Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
mmather
mmather began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre
Wish to boot from the SD card

It would be nice to be able to boot an OS from the SD card without flashing it.

Then it would be easy and safe to experiment with all sorts of stuff.

If it fails, just remove the OS from the SD card and reboot normally.

This can be done with a TomTom gps (the models that have an SD card), so why not here.
mmather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Well... I guess all you would need is to extract the code used to boot into the current
highly integrated linux OS. Then write a version that could boot from the SD. Of course
the new OS would have to be written to run an ARM9 processor and its support chips as
they are implemented in the JBL hardware. Then you would need the code to use the
JBL's buttons/keys and the display interface. You know that the ARM9 includes some
optimazations to help it integrate with linux, right? By linux I don't mean the fullblown
OS that you might be used to on a PC or netbook.

Let us know how you come out with that.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
mmather

Well ... I thought that, when you want to update your system, the following happens:
1. You put a bunch of stuff on the SD card, including a kernel, code to do the update to the flash memory, and the code to be put onto the flash memory. (The last encrypted, and to be decrypted in the process.)
2. You boot from the SD card.
3. The updating happens automatically.
So, it seemed that it would be easy to keep that kernel on the SD card and supply your own init. No flashing would be done, and you would be in control.
Because this has not been done yet, I must be wrong.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
mmather

Well, I have looked at the upgrade files for the JB and the Libre, and it provides part of the answer to my own question. (The JB download was JL04-v035d.zip)

It turns out that the upgrade file for the Libre is one encrypted file. You cannot do much with that.

But the JB upgrade file is actually a number of files, and one of them appears to be a shell script that does the upgrade. So, I imagine that, if you change that shell script to do other stuff, it might be very interesting. Anyone done that on any of these readers?