Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
MissileMax
MissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Nook Touch, Nook simple touch, Note2
Share my Phone's internet with Pocket Edge Via EasyTether and Ubuntu on my laptop

I have been looking for a way to share my phone's Internet connection with the pocket edge for long time and today I have partial success using my laptop.
Graphic representation of Internet connection:
Internet----[Phone]----USB----[Laptop]----Ad-Hoc Wifi---[Pocket Edge]

I am using a Droid2 with Android 2.3, a rooted Pocket Edge with Android 2.2, a Lenovo T61p with Ubuntu Linux.

Software needed:
Easy Tether installed on phone.
ZT-180 Adhoc Switcher installed on Pocket Edge.

Steps:
-Install EasyTether on phone and client on laptop.
-Install ZT-180 Adhoc Switcher on Pocket Edge
-Start Easy Teather on phone
-Connect laptop and verify internet is working
-On laptop create an Ad-Hoc connection and under the IP-v4 tab select "Shared to other computers"
-On the Pocket Edge setup ZT-180 to connect to the Ad-Hoc network you created on your laptop.
-Select Try Ad-Hoc mode. It took 2 or 3 times to connect, but then it worked.

Some might ask why? I use it travelling, so I can surf the net on my edge in a comfortable chair. (I bring my laptop with me anyway, but the edge is nicer for reading and surfing.) It also lets my kids connect their stuff to my laptops wi-fi and get to the Internet.

Lastly, Verizon doesn't charge me for broadband tethering when I connect this way.

-MissileMax
MissileMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
If you are running ermine on the pocket edge it is easier to replace the wpa_supplicant on the pocket edge and it will allow you to see adhoc connections along with regular wifi connections on the pocket edge and no other program required and the upside is that with the z180 switcher you have to remember to change the setting back.

See this link for details https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...oc#post1773860
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
MissileMax
MissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Nook Touch, Nook simple touch, Note2
Just when I thought I had read this entire forum I find something I missed. I replaced my wpa_supplicant ... though I forgot to back up my old one, the new one is working great and I can attach to my AdHoc network perfectly.

Since I posted this, I was able to install clockwork recovery on my droid2 and patched my phone so now I can just Wi-fi tether my edge to my phone.

Thank you!
MissileMax is offline   Reply With Quote