Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
JohnAppleseed0
JohnAppleseed0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Remove Kindle DRM?

Hey, I want to be able to subscribe to the newspapers on the Amazon store, but I don't want to purchase the Kindle as my eBook reader. I need a reader that has great PDF support because I need to view a lot of technical documents and the kindle is a bit shady in this area. Is their anyway I can subscribe to content from the Kindle store (specifically financial times) for viewing on an alternate eBook device (probably Sony)? I.e. can I strip Kindle DRM?
JohnAppleseed0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is possible to strip the DRM from AZW ebooks, but you can't buy Kindle ebooks or subscriptions without having a Kindle associated with your account.

It is often possible to get newspapers by other means, some free and others under subscription.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
JohnAppleseed0
JohnAppleseed0 began at the beginning.

How can I get a newspaper by other means? I don't want to have to rely on RSS feeds though.

Also, their is no way around the Kindle requirement? You can't purchase eBooks as a gift or anything?
JohnAppleseed0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
griffey
griffey began at the beginning.

Where can I actually get the mobidedrm python script? Google fails me!
griffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAppleseed0 View Post
How can I get a newspaper by other means? I don't want to have to rely on RSS feeds though.

Also, their is no way around the Kindle requirement? You can't purchase eBooks as a gift or anything?
Why don't you like RSS Feeds? Mobipocket does complete feeds that don't require Internet access and the Financial Times has a ton of content through RSS Feeds available.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffey View Post
Google fails me!
Sometimes a less specific search is better, try: mobipocket conversion DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Do you by any chance know where I can get the .lit one? I bought a book in lit format but when I put it through the (unfortunately named) ABC Lit, the output is scrambled.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:16 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Do you by any chance know where I can get the .lit one? I bought a book in lit format but when I put it through the (unfortunately named) ABC Lit, the output is scrambled.
Search for "ConvertLIT".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:52 AM   #9
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Oooohhh for some reason I always thought ConvertLit == ABC Lit Converter and it didn't click until now. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAppleseed0 View Post
No, Amazon won't let you purchase Kindle books unless there is a Kindle registered to your Amazon account.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ABC Amber LIT Converter is seriously buggy. Don't use it.

Best thing to use after the LIT has been made DRM free using ConvertLIT (do not explode it) is lit2oeb and then you can convert from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
GatorDeb
Evangelist

I'm trying to use Convert Lit, and I start the program ReaderKeyRecoveryTool and then open a book with MS Reader, and it just hangs there for hours until I stop it

MS Reader is activated and I'm opening a book I bought at FictionWise and downloaded through IE. I don't know if it's a DRM5 book or not. How do I get it to work?

Thanks! I don't mind working through programs because once they work, they work beautifully. I can use mobidedrm and ereader2html with no problem, and now being able to buy lit books would expand my ebook selection considerably.

Now if someone would crack Adobe DE, I'd be set

I tend to not buy eBooks that I can't free (Amazon being an exception, as I will stick with the Kindle and its future iterations) and I can even free 80% of Amazon purchases, and I'm sure someone will sooner or later crack AZW1 and Topaz).
Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm afraid we're straying dangerously close to specific instructions for cracking DRM here, which would, of course, be contrary to forum policy.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #14
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Do you know of other places to wander off to away from this thread?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
GatorDeb
Evangelist

What's the evergreen, long time-consuming way?