Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Fictionwise has noticed the Sony

My apologies if this has been mentioned before. I haven't had a chance to read the forums for a couple of days.

Fictionwise has added Sony .lrf to their list of formats available for multiformat e-books. I just grabbed the October issues of F&SF and Analog, as well as a couple of other multiformat books. I hit the pulldown to get my usual "Large print PDF" versions, and there it was: "Sony .lrf".

They're apparently still working out the kinks, though. When I tried individual downloads, it kept coming up with a "page not found" error for the .lrf files. The bulk download, however, worked just fine. I got a tidy little .zip file full of nicely formatted .lrf goodies.

At least someone is paying attention.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Wow. I mean - Wow! Jason, those multiformat e-books are usually not DRM protected, are they?

I wouldn't mind having a second store to choose from buying my Reader e-books.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Actually, I believe they are. However, you can redownload them in about ten different formats now. Plus, one of those formats is .lit, so you know how that goes.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:25 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Actually, I believe they are. However, you can redownload them in about ten different formats now. Plus, one of those formats is .lit, so you know how that goes.
That would be awesome. I am not so upset about the DRM thing - in fact, assuming they support LRF DRM, it is very likely that they will offer LRF e-books for any kind of content - including the bestsellers.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
jasonkchapman
Guru

I don't know if it will help, but I plan to vote with my mouse. I'll be downloading all of my multi-format books in .lrf format from now on. If they track the numbers by format, who knows?
Advert
Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Great news! I am going to create an account right now!

Well, not right now because it's 4.40 A.M. here and it's not a very good idea to start shopping when one can't sleep.

I already have several thousands books that I want to read and now I can add a couple hundreds to that list. This is embriagating!

Last edited by Andanzas; 08-22-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
The multiformat book downloads are not DRM protected, there's both DRM LIT and non-DRM LIT, LRF is non DRM and I think LRX is DRM, I don't think anyone except sony knows how to make LRX files yet
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just did a bulk download and got most of the Hugo nominees in LRF. It looks like they may have used html2lrf based on looking at the header. They look quite good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
jasonkchapman
Guru

Go to "my bookshelf". You should see a "Bulk Download" link in the left-hand column, just below the "my bookshelf setup" box.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #10
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
I just found out whilst buying Dark Autumn by Clint H. Dunshee was going to choose the lit format until I so the sony format but the page is down , I'll try later or tomorrow to re-download all my books
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I just found out whilst buying Dark Autumn by Clint H. Dunshee was going to choose the lit format until I so the sony format but the page is down , I'll try later or tomorrow to re-download all my books
Use the bulk download even to just download one book. It will give you a ZIP file that will contain your LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #12
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Go to "my bookshelf". You should see a "Bulk Download" link in the left-hand column, just below the "my bookshelf setup" box.
Cool all my books are in LRF format and now to subscribe to Asimovs and Analog emag's
Old 08-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #13
Gibbo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Use the bulk download even to just download one book. It will give you a ZIP file that will contain your LRF.
Thx JS
Old 08-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Cool all my books are in LRF format and now to subscribe to Asimovs and Analog emag's
Would you have links for those emags? What format do they come in?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #15
Gibbo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Would you have links for those emags? What format do they come in?
Fictionwise has them.

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/magazine.htm