Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #376
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Undoubtedly the kobo looks lovely, what with the screen real estate and the increased resolution.

I am barely holding off a purchase, maybe soon I 'll just pull the trigger and suffer through their poor software and customer support for the beautiful display.

I still think amazon's implementation of the light guide, and what other tweaks they might have performed, give it a better contrast.

That's from what I 've seen so far in pictures and video, I 've not put them side by side in version, so I could be wrong.

I'd suggest that if anyone's going to buy the aura they should be looking to buy the black version instead btw, as the perceived contrast will be improved, as with every device using a black instead of a white bezel.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #377
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
There are two that I know of:

Amazon Kindle DX - $235.00
ECTACO JetBook Color 2 -$499.95

The problem both of these eReaders are over $200. Too expensive for the average consumer who can easily get an Android tablet that can do more.
These are hardly comparable to a Kobo Aura. The Aura is only slightly larger than the popular 6" ereaders. Looking at the specifications on the Kindle Paperwhite, the resolution is only slightly higher (265 ppi for the Aura vs. 212 ppi for the Paperwhite). The only reason why I'm considering it is the resolution is significantly better than my Kobo Touch's 167 ppi and the front light may be nice, but I'd have to check it out in the store first because I need to find out if it's good enough to handle sanely formatted PDF documents. Even then I'm not expecting the world on PDFs, just enough to read technical documents.

Don't get me wrong, Kobo makes great readers. I'm even excited about the Aura, but I'm still scratching my head over why anyone would order it sight unseen.
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #378
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I have a white bezelled Glo and would never have thought that there was a perceived lack of contrast problem. I am much more bothered by the general tackiness of black plastic, and the fingerprint magnet effect. Each to his own I guess.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #379
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post

snip

Don't get me wrong, Kobo makes great readers. I'm even excited about the Aura, but I'm still scratching my head over why anyone would order it sight unseen.
I ordered it sight unseen because:

1) I am a bit of a KOBO fangirl
2) I knew I could return it if I didn't like it.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #380
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
I ordered it sight unseen because:

1) I am a bit of a KOBO fangirl
2) I knew I could return it if I didn't like it.

S
I don't find it too risky a purchase. I own a Glo which is my fave. of the 'lit' readers, and my Mum owns a Kobo Touch. We love our Kobo readers and use them every single day. Now purchasing my very first reader in 2009, which cost a heck of a lot more than the Aura, now that was a risk as I had never seen let alone used any type of eInk device before that.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #381
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:

Because for many people there is no opportunity to actually see one.

It's no different for Amazon and they sell millions sight unseen. But this is where good customer service is important and that customers know a device may be returned if not liked.

Last edited by Skydog; 04-24-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #382
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
It's shipped! Just received the email from WHSmith (UK). With any luck it will be here tomorrow.
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #383
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
It's shipped! Just received the email from WHSmith (UK). With any luck it will be here tomorrow.
Snap. My Aura is marked 'Sent' on the order page and the order is now marked complete. I got my email at 4.30pm to confirm this.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #384
Sharkey
Sharkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
The only reason why I'm considering it is the resolution is significantly better than my Kobo Touch's 167 ppi and the front light may be nice, but I'd have to check it out in the store first because I need to find out if it's good enough to handle sanely formatted PDF documents. Even then I'm not expecting the world on PDFs, just enough to read technical documents.
I'm about the same. I have a Kobo Touch that works great for basic EPUBs, but my Kobo purchases (Original, Touch) have always been with the hope to read technical PDFs.

I tried an Aura HD at my local Chapters branch, and the PDF I tried looked great ("Latin For Beginners", available here: http://www.textkit.com/latin_grammar.php) . Easily readable, no need to zoom. Page turns were a bit slow, but well within my tolerance. Haven't tried any of my math PDFs, but I'm confident they'll look good too.

Now I just need to convince myself that the upgrade is worth the price tag
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #385
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
I don't find it too risky a purchase. I own a Glo which is my fave. of the 'lit' readers, and my Mum owns a Kobo Touch. We love our Kobo readers and use them every single day. Now purchasing my very first reader in 2009, which cost a heck of a lot more than the Aura, now that was a risk as I had never seen let alone used any type of eInk device before that.
Hard to believe I got my first e-Ink for Christmas 2009, also sight unseen. That was a huge gamble. I wasn't sure I would like it at all. But I sure loved it the fall of 2010 when I was commuting an hour on the subway every day and got to read the whole time. So much easier to hold an ereader on the train than a book.

Now, almost 3.5 years later, I know more about what I want in an ereader. When I saw the specs on the Glo, I figured that would be my perfect reader, but I'm even more excited about the Aura. So glad I waited on buying the Glo.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #386
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
I'm about the same. I have a Kobo Touch that works great for basic EPUBs, but my Kobo purchases (Original, Touch) have always been with the hope to read technical PDFs.

(snip)

Thankfully Kobo has made some dramatic improvements to the PDF reader in recent firmware releases (for the Touch), so I'm prepared to believe that the Aura will be an amazing reader.

But yeah, the question is: is it worth the price? With so many of the improvements in ereaders being incremental, it is often difficult to tell when to buy and when to hold off.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #387
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post

I tried an Aura HD at my local Chapters branch, and the PDF I tried looked great ("Latin For Beginners", available here: http://www.textkit.com/latin_grammar.php) . Easily readable, no need to zoom. Page turns were a bit slow, but well within my tolerance. Haven't tried any of my math PDFs, but I'm confident they'll look good too.

That book doesn't look great, it is scanned from a text book I take it is why the text looks so bad, it looks even worse on my computer though. Lines of text are curved at the beginning or end of the line depending on if the scanned paged is from the left or right hand page of the book, pages are slanted, some of the text is even cut off, really a bad job of scanning, but better than nothing I guess and it is free after all.

Your eyesight must be better than mine as I would soon have a headache reading text that small even if it was a good scan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3523.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	104880  
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #388
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
@lioslaith and @chrisparker, mine's on it's way from WHSmith UK also. I doubt very much that I will have it tomorrow as it has to take a little trip across the Irish Sea first
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #389
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Thankfully Kobo has made some dramatic improvements to the PDF reader in recent firmware releases (for the Touch), so I'm prepared to believe that the Aura will be an amazing reader.

But yeah, the question is: is it worth the price? With so many of the improvements in ereaders being incremental, it is often difficult to tell when to buy and when to hold off.

That is a tough question. For me, definitely, since my only eInk reader is over 3 years old and does not have a lot of features I want. I was ready to buy a new eReader anyway, I was just waiting for the right one. The Aura will be leaps and bounds above what I have. But, if I had bought the Glo when it came out (like I wanted to), I would not be buying the Aura now. I don't think I could justify the upgrade.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #390
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For someone who needs large size text to be able to read, the HD 6.8 screen is going to be a lot easier to read from then the Glo.
This is my motivation for getting one as well. I am hoping that there will actually be one available at the local WH Smith tomorrow... fingers crossed!
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote