Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
itsmattxp
itsmattxp began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook Page turns

I haven't found a thread yet that comments on the Nook's page turning after the firmware updates. Is it still more sluggish than the Kindle and Sony PRS 505 or did the firmware updates fix it.
itsmattxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
tanzer21
tanzer21 began at the beginning.

Device: Microsoft Reader
With all the updates its still about the same. A few seconds or so before the next page displays.
tanzer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
The page turns are about the same as my Sony PRS600.. and faster than a kobo, I have not compared it to a kindle but comments from other uses here say it's about the same as a Kindle. ...less than a second

The firmware updates have improved the nook dramatically...
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
itsmattxp
itsmattxp began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
So the Nook is still slower than the Kindle, Sony, and Kobo?
itsmattxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
A few seconds or so before the next page displays.
????

Are you sure you're running 1.4? On my Nook page turns take less than a second.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
I've owned a Sony 505 since December '08 and a Nook Wifi since the week they were released (w/ the latest firmware). I used the 505 virtually every day until I got the Nook, and the Nook almost every day since then. If there's a difference in page turn speeds, I can't tell.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
As I stated the nook is NOT slower.. it's about the same if not faster
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmattxp View Post
So the Nook is still slower than the Kindle, Sony, and Kobo?
The Nook is definitely FASTER than Kobo. I have owned both.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
the page turning is much much faster. It's on par with the Kindle and the rest.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
maxprofwell
maxprofwell began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzer21 View Post
With all the updates its still about the same. A few seconds or so before the next page displays.
Are you turning with the side arrows or by swiping the touch screen. I swipe and it is much faster than a second.

Prof M
maxprofwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #11
planet_dwarf
planet_dwarf began at the beginning.

I have tried to swip on the touch screen with quick movement, say less than a second within 2cm, and it always turn the page. If my finger is too slow, which is longer than 3 seconds, than the page won't turn. You don't need to apply much force there on the touch screen, just slight movement will do the trick.
planet_dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I have owned a Nook, Sony Touch, Sony Pocket and Kindle 2 at the same time. The Nook (with 1.4), Sony Pocket and Kindle 2 (with 2.5) had IDENTICAL turn page rates.

The Sony Touch was a bit faster. But it came with screen glare. I like to read the page after it turns
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I've owned the 505 until I switched to the Nook about a month ago. The page turning rates on both devices are exactly the same. Although if comparing the Nook itself with the 1.4 firmware update then the 1.4 definitely has a faster page turning rate. I tried the 1.3 model in store before I bought mine. I was kinda expect mine to be sluggish and slow (like 3 seconds) but I was pleasantly surprised when I found out the page turn was much faster than the one in store.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
rkolling
rkolling
rkolling began at the beginning.

I simply slide my finger across the screen when I get to having one or two lines left on the page. By the time I finish, the next page appears. No big deal.
rkolling is offline   Reply With Quote