Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
So, I just ordered a Kindle...

They're out of stock, of course, but I submitted my order anyway (hoping desperately that it will arrive before I take off for vacation in early May). I am a long-time ebook reader via Palm PDA's (primarily eReader books since the late '90s). I now have an iPhone and rarely carry my Palm Tungsten T5 with me anymore. I never really liked the T5 as an ebook reader to begin with (I had a Sony Clie NX70v that was an excellent reader, and I regret selling it), but it was convenient since my Palm used to do so much more for me.

I did eye the Kindle when it was released, but declared it hideous and too expensive. Now my commute to work by train has tripled to 1 hour due to a recent move and an ebook reader moved to the top of my list to help pass the time (I can only watch so many movies and listen to so many podcasts and music on my iPhone). I did read about the Cybook reader (the Sony reader is out - I use a Mac and just can't support a company that does nothing for Mac users), but the wireless capabilities of the Kindle are really what sold me - the last thing I want to do is spend time on the computer each night after getting home late to hunt down new books and sync them. I'm sure the industrial design will bug me (if it is indeed as ugly as pictured), but I'll probably get over it.

I just wanted to say hello, and ask the collective group to cross as many fingers as possible that they'll be available soon and I'll get mine before I'm required to drag a pile of paper books with me on vacation in May to read while lazing on a beach...
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Welcome to the forum. You might want to consider getting an M-Edge cover, which will transform the appearance and feel of the Kindle.

To my eye, it's the original cover that makes the look of the thing questionable.

I've had mine since December, and have never been sorry that I purchased it. The wireless download is a terrific function and makes it soooo easy to buy new reading material.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Welcome to the forum. I'm a mac user as well, and the Kindle is much more mac friendly than the Sony Reader. And most people agree that the Kindle isn't as ugly in person as it looks in photos.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Welcome to the forum. You might want to consider getting an M-Edge cover, which will transform the appearance and feel of the Kindle.

To my eye, it's the original cover that makes the look of the thing questionable.

I've had mine since December, and have never been sorry that I purchased it. The wireless download is a terrific function and makes it soooo easy to buy new reading material.

Jim
Thanks! Ah, I hadn't even thought about the accessories yet! I am a complete accessories nut, and I will start by checking out the M-Edge cover!

I'm glad to hear you've been satisfied with yours. My only worry is that the wireless downloads will be too easy and I'll go a little nuts buying books. Then again, one can never have too many books.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
macgirl
geeky girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Welcome to the forum. I'm a mac user as well, and the Kindle is much more mac friendly than the Sony Reader. And most people agree that the Kindle isn't as ugly in person as it looks in photos.
Sony has been on my nerves for a while - that whole ATRAC format annoyed me, along with the memory sticks. I used to be a Sony nut when I was younger, but that silliness totally turned me off, and getting back into Macs just made it worse. When will they learn? Until then, I'm voting with my money...

I'm glad to hear it's not as ugly in person! I think I've just been spoiled by Apple products for so long that I'm a bit disappointed to spend this much and not get a device as lovely and sleek as my other gadgets...
Advert
Old 04-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I ordered my Kindle in mid-January and received it in mid-February. I think 3 weeks. There's a thread here that people post to with information on their wait times. People are reporting 2-4 weeks, which says there's a high probability of receiving yours before your vacation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl
I did eye the Kindle when it was released, but declared it hideous and too expensive
I think that what makes it look so bad is the white plastic housing. My biggest complaint about the white housing is that it emphasizes the fact that the "white" background in the eInk screen is grey. A grey or dark housing would give an impression of higher contrast between text and background in the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strether
The wireless download is a terrific function and makes it soooo easy to buy new reading material.
And the "immediate gratification" provided by the delivery of new reading material makes it so easy to buy on impulse!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
macgirl
geeky girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I ordered my Kindle in mid-January and received it in mid-February. I think 3 weeks. There's a thread here that people post to with information on their wait times. People are reporting 2-4 weeks, which says there's a high probability of receiving yours before your vacation.
I think that what makes it look so bad is the white plastic housing. My biggest complaint about the white housing is that it emphasizes the fact that the "white" background in the eInk screen is grey. A grey or dark housing would give an impression of higher contrast between text and background in the screen.
And the "immediate gratification" provided by the delivery of new reading material makes it so easy to buy on impulse!
Sweet! I'll have to keep an eye on that thread - thanks!

I agree - it's primarily the white housing. I much prefer the look of the Cybook and Sony readers in comparison. I think the buttons make it look a little busier as well, though I understand they facilitate searching the bookstore much easier - I just wish they could have found a more attractive way to present the buttons. Oh well - my iPhone will still be the star of my gadget collection...
Old 04-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
That for Amazon is the genius of this device.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
IAnd the "immediate gratification" provided by the delivery of new reading material makes it so easy to buy on impulse!
I have bought way more books that I should have because of this feature!

Macgirl, don't forget that our mobileread ebook upload forum has gobs of free books that work and look great on the on the Kindle as well.

Last edited by tsgreer; 04-02-2008 at 12:29 AM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #10
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
The wait time has been running 4-6 weeks - I ordered mine Feb 23 and got it March 24, but it looks like the wait is creeping up toward 6 weeks for the people just after me.

If I were a daily commuter, I'd be thinking more in terms of a protective bag for the Kindle to go in, rather than a different cover. The cover leaves the sides exposed, which in turn lets crud(tm) get between the cover and the screen, especially if the Kindle is shoved into a bag.

Waterfield has some nice-looking bags for the Kindle
http://www.sfbags.com/
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #11
macgirl
geeky girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
I have bought way more books that I should have because of this feature!

Macgirl, don't forget that our mobileread ebook upload forums has gobs of free books that work and look great on the on the Kindle as well.
I noticed that upload section - I am quite sure I will be using it a lot once my Kindle arrives! And I also found info here on a way to get my eReader books onto my Kindle - brilliant! I am really liking this site already...
Old 04-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
macgirl
geeky girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSo View Post
The wait time has been running 4-6 weeks - I ordered mine Feb 23 and got it March 24, but it looks like the wait is creeping up toward 6 weeks for the people just after me.

If I were a daily commuter, I'd be thinking more in terms of a protective bag for the Kindle to go in, rather than a different cover. The cover leaves the sides exposed, which in turn lets crud(tm) get between the cover and the screen, especially if the Kindle is shoved into a bag.

Waterfield has some nice-looking bags for the Kindle
http://www.sfbags.com/
6 weeks? Nooooooooooo!

I hadn't thought about a bag for it. I will check out the Waterfield ones - thanks for the link!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:24 AM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hope it arrives sooner than 6 weeks macgirl !
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #14
macgirl
geeky girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Hope it arrives sooner than 6 weeks macgirl !
Thanks for the positive wishes! I can use 'em!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #15
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl View Post
I noticed that upload section - I am quite sure I will be using it a lot once my Kindle arrives! And I also found info here on a way to get my eReader books onto my Kindle - brilliant! I am really liking this site already...
Yeah -- I spent my "wait time" in downloading books from this site, and putting them onto an SD card in advance. It's something to do while you wait for the Kindle! I'm another Mac / Kindle gal -- and I also found the eReader conversion to be immensely helpful.

Welcome!! Glad you've joined the Kindle ranks -- and the mobileread ranks. This is a GREAT place for info and friends!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote