Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Simple atlas anyone?

Are there any collections of images I could download onto my ereader to use as an atlas. Must be ok in black and white (or shades of grey), countries split by area, formatted to match 6" screens etc. It seems like the sort of thing that should be out there but I can't find anything.

I know I have access to the web on the kindle but I just wanted some simple maps on my device.

Mike
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Removed, due to stupidity.

Last edited by capidamonte; 06-27-2010 at 01:08 PM.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
A web search for "world atlas" pdf download offers up this (among lots of junk):
http://www.archive.org/details/Mr.BrunsWorldAtlas
(copyright status? Haven't the faintest.)

It's from the Internet Archive.
26 Pages in color.
Displays fine on my 5" PB360.
How usable it might be will depend on your pdf viewer software and/or needs.

Been ages since I actually looked at an atlas (even though I have over a dozen of the things) that is one business the web has really decimated.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Been ages since I actually looked at an atlas (even though I have over a dozen of the things) that is one business the web has really decimated.
Maybe. But there's nothing on the web (that I know of) that can compare with a high-quality printed topographical map. Google maps and their kin are great, but at base they are little more than road maps. I've yet to see an on-line map that can hold a candle to a 1:50,000 O.S. Landranger, for example.

Admittedly, an interactive map has useful features such as distance calculators and driving directions, but neither of those are of any practical use to me.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Thanks for the suggestions. The atlas link was quite good but not really suited for my little kindle. I ended up using this site which had world maps that were simple enough to be viewed easily and could fit on the 6" screen. I just used their print option, then captured the image, then used paint.net to turn it to black and white and adjust contrast etc. I'm quite happy with the results but was just surprised something wasn't available.

Mike
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sadly, you should basically never be surprised when something isn't available for ereader devices.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote