Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #496
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I like my Paperwhite, but my real reader of choice would be the one shown in this video.
I don't feel like mine is too different than those pictures. Most of those lighting situations are places where even my K3 looked that white, so the built in light isn't really changing much. There was one place in the video where, now that I know about them, I could see the shadows. As much as I'm convinced that they doctored some of their still pictures, these look real.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #497
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
You can turn parental controls off and on at will. The problem is, if frozen, you won't be able to access the parental controls and you won't be able to do a reset.

Also, if stolen, you will not be able to turn off the parental controls or deregister it.
Can't you just deregister it from amazon.com?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #498
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Can't deregister if parental controls are on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Can't you just deregister it from amazon.com?
You can't deregister at Amazon.com if parental controls are on. Thus, if the unit is stolen, you will have to work it out with Amazon CS in some manner.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #499
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
I have the parental controls set on mine. I never shop the store through my kindle anyway so its no big deal to me. I like the extra space on the home screen plus it doesn't prevent you from accessing the cloud which is the only part I need.

Doesn't matter if you have the parental control set. Holding the power button restarts it just like with the my kindle 3. I already tried it on mine. When I go to my kindle page on Amazon it still has the option to deregister.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #500
Masa.F
Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Can you narrow the margins when viewing pdf files?
Zooming in does not work at all.
I think it is wasting so much space that pdfs are too small to read.
It would be nice to have full screen mode so that pdfs are shown as big as possible on the screen.
Masa.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #501
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
Returning mine. Looks like 4-5 little flashlights shining up on the page. Amazon super nice. 2-3 week back order but o well.
Your new one is going to be exactly the same. Those "4-5 little flashlights" are the LEDs which provide the illumination. This is inherent in this lighting technology. What's the point of a replacement?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #502
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Your new one is going to be exactly the same. Those "4-5 little flashlights" are the LEDs which provide the illumination. This is inherent in this lighting technology. What's the point of a replacement?
Because so many others in the group have returned theirs. The group, as a whole, has a lot of influence here.

I think it all comes down to individual eyesight. Some are more sensitive to others in the way this screen is lit. That could also explain some of the blotchiness that is being seen. It might not explain all of it, but it could explain a lot.

I, for one, am very happy with mine. This is just one voice in the sea of others. I don't believe that there has ever been a "perfect" gadget. There are always somethings that could be better.

Back to reading!

Last edited by jersysman; 10-14-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Didn't finish my thought
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #503
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Because so many others in the group have returned theirs. The group, as a whole, has a lot of influence here.
Pretty sure the majority of us have done returns/multiple returns because of rainbow blob screens, not the LED lighting.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #504
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
I see a green blob like someone have posted, but this does not bother me. I've just had it, but can't stand a double row of light popped (diamond effect), not just the one needed.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #505
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Pretty sure the majority of us have done returns/multiple returns because of rainbow blob screens, not the LED lighting.
That and holes in the screen (dead pixel effect), bright triangle shaped spot above the light cones, interfering with text, light coming through from the bottom left, stuff stuck beneath the screen creating burnt white shape and the kicker was one that was dead out of the box. But the color blobs seem to be the biggest problem.

On here, I have not heard of anyone returning theirs because they saw the 4 light cones.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #506
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been on the fence about my Paperwhite between, oscillating between "Meh, maybe I should have just stuck with my K3", to "It's good enough vs. my K3 and the benefits outweigh the negatives" and sometimes "Wow! What an upgrade!"

This weekend I left the K3 behind and only read with the Paperwhite... night reading, beach reading in full sunlight, and everything in between... if I'd stop reading and look VERY CLOSELY at the screen I'd go back to questioning again, especially in full sunlight... "well, it's NOT QUITE as good as the K3 screen... if I try really hard I can see that the text is below the surface and I can just barely make out the layer on top...", but I kept coming back to how the light, size, and other benefits outweighed that minor setback...

Today I took out my K3 to get it ready to give to my son, looked at it under average indoor lighting, and my immediate reaction was "man, this thing is so yellow... ugh! And the font rendering is horrendous!" It suddenly hit me... it'd be HARD to go back! I'm done waffling, I've decided... the Paperwhite is, no questions asked, a definite improvement.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #507
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@twowheels: Yeah, compared to the K3 it's a nicer size. Compared to the K4 not so much, but the software makes up for it.
Darn, you can still go to the beach in October?!
*jealous*
Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #508
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
@twowheels: Yeah, compared to the K3 it's a nicer size. Compared to the K4 not so much, but the software makes up for it.
Darn, you can still go to the beach in October?!
*jealous*
Sure, though we can't go in the water much, even in the middle of summer... the Pacific Ocean is too cold and rough for swimming! [at least anywhere north of Southern CA]
Old 10-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #509
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Sure, though we can't go in the water much, even in the middle of summer... the Pacific Ocean is too cold and rough for swimming! [at least anywhere north of Southern CA]
OK, that makes me feel a tiny bit better.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #510
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
OK, that makes me feel a tiny bit better.
....went swimming in the sea saturday.......
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote