Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
cosmic_joke
cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle voyage
Question Calibre intermittently not recognizing nook color

Good day,
I have tried goggling and have not found what's causing the problem. Sometimes Calibre recognizes the nook color and the SD card within it and sometimes it doesn't. Yesterday I was putting things on all afternoon and to make sure everything looked right I disconnected and reconnected a couple of times and calibre kept recognizing it just fine.

Today it's not recognizing it, I've tried disconnecting it and reconnecting with calibre open,calibre closed, connecting it while in sleep mode and then turning it on while connected to the computer and having it already awake when I connected it in case that made a difference.

I have tried restarting the computer and running the repair calibre options.
any ideas?
cosmic_joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Welcome to MR

Someone with nook knowledge (say that fast , will be along.

Some devices have a specific step to perform or the just wind up in 'charging' mode. (mine displays a message for a short period when fires connected and assumes 'charge' if I do not press the right key)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can get more info by starting calibre in debug mode (click the arrow next to preferences)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
cosmic_joke
cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's odd. I had given up on getting it recognized by calibre. I had left it connected just there while I did other things. I turned on calibre an hour or so after that, trying to see how I find debug mode and the nook color was recognized.
I don't get it.
Does the nook need to be connected for an hour before it gets recognized by calibre?

I don't understand that.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
cosmic_joke

On a separate note, is itunes supposed to open when i open calibre? or is it not suppose to do that and it could be related with the issue i am/was having?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_joke View Post
Does the nook need to be connected for an hour before it gets recognized by calibre?
I suspect you had a ipod or other apple device charging. This prevented calibre from seeing your Nook. To prevent this go to preferences - plugins - device interface plugins and disable the Apple plugin.

Killing the plugin won't hinder getting books to an Apple device since the recommended method for getting books to an Apple device is via the connect to iTunes feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_joke View Post
is itunes supposed to open when i open calibre?
No.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-03-2011 at 07:54 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
cosmic_joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I suspect you had a ipod or other apple device charging. This prevented calibre from seeing your Nook. To prevent this go to preferences - plugins - device interface plugins and disable the Apple plugin.

Killing the plugin won't hinder getting books to an Apple device since the recommended method for getting books to an Apple device is via the connect to iTunes feature.
Hmm, my iphone was connected at the same time. And I had disconnected the iphone already by the time i restarted calibre and it was working, so I'm going to disable that plugin and if that's the problem I shall be doing a happy dance in your name.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
ghost6007
ghost6007 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I just ran across this question while looking for a solution to the same problem; I registered on the forum just to answer this question.
It seems that when you "unlock" your Nook Color and plug it into a Windows 7 computer, the PC locks up the NOOK color and so when you launch Calibre, it won't recognize the device.
In order to rectify this, simply "eject" the "NookColor" from you Windows System Tray. When you do it, Calibre will immediately pickup the device and you should see the "Device" icon in the Calibre software screen.
I verified this by duplicating the issue and solution about 3 times on my Windows 7 PC.
Hope it helps.
ghost6007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, nook, nookcolor