Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #16
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think the only way to guarantee the cover is in the file is if ou un a conversion (even if it is to th same format)
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #17
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I think the only way to guarantee the cover is in the file is if ou un a conversion (even if it is to th same format)
Yes, but you don't need to run a conversion to get the Sony thumbnail to match what's in calibre - hence my post #10. Should work for all books, even DRM.

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-31-2011 at 05:43 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #18
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Did you customize Preferences - Plugins - Device Interface - Sony as per post #10 above.
That did it for the most part, I actually found the info in this post. It's odd though that without those 2 items checked in the plugin preferences, that any thumbnails would have been uploaded to the 350 at all. So I really didn't think that was the issue at first.

To test it, I deleted a book and then re-added it back (ejected the 350 between steps). When I first added the book back, it was the plain white text page again. So I plugged it back in, and then it seemed to just resync on its own and the correct image was in the thumbnail directory.

I can't figure out the logic behind when it decides to really sync the images or not yet, but it seems to be working just fine for the most part, just often not on the first upload of the book for some reason.

I actually had gotten used to (and really liked) identically sized images for all the thumbnails though that I had fixed. It just looked so neat and orderly.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I actually had gotten used to (and really liked) identically sized images for all the thumbnails though that I had fixed. It just looked so neat and orderly.
Well there's no law against continuing to do it the long way

Quote:
I can't figure out the logic behind when it decides to really sync the images or not yet, but it seems to be working just fine for the most part, just often not on the first upload of the book for some reason.
The first time you send the book the Sony always extracts the thumbnail from the book. There is no known solution to it deciding to throw away calibre's thumbnail on first send. Post #10 attempts to explain all. The only time the correct thumbnail is extracted first time is if the correct cover is already inside the book when you send it first time.

Edit: Fixed in Calibre v7.44

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-05-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: update for Calibre v7.44
Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #20
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there possibly any setting that I'm missing where it would tell Calibre to always resize the covers to a fixed 168x217 and ignore aspect ratio for the thumbnails only? While I'm usually as anal as can be about preserving aspect ratio in images, in the thumbnail size it really doesn't matter much. Under Preferences, Output Options I have "Preserve cover aspect ratio" unchecked, but don't see anything else that might affect that setting.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #21
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is there possibly any setting that I'm missing where it would tell Calibre to always resize the covers to a fixed 168x217 and ignore aspect ratio for the thumbnails only? While I'm usually as anal as can be about preserving aspect ratio in images, in the thumbnail size it really doesn't matter much. Under Preferences, Output Options I have "Preserve cover aspect ratio" unchecked, but don't see anything else that might affect that setting.
Not that I know of. You could always try opening a new ticket for an enhancement.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #22
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I'll do that, and thanks much for the help with all the settings, so far I'm loving Calibre.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
That did it for the most part, I actually found the info in this post. It's odd though that without those 2 items checked in the plugin preferences, that any thumbnails would have been uploaded to the 350 at all. So I really didn't think that was the issue at first.
You don't have to have those two settings checked for the Sony to extract the image from the book. But if you want the thumbnails to automatically reflect the covers in calibre you either have to check the two settings and automatic metadata management or you have to do a epub to epub (non-DRM) conversion to insert the cover inside the book. Once the cover is inserted inside the book resending the book to the Sony fresh (after deleting any existing book from the Sony) should cause the Sony to extract the thumbnail cover from the book.

As I understand it calibre's plugin method allows you to set new thumbnails even for DRM books. Calibre will not do a conversion of a DRM book so you can't insert a new cover via the conversion method cited above.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #24
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

For anyone still reading this thread there has been a new development today. This post may be of interest.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #25
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Anxiously looking forward to the next release, and thanks for the update.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #26
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I just updated to 0.7.44 and have all uniform-sized thumbnails, looks sweet! Thanks much.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-04-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Tags
calibre, covers, drm removal