Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-19-2022, 11:01 AM   #1
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast
HappyCalibreUser began at the beginning.

Device: none
Should or Can there be an Author link?

A question for Mr. Goyal, or creator's of the plug-ins:

Calibre works great as is. So I don't want to see it messed up with something that might not work or not be feasible for its design. And I don't want to bug people asking for a feature that would cause problems or be too difficult to bother with.

I've often wished for a way to describe the author and/or their sometimes many pseudonym's and a small image.

Could a pop-up page similar to the edit page be created and linked back to the Author column name. Creating only a single pop-up page that can be 'clicked-on' and viewed.

Max Brand is one of my problem edits. I think I counted once that he used around 20 pseudonym's.

Currently I try to use the author's real name & then add the pseudonym used. This then looks like there were 2 author's. (At one time I was adding every name used in the author column but that was so messy-looking as though it were 20 story writers for every book by that author.)

I currently use the first book comment as book description, add a seperator line and a brief author bio description. Then have to remember to change the bio around to the first book as needed.

If the books author uses multiple names could they all be linked to a single pop-up author name/pseudonym sheet, with a (image, birth/death, bio description), would this even be fesible?

Maybe the card might look like:
Small Image top left
Birth / Date to the Right of the image
Below that the Bio

If this is dumb, I'll shut up.
HappyCalibreUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 12:34 PM   #2
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast

Oh, sorry, I see Mr. Goyal has addressed something like this already.this already.

02-23-2018, 10:39 PM
If you want to maintain a note on books, simply use the comments field or a custom column. If you want to maintain notes on authors, as uli points out you can maintain them in a wiki, or just use a folder with plain text files and use file:/// URLs to link them.
Advert
Old 04-19-2022, 07:05 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Author table has a Link field which is available via the Manage Authors feature. If you put a URL in it then, when you click on an Author name in Book details, the URL will open.

It can be any url that has a designated default protocol handler installed. I've used http, file, evernote, onenote, and mailto URLs.

Also see The calibre:// URL scheme. I use this feature to link Author names in my "Books" library to a record in a separate "Authors" library where I have Author specific custom columns. Entries in "Authors" library link to their records in the Books library. I also use it to link related books.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 12:16 AM   #4
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast

Thank you Better Red, I'll certainly look into this.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:18 AM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
It can be any url that has a designated default protocol handler installed. I've used http, file, evernote, onenote, and mailto URLs.
mailto:? Are you in regular communication with some author or another?
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert