribble.

You can export new pdf with scribles. Also "hand notes" file assotiated with given pdf is in subfolder .Onyx (the same name and extension scatch (or something very similar) )

I even tried, that it is possible use .scatch file with another file. I started annotate with very long file (2000+ pages) and realized, it is 5 books. I decided, to split the file to separate files, one book one file, but wanted to keep my freehand annotations. And it worked!

Let say.
I had 5books.pdf and scribbled in first 300 pages.
.Onyx contained 5books.pdf.scatch file
I split 5books.pdf to files book1.pdf, book2.pdf, .... (and put the files in the same folder as 5books.pdf)
I made copy of 5books.pdf.scatch and renamed it to book1.pdf.scatch

That's all...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
considering pb

Thanks everyone for your help. Still trying to work out how to do this: I will post again if I get a resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthiasR. View Post
Hi,
For everybody fearing the same: When in scribble mode, one can chose export under tools. The scribble is then saved in the notes folder of the internal storage as .sketch file and as a png, which can then be copied to your pc.
I have actually done this with a couple of the files (not all of them unfortunately). The problem I had was that:
1) the PNG file only contains one page. Most of my scribbles are 5+ pages long.
2) the .sketch file appears to be utterly useless. You can't open it on the boox. You can't open it on the computer. You can't import it back into the scribble program. This is half my problem: it seems to be possible to recover the old files, but you can't get them back into any format you can read them. If anyone has a solution to this, please correct me!

And thank you very much Mono: from now on I will do everything in pdf format I think (at least until they fix the scribble program)
Old 02-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #9
bassiks
bassiks began at the beginning.

I'm not sure but *.sketch files seem to be for Max OS X:

http://www.bohemiancoding.com/sketch/

Maybe you can find a program for windows (or better Linux :P)

Gimp may open it???
bassiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,
nice idea. I just could help you by donation your work
It seems that the sketch proxy provided in the onyx SDK is pretty much all that is needed for a scribble application. The attached binary (sources are on https://github.com/peter-x/scribble) can be used for basic scribbling, though the toolbar, loading, saving and changing the pen is not yet there.
Attached Files
File Type: zip scribble.zip (10.7 KB, 206 views)
Old 02-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
considering pb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassiks View Post
I'm not sure but *.sketch files seem to be for Max OS X:

http://www.bohemiancoding.com/sketch/

Maybe you can find a program for windows (or better Linux :P)

Gimp may open it???
Thanks for the suggestions

I tried Gimp...no luck. The Sketch program you suggested thinks it recognises the file, but then can't open it

Any other suggestions out there?
Old 02-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
I tried Gimp...no luck. The Sketch program you suggested thinks it recognises the file, but then can't open it

Any other suggestions out there?
The file format is an "internal" one from Onyx, so I would bet there are programs able to read that format even if they happen to have he same extension. The easy way to read them is to put them back in the internal scribble directory -- if you already made a backup and recovered your files I can write a script for this, just send me a PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
peterx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post
The file format is an "internal" one from Onyx, so I would bet there are programs able to read that format even if they happen to have he same extension. The easy way to read them is to put them back in the internal scribble directory -- if you already made a backup and recovered your files I can write a script for this, just send me a PM.
I just wrote a small python script to read everything that is in a .sketch file. I will now add a svg file generator and then upload this script. Please stay tuned.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
peterx
Connoisseur

I wrote a small python script that converts .sketch files (the sqlite database files generated by the export function) to SVG files.

https://github.com/peter-x/boox-annotation-export

Please tell me any errors and suggest improvements.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
FDD
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
I wrote a small python script that converts .sketch files (the sqlite database files generated by the export function) to SVG files.
You are the men!
I'll give it a try later. Really nice! I think a small Windows/MacOS X executable would be really useful. Also, B-Splines should be used to make the lines look better, but I'm no Python programmer, so I can't really help.

Last edited by FDD; 02-05-2012 at 06:38 AM.