Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Request for stickies!!

Would it PLEEEEEEASE! be possible to sticky some of the really good threads.

I remember see-ing somewhere a post about the optimal settings for converting a book in Calibre for the Kobo, and I can't find it again. The post had the correct boxes to check for font sizes, spacing, ect...

Also the "kobo epub fixer" thread would also be a good one to sticky as well.

Wading through the ultimate tips and tricks, kinda sucks when your trying to find something fast and I'm not sure that stuff is in there anyways.

Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Ditto.

Instructions for the "epub fixer" would be useful too. After much playing, I found that converting everything straight to epub in Calibre, then from the "epub fixer" find the files under Documents and settings/Me/Calibre Library (or Users/Me/Calibre Library), both of which are not where you'd expect them to be, and clicking only on "Options" and ticking "Remove fixed font sizes" but none of the others, fixes them completely. Then, again in Calibre, I select all the files and use the intuitive "right-click - send to device - send specific format - main memory - epub" option it all works beautifully.

And the bit about removing apostrophes from everywhere in the meta information to avoid the spurious "locked" messages too...

I never found any of the font size options either produced font sizes that they said they would, or indeed produced similar results with different files.

Last edited by kiwikobo; 06-13-2010 at 06:34 AM.
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Agreed, it would be worth it to distill all the common problems and fixes into a sort of FAQ and sticky that sucker. I haven't really seen any mods hanging out here, so I'm not sure how we'd go about this, as I'm pretty new to MR myself.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi View Post
Also the "kobo epub fixer" thread would also be a good one to sticky as well.
+1

That app is a life saver. I've seen a lot of people complain that manually removing/editing an ePub's CSS file is too technical, and that's fair enough. But the epub font fixer is super simple, and IMHO it is essential kit for every Kobo Reader owner!

It should also be linked to from the first post of the 'ultimate tricks' thread.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:48 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Agreed, it would be worth it to distill all the common problems and fixes into a sort of FAQ and sticky that sucker. I haven't really seen any mods hanging out here, so I'm not sure how we'd go about this, as I'm pretty new to MR myself.
Orochi, Stinger, kiwikobo, and artificial great idea. I don't have a Kobo (I have a Sony 505), but having the information in one place as a FAQ would be very helpful for Kobo owners.

Someone would have to gather and organize the information, decide how to list it, and set up a TOC with links that jump to the information.

You could work as a group to find and discuss what to include. Having all the information collected and organized before beginning the FAQ thread will keep it clean and uncluttered. You could use this thread that you have started already as a gather and discuss information to include.

Is anyone up to doing something like this? If so, Orochi can request a change to the title of this thread. Just let us know what to rename the thread.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 03:50 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Factual information such as "how to do..." is much better off in the Wiki than in stickly threads. Anyone can create Wiki articles - please go ahead and do so if you think that such articles would be of use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
GraemeWi
GraemeWi is on a distinguished road

I've added a small FAQ section to the Kobo wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_eReader - super easy to add material :-)
GraemeWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Well done!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Yeah, The wiki will make collaboration much easier. I've done a descent amount of work over at Wikipedia, so I'll feel right at home over at the MR wiki

The FAQ could get rather large with the current amount of bugs and quirks with the Kobo. Whats the rule of thumb at the MR Wiki regarding sub-pages? Should we split the FAQ into it's own sub page?

Anyway, I created the Talk Page for the Kobo article, we can collaborate through that pretty easily for now. We can also create an IRC channel if you guys want a more real-time chit-chat, bring it up on the talk page if interested. Anyway, Kudos to you all for being proactive, lets get the the turd polished!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

I've added a list of potential FAQ topics to the Wiki discussion page:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Talk:Kobo_eReader#FAQ

Feel free to edit it as required.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Factual information such as "how to do..." is much better off in the Wiki than in stickly threads. Anyone can create Wiki articles - please go ahead and do so if you think that such articles would be of use.
And stickies of wikis is better than either. Because people often come to the forum and ask questions we've answered on the wiki.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

I'll make an effort to put more information on the wiki, when i get the chance late today. Great idea so far. That said i'm still unsure if i should refund my kobo .
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

D'Oh! I shall write out 100 times "I must read to the end of the thread". Sorry guys, I bunged a few FAQ answers on the wiki page before reading your talk page -- I didn't realise that you were all so organised planning and preparing so I just dived in! Feel free to delete or modify my edits as required...
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
Stinger
Asha'man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikobo View Post
D'Oh! I shall write out 100 times "I must read to the end of the thread". Sorry guys, I bunged a few FAQ answers on the wiki page before reading your talk page -- I didn't realise that you were all so organised planning and preparing so I just dived in! Feel free to delete or modify my edits as required...
No apology necessary Kiwi. Thanks for contributing to the Wiki that's what it for! Feel completely free to add anything you think will be helpful in the FAQ, including moving the drafted questions from the talk page to the actual article. In fact, I fully encourage you, and anyone else, to do so.

The talk page is only strictly necessary if we find ourselves in an 'edit war' situation. So we can democratically discuss any disputed/controversial edits. 'Good Faith' edits are always welcome! like you said, we can always touch up any rough edges later, so go to town!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Very nice job, everyone. The wiki page looks great and the new sticky (with the message to check the wiki) will be very useful.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote