Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Trouble with a large PDF

I have a large book in PDF format. The PDF file 7.6 MB, but when I convert the file to LRF with Calibre the resulting file is only 57KB. When I transfer the book to my reader it only captures the first 11 pages.

I can load it to the reader in PDF format, but the font size is extremely small and for some reason the time needed to turn the page is much slower than usual.

I've never had this happen before. Any suggestions?
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Where did you get the PDF? Some PDF creation software creates incredibly bulky PDFs.

Some PDFs are made with the scanned image over each page hiding the actual text; how this is done varies, and can make the file difficult to convert. Some are just formatted in a way that eats memory & makes them slow to work with. (I don't know either. When I can, I convert those to other formats, or poke at the PDF settings with Acrobat until the problems go away.)

If it's something you can share, PM me & I'd be happy to take a look at it and either convert it to a more useful format, or try to figure out what the problems are.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Thanks Elfwreck.
I hadn't thought to convert it to something else and then to an LRF. I'll try that.
It's kind of shareable - I probably shouldn't have this file, but there's a good reason why I do!
I'm pretty new here and it's the first forum I've ever joined. How do I PM you?
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
Thanks Elfwreck.
I hadn't thought to convert it to something else and then to an LRF. I'll try that.
It's kind of shareable - I probably shouldn't have this file, but there's a good reason why I do!
I'm pretty new here and it's the first forum I've ever joined. How do I PM you?
Click on anyone's name (except your own) and there's a dropdown menu; "send private message" is one of the options.

Or you can email me at elfwreck at gmail dot com.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's most likely an image based PDF.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I have converted 12+MB PDFs to ePub (mix of graphics and text) using Calibre.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote