Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #166
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
Figured out the "oe" problem, the Book Cleaner uses the character œ (unicode 156) as a temporary conversion character, Book Designer must be matching this to "oe" and then converting to an em-dash. I simply ammended the before and after macros in Book Cleaner to use the unicode character 137 (guess this is never used in books) instead of 156 and it seems to work fine now.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #167
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FangornUK
I simply ammended the before and after macros in Book Cleaner to use the unicode character 137 (guess this is never used in books) instead of 156 and it seems to work fine now.
Hey, FangornUK, what are you editing the .BCF files in? NotePad?

I can open them there, but all the undefined characters (that show up as little boxes) are making me a bit unsure of what I'm seeing, and a bit leery of just editing them ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #168
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
You just edit them in the Book Cleaner utility. I made copies of the two .BCF files and edited those. It's not too intuitive, but just select the 'before', edit the unicodes and 'save', then select the 'after' and do the same.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #169
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
vvv, great stuff! Only problem after setting Book Cleaner up it also changes "oe" to em-dashes too, i.e. shoe changes to sh—
Just replace uni(156) in scripts by some other unicode symbol (or by symbol's combination) which is not used in your book.

The default replacement of middle and long dashes by the short ones was done in order to accelerate and simplify the book formatting and editing. However recently many users have asked me to make this feature optional. So, when I will have a time, I will add a checkbox "keep dashes" to the Settings.
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #170
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
vvv, would it be possible to add a few features? I would really like tables, graphics next to text, the ability to change the text sizes and fonts. So for example, I can use Times New Roman if I desire and for bold text, I can use Times New Roman (Bold) and then for itlaic, Times New Roman (Italic).

Thanks!
Jon
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #171
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
You just edit them in the Book Cleaner utility. I made copies of the two .BCF files and edited those. It's not too intuitive, but just select the 'before', edit the unicodes and 'save', then select the 'after' and do the same.
Thanks! I'll check that out!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:15 PM   #172
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
vvv, would it be possible to add a few features? I would really like tables, graphics next to text, the ability to change the text sizes and fonts. So for example, I can use Times New Roman if I desire and for bold text, I can use Times New Roman (Bold) and then for itlaic, Times New Roman (Italic).
The table's support is in plans (you can see the "table" row in styles). But right now I have no time to provide it, maybe in July...

As for the images inside the text, BD itself has this support. And in lrf there is such an option, but unfortunatly it is not working properly...

Last edited by vvv; 04-19-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #173
vvv
Zealot

The users have found a problem with formatting of lit-files (sometimes the spaces before <i>-tags are lost). It turns out that it was a bug in clit12a which is used in BD for the preliminary lit processing. The bug was fixed in clit18. To install it under BD: Get it from
http://www.convertlit.com/clit18.zip
unzip, rename clit.exe as clit12a.exe, and copy it to the main BD dir.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:00 PM   #174
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
vvv,
Does this also fix the problem with meta-tags not being recognized by Reader or Connect; i.e., LIT-to-LRF via BD? I've posed the question in a few other threads, but no one has responded, perhaps because they don't know. I edited the tags using EditLRFMetaGUI, but no tags show while when polled using the meta tool, the tags are there. Thanks for the help!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #175
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvv
The users have found a problem with formatting of lit-files (sometimes the spaces before <i>-tags are lost). It turns out that it was a bug in clit12a which is used in BD for the preliminary lit processing. The bug was fixed in clit18. To install it under BD: Get it from
http://www.convertlit.com/clit18.zip
unzip, rename clit.exe as clit12a.exe, and copy it to the main BD dir.
I had noticed that sometimes. You and any others doing the programming on BookDesigneer rock!
And rock in italics, too... !
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #176
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
vvv,
Does this also fix the problem with meta-tags not being recognized by Reader or Connect; i.e., LIT-to-LRF via BD?
What meta-tags do you mean?
Old 04-21-2007, 11:50 AM   #177
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
The ones that the Reader and Connect use to see the author, title, Book ID, etc., when loaded. If either cannot be read, the book will be filed by file name. I opened the file in EditLRFMetaGUI and was able to see that BD filled these when it was created; however, for some reason the software nor the device can read them.

Thanks for addressing my question, love the program!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:20 AM   #178
Yaksha
Yaksha doesn't litterYaksha doesn't litterYaksha doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
Question: When I import a file (a pdf) that has superscripts, it makes these "titles."

Is there any way to either

a) Remove the superscripts
b) Keep them as superscripts, and not titles

I tried unchecking "detect titles by keyword" and "detect titles by style keywords" but the superscripts still came up as titles.
Yaksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:50 AM   #179
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaksha
Question: When I import a file (a pdf) that has superscripts, it makes these "titles."

Is there any way to either

a) Remove the superscripts
b) Keep them as superscripts, and not titles

I tried unchecking "detect titles by keyword" and "detect titles by style keywords" but the superscripts still came up as titles.
I am also curious about this feature. If a pdf file has a name of the book on every even page, BD thinks it is a title and insert it into TOC as well. I didn't know what to do and just gave up...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #180
Yaksha
Yaksha doesn't litterYaksha doesn't litterYaksha doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat
If a pdf file has a name of the book on every even page, BD thinks it is a title and insert it into TOC as well. I didn't know what to do and just gave up...
I might be able to help you with this as I also had this problem.

My work has Adobe Professional, and while you can probably do this with Adobe Standard, I'm not sure if you can do it with Adobe Reader. But give it a shot!

Anyway, open the PDF and go to a page with the title at the top. Then go to Document -> Crop Pages.

Under "Margin Controls" change the top so that the line appears below the title.

In "Page Range" select All. I kept mine as Apply to: "Odd and Even Pages" but you might try just Even.

Click OK to crop the document.

Now, even though it's cropped, the words are still there. If you try to save the PDF and import it into BD, it'll still detect the title text. Also, you should check the document to make sure you didn't crop anything you didn't want to.

What you have to do is go to File -> Print. Select Adobe PDF and print it to a new document.

Open the new document and voila, no more titles every two pages.
Yaksha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner