Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
ARussell
ARussell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can't disable generated ToC

I've got a CHM file I'm trying to convert into a MOBI so that I can read it on my Kindle. This book already includes a table of contents at the beginning of the book. However, when I try to convert to any other format, whether it be MOBI, PDF, or EPUB, another table of contents is added to the beginning of the book right after the front cover. It's just a big, long list of plain, blue links.

I assume this is the generated table of contents added by Calibre, but I can't get rid of it no matter what! The hierarchical list included with the book is much easier to read, and I don't like having two table of contents. I've tried setting the Number of links to add to Table of Contents option to 0, I've checked Do not add detected chapters to the Table of Contents, I've tried setting the TOC Filter to .*, etc.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something incorrectly? I'd appreciate any help! Thanks.
ARussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
BRGriff
Connoisseur
BRGriff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Once you convert a book with calibre to a .mobi file, it will generate a TOC which is required by Kindle. The generated TOC will appear at the end of the document. The generated TOC then becomes a part of the document itself so if you try to use that new .mobi file as the input to use for converting to another format, i.e.: Epub, you are going to get duplications of the TOC in the process. If you wish to avoid this, use the original, unconverted CHM document to create an Epub or whatever other format you desire.

There is some confusion in what you say. First you state you want a .mobi document to read on your Kindle (which, again, requires that a TOC be generated) and then you talk about converting that to an Epub or other format. Why do you need another format?

For more information on this subject, you can refer to the calibre User Manual. Specifically, this link: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html . Look under the heading "What's the deal with Table of Contents in MOBI files?".

If this doesn't help, ask for more assistance.

BRGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
ARussell

Thanks for replying, brgriff. I'm using the chm as the source for all the conversions I try. Ultimately I do want a mobi file to read on the Kindle, but I tried converting to other formats to make sure it wasn't a mobi-specific problem. And yeah, I already read that passage in the user manual and spent a whole day Googling and searching around for the answer to this.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not generate a table of contents *except* when converting to MOBI. If you have a table of contents at the start it's there in your CHM file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
BRGriff
Connoisseur
BRGriff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the clarification Kovid. I was trying to make sure that I limited my answer to just the .mobi conversion but I may not have been clear enough. No sense in confusing anyone and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!!
BRGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
ARussell

@kovidgoyal I'm actually starting to think this is the case. However, if this redundant, uglier ToC is, in fact located in the actual CHM file, it's not visible. Do you know of any way at all to get rid of it?

Last edited by ARussell; 06-06-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open your epub file in sigil and simply delete it. Or use a regex in calibre's search and replace to do the same.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
ARussell

I'll try that; thanks.