Hi Sparrow,

Point taken.

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #17
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6REW View Post
Hi Sparrow,

Guess that makes you more American than Brit then

Honestly do you not find this amusing?

It is a very sad state of affairs when we find ourselves wanting to sue for all and anything.
But the point is, it isn't a frivolous suit. The woman has an injury, causing pain and the inability to work at her chosen profession. Perhaps she could have varied her routine enough so that the injury wouldn't have occurred. I just don't know the details. Her contention is that the employer required her to work in such a manner as to cause the injury. That isn't frivolous. It isn't suing "for all and anything". It's suing for damages caused by her work environment, and more particularly, as Ricky has pointed out, suing to get compensation that the employer is required, by law, to provide.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #18
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
But the point is, it isn't a frivolous suit. The woman has an injury, causing pain and the inability to work at her chosen profession. Perhaps she could have varied her routine enough so that the injury wouldn't have occurred. I just don't know the details. Her contention is that the employer required her to work in such a manner as to cause the injury. That isn't frivolous. It isn't suing "for all and anything". It's suing for damages caused by her work environment, and more particularly, as Ricky has pointed out, suing to get compensation that the employer is required, by law, to provide.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #19
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Hi Ricky,

Many thanks for the explanation, but you must try and take on board that we in the UK and I have now found some Americans see this as a joke through and through. To have someone sue for such an injury beggars belief to us.

But hey that's what makes us different.

I would certainly not call the title 'stupid', 'salacious' maybe, but as you can see I stole the title from the article.

So just chill out and take it for what it is, a bit of a laugh and no more.

Best regards

Chris
Chris, I was talking about the title of the article. That title I consider to be both stupid and salacious. The fact that you chose to take the title of your post from the article is not important.

So, to have someone sue for $30,000 of medical damages that should have come from a fund that they paid into as an employee to cover on the job injuries is something that beggars belief to you?? Well, maybe that's because you live in a country with socialized medicine. We don't have that in the US. I wish we did, but we don't.

I find nothing about $30,000 in medical bills caused by a work injury to be funny or a joke. Sorry, I just don't. If a logger had an on the job injury and cut off his hand, and had to sue the logging company for medical coverage ... I suppose you all would think that's a joke too??

What level of medical damages do there have to be before it isn't a joke anymore?? Is there a particular amount of pain that is a joke ... and one that isn't?? I've had carpal tunnel ... and I didn't find the pain to be very funny myself, but hey .... you find other people's physical pain to be funny, and I don't. We are indeed very different.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #20
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I found the title startling- and expected the thread to be about someone suing a spouse or former spouse for insisting on sex too often.

Otherwise it sounds like a perfectly standard workers compensation case. The only thing I found a little surprising was the fact she was actually masturbating as I thought most such sex workers did not actually masturbate but rather imitated the sounds of masturbation.

Otherwise it's work says do 'x' -- employee is injured doing 'x' -- pretty straightforward.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #21
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I found the title startling- and expected the thread to be about someone suing a spouse or former spouse for insisting on sex too often.

Otherwise it sounds like a perfectly standard workers compensation case. The only thing I found a little surprising was the fact she was actually masturbating as I thought most such sex workers did not actually masturbate but rather imitated the sounds of masturbation.

Otherwise it's work says do 'x' -- employee is injured doing 'x' -- pretty straightforward.
I thought pretty much the same thing. It should have been a regular worker's comp case ... but apparently she had to sue the employer to get coverage. Which is just wrong.

For those who think of it as a joke ... I'd be really interested to find out why it's supposed to be a joke. The only thing that take it out of the ordinary is the fact that the woman was a sex worker.

So, if I understand the joke correctly, anytime a sex worker is injured, that is supposed to be funny. Is a serial killer who targets sex workers also funny? I mean, if an injured sex worker is funny, I would think a dead sex worker would be downright hilarious.

Jack the Ripper must have been one of the UK's greatest comics. Who knew?
Old 09-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #22
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
You do realize that replies such as yours are just a bit insulting? And as such, create a result where nothing else you post will be dignified with a thoughtful response?
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #23
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
You do realize that replies such as yours are just a bit insulting? And as such, create a result where nothing else you post will be dignified with a thoughtful response?
Nope, Taylor .... I don't think C6REW understands that at all.

Not even the tiniest bit. Sad really.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:33 AM   #24
C6REW
Connoisseur

Blxxdy hell guys,

Aren't we getting just a teeny weenie bit offensive now!

For goodness sake back off. I have already made it clear that we obviously differ.

Of course pain and suffering are not a joke. But you still don't get the fact that here in the UK for most of us, this is funny. The fact that the original article was written by an American means some of you also find the same.

Lighten up a bit and do some serious chilling. For goodness sake don't start trying to make accusations about my character that you have absolutely no idea about. That is rather foolish for a forum that in general is for people who perhaps have a little more understanding and intelligence.

Go have a beer and if you are ever near Devizes, Wiltshire which is just down the road from Stonehenge, let me know and we can have a beer together.

Hopefully this will be the end of the matter, which makes me realise I best not put any jokes on mobile read in the future as I obviously do not understand the cultural differences between us. But hey that's life.

Best regards

Chris
Old 09-21-2008, 03:19 AM   #25
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I am afraid that nothing is funny in the USA right now. Mega Corporations that made a mantra out of "Keep the Government Off Our Backs" have just requested and received a Trillion dollar welfare payout from the taxpayers.

We all feel a bit like disgruntled sex workers at the moment.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:43 AM   #26
C6REW
Connoisseur

Hi Donnageddon,

Many thanks for the explanation.

Regards

Chris
Old 09-21-2008, 04:24 AM   #27
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No problem C6Rew, I am always available for a quick and unreliable explanation.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:33 AM   #28
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I find nothing about $30,000 in medical bills caused by a work injury to be funny or a joke. Sorry, I just don't. If a logger had an on the job injury and cut off his hand, and had to sue the logging company for medical coverage ... I suppose you all would think that's a joke too??
As a general instance of a (so-called) daft lawsuit, this story might be considered funny (especially in the UK where we're still quite prudish about sex and sex workers).
If you think of the article as a specific instance of someone who is actually suffering, then it's not funny.

But then, is seeing someone with their arm trapped in a printing press entertaining? I watched it all the way through with a sort of gruesome fascination. Public executions attract enthusiastic crowds around the world. Sarah Palin enjoys shooting moose. Killing fish is a very popular hobby. Maybe, as a species, we just aren't as enlightened as we like to pretend we are (I know I'm not, but don't tell anyone ).

Last edited by Sparrow; 09-21-2008 at 04:36 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:56 AM   #29
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

"is seeing someone with their arm trapped in a printing press entertaining?"

Is it accompanied by a laugh track?

An old lady slipping on a banana peel is found by many people to be a laugh riot if accompanied by a professional laugh track.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:59 AM   #30
C6REW
Connoisseur

Hi Sparrow,

Thanks for your input. You reminded me of when I taught electronics in another part of the world (not allowed to mention where!) and was walking in the town. Someone grabbed me and pulled me into a square where it turned out two men had raped a boy.

The parents have the right to how an execution would take place and in this instance it was a stoning. However, having thrown a couple of stones a large lorry then tipped the rest on them!

An awful site but then again they knew the punishment for such a crime.

Regards

Chris