Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #61
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm definitely buying the larger screened Kindle when it comes out next year. I'll skip the 1 year refresh on the small screen one since it costs $400.

I hope they make the device 8.5 by 11 as opposed to the screen that size because anything wider than 8.5 won't fit into my bag....and that would be annyoing.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #62
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I would like to see different colors, but not pink. I'd like to see a nice dark color that will contrast well with the light gray screen.. so maybe dark blue, like the Sony, or a dark gray (that would be my first choice). I know it's been a non-issue for Kindle owners who have no choice of colors, but I can say that the dark blue Sony does make the background of the screen look whiter in comparison with the silver (and I've spent hours at the Sony Style store, multiple times, comparing the two), and that is a huge plus in my opinion. I ended up with a silver for other reasons, but I think dark blue is the way to go in general for the PRS-505.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #63
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Actually, the timing (early 2009) checks out. Remember that Sony it's launching in Europe next year , and that means publishers have agreed to license catalogs.

New versions will allow amazon to switch to GSM radio or maybe even wifi, making it compatible with European networks.

The only part of the stry that bugs me is that AMZ probably had a long term contract with Verizon. And that would impli multiple hardware versions, (or new carrier). Which seems unlikely.

For the next verion I'd for a sliding keyboard to maximize the screen area.

Anyway, aren't rumors fun...?
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #64
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I hope they make the device 8.5 by 11 as opposed to the screen that size
This almost has to have the same 9.7" Vizplex screen as other vendors are considering. It is "only" A5 sized (half of A4), so I think the device will be a bit smaller than 8.5 by 11. The Astak Mentor is expected to be 7.7" by 10" for example.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:51 AM   #65
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Damn. I just bought a new Kindle. Should I return it before the thirty days are up or do you think they'll give some kind of discount for customers who purchased their Kindle after a certain time like the iPhone?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 05:33 AM   #66
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Amazon must be in a very *uncomfortable* position now.

Quote:
Amazon can't win at this point by staying quiet. Unless it's able to squash the rumor convincingly, you can kiss Kindle sales goodbye over the next three months. Nobody wants to buy a $360 gadget that's about to get an upgrade.
Link
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #67
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Yes, I totally agree this puts the perspective buyer in a very uncomfortable position, If I am unable to get a Reader relatively cheap from either here or Ebay, I will be waiting on word from Amazon on the 2.0 until I buy New.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #68
JackieFrost
Banned
JackieFrost began at the beginning.

Device: Plain old Laptop!
Can somebody tell me what's with their NOT releasing the kindle in the U.K. How would that move hurt them in anyway? Ok it might not be as evolved a market so the profits might not be as much, but it wont' hurt to release it either and pave the way...I would really really like someone to help understand their motivation...
JackieFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieFrost View Post
Can somebody tell me what's with their NOT releasing the kindle in the U.K.
Well, for one thing "Whispernet" self-evidently wouldn't work, since it uses CDMA, and the UK's mobile phone system is GSM.

Even if they replaced the CDMA comms module with a GSM one it would still require regulatory approval and a deal to be done with one of the telecoms operators for "free" data traffic which, given the way that mobile phone systems operate in the UK, would not be straightforward to arrange.

Then on top all THAT we have the issue that many books have separate publication deals in the US and UK, and those would all need to be negotiated for UK sales.

Is that enough to be going on with?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #70
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It would be great if Amazon offered a stripped down Kindle (Kindle Lite or Kindlette?), without Whispernet. Just the basic Kindle that would get it's content via computer and USB cable (like the Sony). It would still keep the Audible player as well as the mp3 player and all the features not tied to Whispernet. If they could sell for around or a bit below $200, I think it would fly out of the door, especially to countries outside of the U.S. because they would still have access to the Amazon catalog.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #71
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It would be great if Amazon offered a stripped down Kindle (Kindle Lite or Kindlette?), without Whispernet. Just the basic Kindle that would get it's content via computer and USB cable (like the Sony). It would still keep the Audible player as well as the mp3 player and all the features not tied to Whispernet. If they could sell for around or a bit below $200, I think it would fly out of the door, especially to countries outside of the U.S. because they would still have access to the Amazon catalog.
Kindlette?? (I tried typing this with a straight face.) I guess Kindle Mini is out of the question, But you have my 200 bucks if it happens.

JJ
Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #72
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'd probably get one for my daughter at that price. (Even though she might just as well like to stick with my eBookwise 1150 or start reading on her Nintendo DS.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #73
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Here is even more fuel for the fire

http://www.electronista.com/articles...dle.2.october/
Old 07-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Kindlette?? (I tried typing this with a straight face.) I guess Kindle Mini is out of the question, But you have my 200 bucks if it happens.

JJ
Kindling?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #75
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Ok just to stir the pot, I emailed Amazon and asked when they would be accepting pre-orders on the new Kindle.

JJ
So going to MR Hell

Tags
duck!