Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
rglk
rglk began at the beginning.

Device: PC (Linux)
mobi -> pdf; top & bottom margins 0, links disabled

Using Calibre v.0.8.4 in Windows XP, I'm trying to convert a mobibook to pdf. When I use the direct conversion from mobi to pdf in Calibre, most everything works well (using some custom settings), except for two problems:

1. Calibre responds correctly to setting right and left margins in "Page Setup", but top and bottom margins on the pdf page come out to be 0, regardless of what value I set them to.

2. The mobibook has internal links (shown in blue), e.g. from chapter headings in the TOC to the actual chapter locations and from footnote numbers in the text to the notes in the back, and the reverse. These links are active in the mobibook, read in Mobipocket Reader or in Calibre's e-book viewer.

They are also active in the final pdf, if I go the following conversion route: mobibook -> html, using 'ebook-convert booktitle.mobi .oeb --debug ./' in the CLI in Linux, then feeding the unpacked html file found in the 'input' dir into htmldoc v.1.8.27 (after converting UTF-8 to ISO-1859-1). Much of the formatting is gone in that conversion (that version of htmldoc supports neither UTF-8 nor external or internal css) but the links still work in the pdf.

They are not active in the pdf converted directly from mobi in the Calibre GUI. Somewhere in that conversion the links have been disabled.

How can I fix these two problems?
rglk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cannot. They are both limitations of pdf output in calibre. The margins issue should be fixed in the next release, but the links will not work.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
rglk
rglk began at the beginning.

Device: PC (Linux)
Thanks, Kovid. When do you think the next release will be out, in which the margins issue would be resolved?
rglk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
New versions of Calibre are released on a Friday, so it should be next Friday, 6th April.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
_savage
Connoisseur
_savage began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I have similar issues with .epub to .pdf conversion, actually.

The margins (set all four to 72) work. But they also work for the cover image which looks a little ugly now, since it doesn't stretch across the entire page anymore; instead, it's shrunk into the text box of the remainder of the book.

My .epub contains internal links for the TOC or footnotes. The .pdf shows these links in blue, but essentially not functional. Is something broken here? If there is support for internal links, then they don't work; if there is no support for internal links, then they shouldn't show up in blue. Either way, something seems broken.

Cheers!
_savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
JerrySmile
JerrySmile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You cannot. They are both limitations of pdf output in calibre. The margins issue should be fixed in the next release, but the links will not work.
Hi,

I'm converting HTML -> pdf.
The TOC links don't work (they do work in mobi generated from the same HTML), i.e. I'm not sent to the appropriate chapter.
Has this issue been solved in the meanwhile?

Thanks.
JerrySmile is offline   Reply With Quote