Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
icebattle
icebattle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, iPhone, N810
Quick PRS-505 Question

Hi All

Got my new PRS-505 todat and am so far pretty happy. It did crash shortly after I started it for the first time, but I'm hoping that isn't a vision of things to come.

Quick question - on my PRS-500, sliding the power switch was a smooth operation, however, on the PRS-505 there is a slight click. It feels "right", but if it isn't the same on other folks' units, I want to take it back right away.

Thanks
Wayne
icebattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I can't say what's "normal", but I can say my 505 doesn't click. It's just a smooth slide to the right.

Good luck!

EDITED: (Just decided that might sound sarcastic - all I mean is, I hope you can determine if it's a defect and that you can return it for a replacement).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
No cick on mine and I received it a week ago brand new from Vann's.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Mine doesn't.... but oddly it did freeze/crash on me once very early on and has been absolutely fine since (the reset really does what is says it seems...)

Coops
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:21 AM   #5
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
No click on mine either (bought 7 months ago). It does freeze then re-boot occasionally, usually when hit with complex page formatting and a second page-turn click from impatient little me.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 03:59 AM   #6
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I have had mine about a yr and a half. The power switch slides smoothly. As for crashing or freezing... Does that once in a while, but I just keep a paper clip near by and 5 secs on the reset and it's as good as new. Sometimes it does take some time to format too.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
hotkiwi
hotkiwi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
No click at all. Mine is 1 month old and never had a click.
hotkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:22 AM   #8
icebattle

Thanks for the replies, folks. I took my unit back to the Sony store and they agreed that the action was wrong. A few minutes later I walked out with a new reader and I'm a happy camper once again!

cheers
Old 07-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
pedgarcia
Connoisseur
pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
icebattle,

I bought mine two days ago and my power button *does* click. It seemed for me something normal and actually I liked it.

What they said at Sony store? Is it something that probably will stop working?

Thanks

Paulo
pedgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
icebattle

Hi again
The click on my previous unit was noticeable, almost a double-click - especially when compared to the smooth operation of the store units. The switch on my unit also felt a bit loose - not much, but it was there. They told me it was unlikely to be a problem, but I insisted on a swap.

On my new unit the switch is firm and smooth with a very, very slight click as it engages. It feels exactly like the other units in the store, including the 700.

I would insist on a new unit if I were you. They are already expensive, and to have it fail just after the warranty ends would be terrible.

cheers
Wayne
Old 07-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Glad it worked out for you.

Mine crashed a couple of times, too. No crashes since I began clearing the history. Utilities - clear history.

It won't lose your bookmark when you do this.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote